Options

Alde heating in the 400

AlanAlan Member Posts: 120
edited September 2017 in Heating/Plumbing & Winterizing
in T@B 400. Alde is heating water awesomely. However, we are not getting heat. There will be coolness where we are going so we'd like heat. Any advice would be welcome.

Comments

• Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861

Hi Alan,

Have you got the Alde operating manual with you?   I know you have the latest and greatest set-up but need to check the Alde thermostat located just inside the door and up on the left-hand side on the wall to the left of the sink.  We do have a reference Alde operating manual for the 3010 system here on the forum, but I would expect that you would have one with you in your new trailer.  

I would look at your temperature settings (they are probably similar as below) and what you could do to test the heat is to run the inside setting up and above the outdoor temperature.  One thing to note is that the Alde heating unit is similar to baseboard heat inside a home and it does take some time for the heat to radiate out and within the trailer.  But there again, you have a newer system onboard, one I am not totally familar with, nor have I used so things no doubt are different.  Maybe @skwhee (Steve) will see this discussion and step in and give you more help as him and Karen are very familiar with this and should be able to steer you down the right path.  

Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
  • Options
    skwheeskwhee Member Posts: 246

@Alan @Michigan_Mike

Yes, the T@B-400 is equipped with the Alde 3010!

If you are getting hot water, then the Alde is apparently working. 

To be certain one of you should go out and open the Alde access door on the trailer’s driver’s side at the rear (The Alde is under the bed.) to listen while the other turns the unit on. Turn on the Electric Heat on 2 and you should hear a click. Turn on the Propane Heat and you will hear the burner start up. 

It usually takes longer than you would expect to bring the temperature up inside the cabin because the unit is heating the Alde fluid that flows through the radiator system. If you want to heat it more quickly, set the Electric Heat to 2 and turn on the Propane Heat at the same time. Of course once you are up to a comfortable temperature you can turn off the Propane although the unit will do that itself. For Electric Heat always set it on 2.

Hope this helps!

Steve & Karen

Steve and Karen Cullowhee, North Carolina 2008 Ford F150 --2018 T@B 400
  • Options
    Still no heat. 1. We have hot water 2. Pump is running 3. Glycol filled to max in reservoir 4. In a 8 inch bit of plastic tubing showing in the floor of the Alde compartment half has glycol half has air 5. Have tried increasing pump speed from wall panel (not sure if we have remote control on that) to no avail.??? Any Alde experts out there?

• Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,507
    Possible Alde glycol air lock?
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    The majority of the pumps installed do not have the remote control and can't be controlled from the Alde panel. Adjusting the speed of the pump is manual. There's a tiny adjustment on the front of the pump. This may NOT hold true for the 400. 

If you have hot water, it's the pump that moves the glycol for the radiant heat. You may be hearing the converter fan and mistaking it for the pump (or not if you can hear the pump speeding up and the reservoir gurgling. Can you loosen the cap to the reservoir and then turn on the heat? You may have air lock.
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    What have you got the temperature set at on your digital thermostat?   Run it up to 26.6667 celsius and see if that makes a difference since you appear to be up in Canada.  Take a photo of your thermostat settings and temperature and post it up here too.  I will add that my first digital thermostat was defective and needed replacing.  Maybe you have a defective thermostat?   

Since you have a new T@B 400 have you spoken to or contacted your dealer?   If you cannot resolve the issue yourself you should contact the dealer up there as this should be an easy problem to resolve.  
    Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
  • Options
    ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    I'm thinking the clear plastic tube you mention might be the glycol bleeder / relief tube, in which case it could normally have air and glycol in it. Small diameter tube? Does it exit out the floor? I don't know the 400 at all. Photos?
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    @ChanW, both T@B models have the same 3010 model of Alde. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    @Alsn, it might be time to consider calling Alde technical assistance for help. The telephone number should be in the paperwork you received when you purchased your 400. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    VickeyPVickeyP Member Posts: 47
    edited September 2017
    I think we have the same issue, new 400, good hot water but no heat, so am following this thread. Please post solutions, it would be much appreciated. We are in PA camping so fall is coming on and we may need heat. Thanks!
    2018 T@B 400 Sw@llowt@il  - 2015 Highlander - Dunedin, Florida
    "Not all that wander are lost..." J. R. R. Tolkien

• Options
    I have in contact with Spencer Tangeman at Alde. Very cooperative and pleasant, but no solution yet. He said to check the two white connectors on the unit since had heard that at least one new unit had loose one. The Alde compartment is "relatively" accessible and we could hear the pump working. I'm a little afraid to adjust the speed on the pump, it is tiny and I can't see the numbers and I'm old and clumsy and chicken. 
  • Options
    We may, emphasis on the may, have heat this morning. We did the lower then raise protocol suggested in the manual. But we have also poked and prodded bits. Time will tell. VickeyP I'll keep you informed. I'm not particularly sanguine and yet hopeful
  • Options
    Thanks, no heat here yet so still interested. 

