Options

Odor When Flushing Toilet

On our first several trips, we did not notice any odor when flushing the toilet.  However, on our last couple trips, we have noticed it, with no change in what we have been doing.

When exiting a park, I dump the black tank, then the gray.
When arriving home, I add 2-3 toilet bowls full of water, and some tank treatment.
https://boutique.marinagosselin.com/en/product/products/7607-0-aqua-tek-super-enzo-holding-tank-treatment.html

Then, I call it ready to go for next trip.

The smell is only noticeable when flushing. 

The only things I can think of are adding more chemical, using a different chemical, or perhaps there is a venting / tank pressure issue.

Any ideas?

2016 T@b 320 CS-S - 2018 GMC Sierra - St. Catharines, Ontario, Canada

Comments

• Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    edited August 2017
    You might have to reach down inside the hole with a toilet bowl brush (or rubber gloves and a small hand brush) and scrub the rubber sleeve just below where the water exits the bowl.  When you push down on the handle you will see the sleeve below the release mechanism that keeps the water in the bowl.  You can also buy a plastic water jet attachment for the waste drain outlet that allows you to attach a garden hose at the dump station and jet water back into the tank to break up any potential solid material that could be attached to the sides of the black tank.  They also make a wand that you can attach to a garden hose that you can stick down through the stool area that jets water around the inside of the black tank and breaks up debris and material .

I also use some Palmolive dish soap and have dumped a little Woolite down there too while traveling to keep things moving.  Everyone has their own personal preferences for this task and for me personally, I use the blue powder chemical porti-potti packets as they work great and eliminate any odors.   I've been using them for many years now as I previously have used the Thetford porti-potti's when camping and traveling.  

Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
  • Options
    ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    One suggestion: we usually will make sure that the ceiling fan is blowing in, and not out, whenever we expect to flush.
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    RollingBnBRollingBnB Member Posts: 322
    I just use this stuff from Wallyworld. Works good and it's cheap.
    https://www.walmart.com/ip/Campa-Chem-Liquid-Holding-Tank-Deodorant-6-Pack/4016#about-item
    2020 Tiffin Open Road
    2020 Nissan Versa Toad 
    Alan & Patty
    Southern Az
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    You might not be using enough water. I am pretty generous with water when I flush and pour some down when I flush.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    sherm2954sherm2954 Member Posts: 38
    I don't have a T@b yet, but I have a houseboat with a 105 Gallon black tank. Yuck! And the temps hit 100+ in the summer. I use Happy Camper tank treatment. It's biodegradable and there's almost no smell.....ever. when I buy my T@b 400, I will only use Happy Camper.
  • Options
    HomebodyatheartHomebodyatheart Member Posts: 2,497
    @sherm2954 I am scent sensitive, and this product was recommended on this forum. I can't be much happier with it! It does the job well, no odor either in the tanks, or the dump hose. I'm impressed, and sold on the stuff! It also takes up very little space in the cupboard, another plus!
    2017 T@B 320 Max S silver and cherry red, L@dybug ("Bug" aka my esc@pe pod), TV 2015 Toyota Highlander aka Big Red
  • Options
    @sherm2954 I am scent sensitive, and this product was recommended on this forum. I can't be much happier with it! It does the job well, no odor either in the tanks, or the dump hose. I'm impressed, and sold on the stuff! It also takes up very little space in the cupboard, another plus!
    I see that this stuff can be purchased in a powder form (impressive) and will have to give it a try!  One or two scoops???  
  • Options
    ericnlizericnliz Member Posts: 4,437
    :rofl:, Mike, it's NOT Raisin Bran!!! :lol::lightbulb:
    2016 T@B MAX S-aka: WolfT@B
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.
    Eric aka: Lone Wolf  

• Options
    edited August 2017
     :o  I stay AWAY from that stuff as otherwise I'd need 4 scoops!  
  • Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    :rofl:
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    SeadusterSeaduster Member Posts: 147
    I use 1 scoop of Happy Camper and a gallon of water after each dump.
    2017 white/black trim T@B Outback; 2017 white Subaru Outback; Seattle
  • Options
    Ha, OR the WHOLE BOX!!!!! ;)
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.

• Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    One scoop and flush with lots of water. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    Thanks for gettin' us back on track, oh wise magic wand lady!!!!! ;)
    Spokane, Wa.

• Options
    sherm2954sherm2954 Member Posts: 38
    I see that this stuff can be purchased in a powder form (impressive) and will have to give it a try!  One or two scoops???  

