What Do People Think Of The New Little Guy MAX Compared To The T@B 400?

newbienewbie Member Posts: 30
Saw the new Little Guy MAX at an RV show yesterday.  They are obviously trying to compete with the 400.  Similar in many ways, but the Little Guy is a bit longer with a full queen size bed.  Styling doesn't look as sleek to me, but what do others think?
2018 T@B 400 - 2017 Chevy Colorado

Comments

• AMacAMac Member Posts: 75
    One feature alone eliminated the LG MAX from us even consdering it, which was the straight line configuration of the rear of the trailer, vs. the 400 which kicks up in the back. We would never have been able to get the MAXX in our steepish driveway without it striking the ground at the back end. 400 is no problem.  Like the styling of the 400 much better too.
  • RoameyRoamey Member Posts: 239
    edited September 2017
    I agree with AMac, but I can't see trying to camp for an extended period without hook-ups and running the refrigerator off the battery.  I want propane available and have no interest in solar panels. I like to keep things simple and uncluttered. The LG Max is 3' longer and 210 lbs heavier, so it is a different trailer rather than comparable. You can see the the specs side by side here:
    https://jenngrover.com/2017/08/just-ther-facts-tb-400-vs-lg-max/

T@B trip wherever
    New surprises everyday
       See beautiful world
  • atlasbatlasb Member Posts: 583
    We love the new norcold 2 way fridge.  Had the 3 way in our 320 and it ate the battery.  The 2 way has a compressor and works much better.  Don't miss the propane option for the fridge as we hardly used it that way.  Love our 400 and the way it functions and looks!
    2018 T@B 400, 2017 Nissan Titan Crew cab
  • sherm2954sherm2954 Member Posts: 38
    edited September 2017
    Style: 400
    Length: 400
    Departure angle: 400
    Windows: Maxx
    Fridge: Maxx
    Bathroom: 400
    Tanks: 400

Overall: 400
    To my eye, there's something just not quite "right" with the proportions of the Maxx.

• jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,389
    Having seen both, to me there are three large differentiators: boondocking capabilities, the bathroom, and sit and finish and the 400 wins big in all three. I was a little shocked at how Spartan the Max bathroom looked. I also would have a hard time even considering the Max until they upgrade the boondocking capabilities.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• PhotomomPhotomom Member Posts: 2,217
    Style is a matter of taste. I haven't seen either in person, but the cabinetry in the Max is much more appealing to me. Disclaimer: I do not own anything from Ikea, and never will!
    John and Henrietta, Late 2016 T@B S Max in Western New York
  • RoameyRoamey Member Posts: 239
    To my eye, there's something just not quite "right" with the proportions of the Maxx.
    It looks butt heavy.
       T@B trip wherever
    New surprises everyday
       See beautiful world
    Yes. It looks too long and too low at the tail. But you can pay extra to lift it so it won't scrape! 
    Lifting would help some, but the departure angle is still problematic and I don't believe you would eliminate scraping.

Photomom said:
    Style is a matter of taste. I haven't seen either in person, but the cabinetry in the Max is much more appealing to me. Disclaimer: I do not own anything from Ikea, and never will!
    The differences in fit and finish is where I noticed a huge difference. I think if you were inside of both, you would see a fairly large quality gap between the two. I saw spots in cabinets where things were not nailed or glued down properly on the Max. It might have been. Abuse at the dealer or from someone taking it out, but it looked suspect, to me. I also really love the curved cupboard on the corner, below the sink on the 400. 

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

I'd buy the 400 today if it had a larger fridge. 
  • GailandJohnGailandJohn Member Posts: 123
    jkjenn said:
    I also would have a hard time even considering the Max until they upgrade the boondocking capabilities.
    @jkjenn, what do you see as the deficits in boondocking capabilities? I noticed that the tanks aren't quite as large as the 400. Anything else?

Gail & John 

• TabberJohnTabberJohn Member Posts: 588

I don't know what the bottom of the 400 looks like, but one thing that struck me in the youtube "comparison" review of the LG Max was a number of objects sticking way down underneath. Perhaps that's so you can get some mowing done when you drive through a grassy field. ;) 
    Compare the side profile for both units and note placement of the axle. There is no way the tail end of the LG Max isn't going to bottom out on rolling forest roads. The 400 has a swept up tail end with better placed axle for clearance. 
    Both models are at the tipping point from "teardrop" to full size camper trailer. That moves them into a different class of RV with changes in TV requirements, storage options, and where you can take them.

