Options

Ohio Newbie

ChucklecChucklec Member Posts: 16
Will pick up our 2018 T@B 320 Max S on Tuesday.  Wife (Kathy) and I are long-time tent campers.  We both retired last December, and decided that, although we still liked camping, we weren't that crazy about sleeping on the ground and walking to toilets in the middle of the night.  We've long thought that "Teardrops" were cool, but the lack of toilet/indoor kitchen made one a non-starter for us.  In June we were tent camping and had a gentleman in an Airstream Sport 16 parked next to us.  He gave us a tour and we were intrigued.  Last week we decided to take a closer look at the local Airstream dealer (Columbus, OH).  While there, the salesman actually seemed more interested in connecting us with the T@B we ultimately bought (little more reasonably priced, too!).

Between our dealer visit on Monday and the reservation deposit on Tuesday, I spent several hours on this forum and got very comfortable with the T@B. Really appreciate all of the insight from the members!  I've got my dealer pick-up checklist printed out and will be ordering the getting-started necessities from Amazon tomorrow based on forum ideas.

Owning the T@B seems to involve learning a lot, but we are psyched to get going.  After a local shake-down trip, we're planning a week or so in Michigan in September. 
2018 T@G 320 S (silver on silver); TV=2016 Kia Sorento V-6 AWD

Comments

• Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    Chucklec said:
    Will pick up our 2018 T@B 320 Max S on Tuesday.  Wife (Kathy) and I are long-time tent campers.  We both retired last December, and decided that, although we still liked camping, we weren't that crazy about sleeping on the ground and walking to toilets in the middle of the night.  We've long thought that "Teardrops" were cool, but the lack of toilet/indoor kitchen made one a non-starter for us.  In June we were tent camping and had a gentleman in an Airstream Sport 16 parked next to us.  He gave us a tour and we were intrigued.  Last week we decided to take a closer look at the local Airstream dealer (Columbus, OH).  While there, the salesman actually seemed more interested in connecting us with the T@B we ultimately bought (little more reasonably priced, too!).

Between our dealer visit on Monday and the reservation deposit on Tuesday, I spent several hours on this forum and got very comfortable with the T@B. Really appreciate all of the insight from the members!  I've got my dealer pick-up checklist printed out and will be ordering the getting-started necessities from Amazon tomorrow based on forum ideas.

Owning the T@B seems to involve learning a lot, but we are psyched to get going.  After a local shake-down trip, we're planning a week or so in Michigan in September. 
    Welcome and Congrats! What color did you get?

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    T@BalongT@Balong Member Posts: 317
    Sounds like another T@B sold itself, why are we not surprised?   Congrats and welcome!   And have a great time when you come here to Michigan, where are you headed?
    2015 T@B 320 S, 2019 Jeep Cherokee
    States Visited Map
  • Options
    HomebodyatheartHomebodyatheart Member Posts: 2,494
    Congratulations! This forum, the people you meet here, and of course the T@b's themselves are all awesome! Don't forget the code of conduct...pictures or it never happened!  =)
    2017 T@B 320 Max S silver and cherry red, L@dybug ("Bug" aka my esc@pe pod), TV 2015 Toyota Highlander aka Big Red
  • Options
    jgram2jgram2 Member Posts: 1,522
    Never fear! We had a 2 day shakedown stay 30 miles from home and learned a lot. Then we had a 5+ week, 4900 mile trip this summer and learned more. Now we're 50 miles from home, on a 2 night total eclipse trip and learned yet more-no hookups, so propane fridge use and chary electrical use. If we stop learning, we'll begin to decay, and we're not quite ready for that side of the grass just yet! The T@B, the places and the people are all part of the incredible! You will have so much fun! Travel happy!
    John, Judi, Guinness & OD in PDX
    T@Bit@t 2015 S Max Outback, ‘18 V6 4Runner 

• Options
    DINDAnLANDINDAnLAN Member Posts: 75
    Congrats and Happy Trails!
    Linda & Dan
    Cleveland, Ohio
    2018 Ford F150 XLT pulling a 2020 T@B 400
    LIFE IS GOOD!
  • Options
    ericnlizericnliz Member Posts: 4,437
    Welcome aboard!! Time to go have fun & have some memorable adventures! :)  
    2016 T@B MAX S-aka: WolfT@B
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.
    Eric aka: Lone Wolf  

• Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    Welcome aboard and GO BLUE!!!  
    Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
  • Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    Congratz and welcome!!
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    Thanks to all for the kind, welcoming words!

