Options

Is it okay to leave fridge on while towing?

Hi,
Straight forward question here - I have a 2015 T@B clamshell with the fridge in the back. Is it okay to leave fridge on while towing? I know the fridge is supposed to be level when its on to run properly. Curious if its alright to leave it on while on the road. thanks 

Comments

• Options
    rkj__rkj__ Member Posts: 641
    Yup, it's ok.
    2016 T@b 320 CS-S - 2018 GMC Sierra - St. Catharines, Ontario, Canada
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,512
    I do not think that it is essential to have the 2 way frig level for operation.  

Yes, you can run the frig via battery when towing, but keep in mind that it will draw down the Tab battery if you stop for a break.  Depending on your TV alternator output, it may not keep up with the cooling.  It may be best to disconnect your 7 pin when you stop unless your TV line is isolated (to prevent drawing down the TV battery).
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    rkj__rkj__ Member Posts: 641
    From what I have read, the 2-way fridge is more efficient than the 3-way fridge when running on DC.  I think disconnecting the 7 pin is a little extreme, and possibly dangerous if you forget to reconnect it.  
    2016 T@b 320 CS-S - 2018 GMC Sierra - St. Catharines, Ontario, Canada
  • Options
    cmaccmac Member Posts: 90
    We have a 2 way fridge and tow all the time with it on including up/down many mountains in Colorado and New Mexico.  Our TV's alternator handles the voltage fine.  We only unhook the 7 pin if we will be stopped for an extended time - say more than an hour - someplace (sightseeing), just to be sure the TV's battery isn't adversely affected.

John & Cheryl
    2007 T@B ClamShell by Dutchman "Goli@th"
    2018 Chevy Colorado V-6
    Edmond, OK
  • Options
    MarcelineMarceline Member Posts: 1,505
    cmac said:
    We have a 2 way fridge and tow all the time with it on including up/down many mountains in Colorado and New Mexico.  Our TV's alternator handles the voltage fine.  We only unhook the 7 pin if we will be stopped for an extended time - say more than an hour - someplace (sightseeing), just to be sure the TV's battery isn't adversely affected.

Same here and I just finished about 3,000 mi of driving. I have a 2-way fridge. When I'm hooked to shore power I turn it to the coldest setting a few hours before breaking camp. Then when I hit the road I dial it back it to a medium setting.  I also keep blue ice in the freezer compartment so when I turn the temperature setting down from the coldest setting the ice pack helps keep the fridge cold. I also drive with my lights on as it seems that this boosts the alternator output on some vehicles.  If you turn off the fridge completely while driving and you're driving 5 hours in 90deg heat you're going to end up having to throw away most everything in your fridge.  I don't disconnect from TV for rest stops - only when I reach my campsite. 
    San Francisco Bay Area
    2013 CS-S us@gi
    Battered but trusty 3.5l V6 Hyundai Santa Fe
    2015 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner Double Cab
  • Options
    SGH0004SGH0004 Member Posts: 62

When we got home from the last trip I unhooked the 7 pin so not to drain the TV battery. The next day I needed to take it to have some maintenance done & realized about 4 miles down the road that I forgot to hook it back up.  Yikes!  It also fell down & drug the ground just enough to wear the plastic around the plug thin.  Luckily still works & holds in place.  Unhooking the 7 pin is not a good idea for someone as absent minded as myself.  LOL

• Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    Sticky note on the steering wheel? Apple watch reminder? I'm the same way (absent minded). You aren't the only one. I put label reminders all through the inside of my T@B (Is the Propane OFF? Is the Alde OFF? Is the pump OFF? Is the frig OFF?) - they were all placed in strategic areas - seriously. Have label maker will use!! It's great for labeling the valves for summer (in season) settings and winter settings. V has a great pict of her labeling skillz! 
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    edited August 2017
    When I have an extension cord connected to the ARB in the truck (especially when it is routed out the rear passenger window), I put the reusable lime green tie on the steering wheel. I haven't taken off with it attached since I started this. Use something you can't miss--bright orange, lime green, etc. And, put it on top of the steering wheel. It's really hard to miss there!
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”