• Options
    I am more confident. Two nights with heat. I'm not really sure why, but we are pleased.
  • Options
    Glad to hear you have heat! I hope to speak with Spencer at Alde tomorrow. Cheers.

• Options
    Update - had our baby in to have a small leak fixed and asked the tech about the heating. He reassured me the heating was working and proceeded to show me how to set the thermostat on the Dometic control panel. I have used that for AC but thought the Alde screen controlled the heat, duh. User error as usual. But now I have heat and don't have to scurry south ahead of the fall color show, very happy.

• Options
    atlasbatlasb Member Posts: 583
    The Dometic thermostat does control the heat pump part of the A/C.  Don't know that it works the Alde heat system though.  We checked the Alde heat this week now that it gets cooler in the morning.  It is controlled with the Alde thermostat using the upper line with the temp and the little house icon.  When we first used the alde we thought that was the outside temp but was told it is to set the temp on the Alde.  We had it sat at 82deg. and was running the A/C to cool the cabin.  Apparently the alde was trying to heat us to 82 and the cool cat was trying to cool us to 77.  Both systems are independent.  You might want to verify this, but this is how we understand it works.  The Alde is new to us as our past 320 did not have it but did have the cool cat.  We used the cool cat for heat down to about 40 then it is not very effective.  Had the Atwood gas system also in the 320.  You will need to also check the Alde information on how to use both the gas and the electric parts together.  It does work real nice when you figure it all out!
    2018 T@B 400, 2017 Nissan Titan Crew cab
  • Options
    atlasbatlasb Member Posts: 583
    We also learned the Dometic thermostat would allow us to set the fan to 3 different fan speeds.  Low, High and auto.  We find that we like it set on the Low fan speed.  It runs constantly on low or high but the auto cycles on and off.  To us, the cycling lets it get warm then comes on cools down then gets warm.  constantly cycling hot,cool, hot again.  With the fan always on, it seems to keep a more consistent temp inside.
    2018 T@B 400, 2017 Nissan Titan Crew cab
  • Options
    skwheeskwhee Member Posts: 246
    @VickeyP @atlasb
    Indeed, the Dometic and the Alde are separate systems. The Dometic thermostat controls the CoolCat air conditioner/heat pump. As mentioned, it will provide heat but only down to about 40F. nüCamp uses this model primarily because it it the most robust RV air conditioner around. 

The Alde is provided as the primary cabin heat and is controlled from the Alde thermostat. As previously mentioned, the Alde is a radiant heat system. Spend some time getting to know the Alde digital thermostat.

It does take a while to first heat the glycol that then heat the cabin. You can speed the process by setting the Electric Heat to 2 and turning on Propane Heat at the same time.

If this doesn't help then we suggest contacting your dealer for system troubleshooting or calling Alde Customer Service.  But don't let that interrupt an autumn foliage trip. If temps are predicted to drop below 40, invest in an inexpensive ceramic heater to get you through until you can get to your dealer. Remember though to winterize if temps are predicted to drop below freezing.

Happy Trails!
    Steve & Karen
    Steve and Karen Cullowhee, North Carolina 2008 Ford F150 --2018 T@B 400
  • Options
    Thanks for the comments, they are helpful.

The Dometic fan does not go on with Auto and Furnace mode left showing on the control panel, set to 78 (inside temp is 66). It does blow air on Low setting but it is not warm air, nowhere near 78.

Alde is set to 86 with electric 2 and gas on, no warmth. Have tried setting pump to Continuous and Therm, no warmth. Alan, can you please describe the 'lower then raise' protocol, I can't find that in my manual. Thanks.

• Options
    Update - Dometic on and warming up! Much better!

• Options
    Somewhere in the Alde manual to address a persistent airlock. 
    1. Using the front jack (where the wheel goes) lower the front as much possible and leave it for several minutes
    2. Using the same jack, raise the front as much as possible and wait again.
    3. Relevel and stabilize. 
  • Options
    Thank you!