@jkjenn - Silver on silver
    @T@Balong - MI itinerary is still a bit squishy.  Definitely want to visit Traverse City and Sleeping Bear Dunes.  Any ideas for campgrounds or must-visit wineries appreciated.
    @Homebodyatheart - will add pictures after T@B pick-up at dealer on Tuesday.
  • Options
    T@BalongT@Balong Member Posts: 317
    The Traverse City area and the Leelanau Peninsula have too many wineries to count and list here but they are awesome............I'm sure there are wine tours and literature describing them.   Don't miss Old Mission Peninsula between the two arms of Grand Traverse Bay.   For some great camping in Sleeping Bear Dunes, check out the Platte River Campground in the southern part of the park.   It's very popular but very nice.   Loops 1, 3, and 4 have reserved sites, though Loop 4 does not have electricity.  Loop 2 does not take reservations so at the right time you should be able to find a place if you can't make a reservation.  Further south, Ludington State Park is a real gem!   Enjoy your trip!
    2015 T@B 320 S, 2019 Jeep Cherokee
    States Visited Map
  • Options
    OK, picked up my T@B and it's now sitting next to my driveway.  After checking costs to store it somewhere, Kathy (my wife) and I decided that we should put a parking pad next to my driveway.  No takers from the three contractors I contacted, so we decided to do it ourselves.  I'm sore!  Getting too old for these projects.

We slept in the T@B last night, with rain and thunderstorms from midnight til 6 a.m.  Good test and everything seems OK.  Will head out to a nearby state park for a night or two Thursday or Friday,

@T@Balong - Thanks for the great campsite tips!  MI trip will be later this month.

Homebodyatheart - it happened!  Here's the proof:

• Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    If you get up by the Big Mac, Wilderness State Park DOES have full hook-up sites that are nice and just off the water.  They are limited in the number sites available so you should book a site in advance.  Otherwise you could just stay in the state park camping area which is very nice too.  This is about 8 miles or so from Mackinaw City and the ferries to Mackinac Island.  Great fudge, food, pasties and touristy stuff in Mackinac City and I highly recommend breakfast or lunch, etc. at Darrow's Family Restaurant!  Great tasting food and homemade pies too!  

For dark sky viewing this is just down the road from the Wilderness SP area and called The Headlands International Dark Sky Park.  They have a parking area and night sky viewing area too.  If you have a red lens for a flashlight you can walk back into this area and is one of a few designated black sky viewing areas in Michigan.   

Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
  • Options
    HomebodyatheartHomebodyatheart Member Posts: 2,494
    @Chucklec, :rofl: Thanks for the pics! Your new T@b looks beautiful, and I love your parking space for her, too.  It is nice to come home, unload, park and be done with that part of things. Plus, they are great hiding places when you need to be home but you need to get away, and putting in a movie, hanging out for the afternoon is relaxing! Enjoy your journey!
    2017 T@B 320 Max S silver and cherry red, L@dybug ("Bug" aka my esc@pe pod), TV 2015 Toyota Highlander aka Big Red
  • Options
    @Michigan_Mike, thanks for your campground tips (and congrats on your recent nuptials!).  MI trip is now firmed up.  Leave Columbus area Sunday and stay at Sleepy Hollow S.P.  Monday and Tuesday nights at Wilderness, Wed. and Thursday at Petosky, and the weekend at Travis City S.P.  Still a little undecided after that, but probably overnights at Ludington and Holland and then back home.  Pictures upon return.

@Homebodyatheart, I like "hiding place" idea.  Need to run the cable out there!
  • Options
    GailandJohnGailandJohn Member Posts: 123
    I'm envious of your Michigan trip! I have family near Muskegon and have been up there many times in my life. In fact, I'll be there in a couple of weeks and will be going up to Sleeping Bear dune while there. However, I'll be flying instead of camping. I don't have enough time to drive from Texas. Looking forward to seeing your pictures!

Gail & John