In a 105 gallon tank, I start with 4 scoops, so try one to start, then adjust! 
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    I've been using Happy Camper since spring--1 scoop with plenty of water. This extremely hot weather will cause the decomposition of bodily waste to speed up, which would cause more smells. In 90*+ weather, I use 1 1/2 scoops and that has been better for hot weather. I'll go back down to one scoop when the temps go back down n the low 80's or below. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    @Michigan_Mike I believe it is one scoop for a 40 gallon tank, except that I spoke with the owner in Oregon and he said one scoop in our tanks(because I asked about using a half scoop). I like that it has zero odor, that it is in a smaller container and is lightweight. Further testimonial from here is that I use the tank for it's intended purpose (1 and 2) and have never had tank smells, or a smelly hose! My trip last weekend I had a new first. First time with zero water at the dump station, nothing in either hose! There was a system malfunction in the park, so no water anywhere till they fixed it. This happened on Sunday right before check out time. Anyhow, I tossed my hose in a garbage sack, left it in the back yard till I could get to it. Yesterday I rinsed it out. And there was NO smell! I'm sold!  =)
    2017 T@B 320 Max S silver and cherry red, L@dybug ("Bug" aka my esc@pe pod), TV 2015 Toyota Highlander aka Big Red
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    TrikePete said:
    On the last camping day, at the dump station, dump your remaining ice into the toilet to generate volume so it pushes out any residues stuck in the black tank. At home I then add the chemical (citrus smell) with one gal of water so it's ready for the next trip.
    https://youtu.be/iH6acEmqvcw

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    luvmytabluvmytab Member Posts: 66
    @Michigan_Mike I believe it is one scoop for a 40 gallon tank, except that I spoke with the owner in Oregon and he said one scoop in our tanks(because I asked about using a half scoop). I like that it has zero odor, that it is in a smaller container and is lightweight. Further testimonial from here is that I use the tank for it's intended purpose (1 and 2) and have never had tank smells, or a smelly hose! My trip last weekend I had a new first. First time with zero water at the dump station, nothing in either hose! There was a system malfunction in the park, so no water anywhere till they fixed it. This happened on Sunday right before check out time. Anyhow, I tossed my hose in a garbage sack, left it in the back yard till I could get to it. Yesterday I rinsed it out. And there was NO smell! I'm sold!  

This will be the first time I use the toilet after owning my T@B 2 years. I cannot tell by reading this thread which product you are recommending but it sounds good. Please advise....hopefully i can get it at wally world as we are leaving in 2 days.

Also, do we dump the packet in everytime we fill with solids or once, just before leaving on the outing?????

I haven't even started trying to figure out how to empty at the dump station yet.....any suggestions on a thread?  Thank you!!

Barbara in Durango... T@B Max S 2015...Red & White... pull with 2016 Toyota Forerunner
  • Options
    PS: the packs are for 40 gallon tanks and T@Bs are 6 gal black and 19 gray ...but i guess you can't really use half of these packets
    Barbara in Durango... T@B Max S 2015...Red & White... pull with 2016 Toyota Forerunner
  • Options
    I am looking at the Pure Power Blue Bio-Pouch that came with the T@B.... 3 were included........is this the same that is being recommended in this thread???? Yikes, i need a new brain!!!!
  • Options
    jgram2jgram2 Member Posts: 1,522
    @luvmytab I think it's a product called Happy Camper
    John, Judi, Guinness & OD in PDX
    T@Bit@t 2015 S Max Outback, ‘18 V6 4Runner 

• Options
    ChrisandAlexisChrisandAlexis Member Posts: 120
    luvmytab,

Here is link for instructions on how to empty your black and grey water tanks at the dump station: https://www.sanidumps.com/howtoemptyyourtanks.php

Chris and Alexis-- Roseville, California--2017 T@B CS-S--Toyota 4Runner
  • Options
    @luvmytab, here is the Amazon link to Happy Campers product. I would think you can also get it locally, but I don't know for sure as I'm on my first jar. No, it is not the blue packets you got. It is a fine white odor free powder in a plastic jar with a scoop included. I like it's simplicity, and size for storage. No we don't have 40 gallon tanks, yes, they still recommend a full scoop according to the owner. I put one scoop town the toilet, a half scoop down the shower drain, and a half scoop down the sink drain, all followed with water so the tanks have a little something in them during transit, etc. I'm sold, and all odor free. Love the stuff! Good luck!

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005XEFADU/ref=abs_brd_tag_dp?smid=A1815T1WTEU1A3
  • Options
    Oh, and @luvmytab, BREATHE! You can do this, and all goofs make great campfire stories! Trust me... ;)
  • Options
    i will use my blue packs for this trip (regional folk music festival)and will order the happy camper for the CA/WA trip the end of september and thanks for the tip homebodyatheart, I will breathe!!!!
  • Options
    chris&alexis, i have printed out the instructions for emptying grey and black water tanks that you suggested.....look like it covers everyting! thank you