2015 T@B Max S (White/Silver) -> 2014 Ford Escape 2.0L (turbo, AWD, factory tow)
    @TabberJohn, yes I also have the concern about the placement of the axle, though I'm not convinced that the 400 is any better prepared for going down rolling forest roads, something that we likely would not do anyway. As far as the stuff underneath, my understanding is that the lowest point underneath the Max is 15.5 inches. I noticed that the spare tire on the 400 appears quite low, though I haven't found any numbers on clearance. The Max also comes in a "Rough Rider" edition that is apparently higher off the ground. I agree about the size. We're thinking that when we pay off our Grand Caravan in the next year or so, we may upgrade our TV and TT, so we're starting to shop and make comparisons. We would buy used, so we might be looking at a 2018 in a year or two.

Gail & John 

jkjenn said:
    I also would have a hard time even considering the Max until they upgrade the boondocking capabilities.
    @jkjenn, what do you see as the deficits in boondocking capabilities? I noticed that the tanks aren't quite as large as the 400. Anything else?
    Good question. All tanks sizes are smaller on the max, it comes with a standard 75ah battery versus the very large AGM (230ah, if I recall correctly) battery on the 400, the Aide is very efficient for heat and hot water. Lastly, the Mac's entertainment system all requires shore power or an inverter. The 400 uses 12v, which would use far less energy. 

Actually, my understanding is that the television requires shore power, but not the rest of the entertainment system. I haven't been able to compare them in person, but on videos it looks like the lowest part on both is the gray/black water drain and it looks to be about the same height on both. I agree with the concern about the sharp corner on the back of the Max. Also, the larger fridge (3 way) would take more power. I think the Max has much more storage space than the 400 but I agree about the bathroom. If we upgrade, one of the main reasons will be for more leg room and head room in the bathroom for my tall husband. Not sure the Max will be enough of an improvement and I do like the pull down sink in the bathroom of the 400. However, I think nuCamp made a mistake in the strange shape of the dinette area, so that at one end it is quite narrow and another reason for us to upgrade is so that we have a place for our two little grandsons to sleep. Tank sizes on the Max are smaller, though I think the tank sizes are small on both, and with our Outback.

Gail & John 

• marknjudymarknjudy Member Posts: 378
    edited January 2018
    @gailandjohn, regarding the bathroom, they look very similar in size - which is not very big if you're 6'-2" and 230. While my 5'2" wife loves the 400 shower because of the sink, I don't think it'll work for me because of the sink, folded up or not. I'm going to have to go search through both of them closely. There is just too much I like/ don't like about both of them to make a decision without spending an hour or so in both. Fortunately, there is a dealer in Round Rock, TX that sells both! :)
    Mark - 2016 T@b Max S (Silver/Red), 2012 F-150
    marknjudy said:
    @gailandjohn, regarding the bathroom, they look very similar in size - which is not very big if you're 6'-2" and 230. While my 5'2" wife loves the 400 shower because of the sink, I don't think it'll work for me because of the sink, folded up or not. I'm going to have to go search through both of them closely. There is just too much I like/ don't like about both of them to make a decision without spending an hour or so in both. Fortunately, there is a dealer in Round Rock, TX that sells both! :)
    I agree! and they have other lightweight trailers as well. We're planning to take a day trip down there sometime and spend some time taking a look at everything that fits in our requirements, but John feels that not being able to stand up straight is the greatest problem in our Outback bathroom, and that would not appear to be a problem in the 400 or Max.

Gail & John 

Yes, we’re planning to do the same. Until then I’m in my typical overthinking mode- studying every intricate detail of both, making spreadsheets, watching videos, reading reviews.  I love analysis! I am at that extremely knowledgeable point where, until I actually touch one, I can argue for either of them being the perfect camper for us. 

In the end, I love my T@B S Max and have never had an ounce of trouble with it. And their customer service is above reproach. That may end up being the scale tipper- known quality plus known customer service. Those are hard to argue against. 

Ok, back to the spreadsheets and videos. 
    As owners of a 400, we are glad that was our choice.  Love all the features and like anything, some things can and will be modified in time.  Everyone has different opinions and needs. For us, the 400 works Great.  Love the bath, have yet to use the drop down sink. The new Fridge is a big improvement over the 3 way that we had in our 320. Still have not used the stove to cook, as we use an induction cook top or the microwave for what we do cook. Love the counter space with out the storage cabinet the LG has at the counter.  Still haven' used all the available space for storage and in fact, have started taking unused items out.   Like having the table and the ease of converting it to a seating area is nice.  Probably use it more as seating area.  Love that our A/C is a cool cat heat pump and that it is mounted internally and not on the roof.  Really like the roof that it is metal and not fiberglass.  Love that NU Camp made the 400 as they have the experience and not that someone else made like the other brand.  Like the larger tanks of the 400,  the larger battery the lighter weight.  We all know that by the time we have all the nice to have items loaded we are heavy in weight.  Love the design of the overall body.  We do realize this is our thoughts and others have other ideas.
    edited January 2018
    Good review, @atlasb. Good to hear that the storage is adequate as that’s one of my chief concerns. Have you used the refer on battery only. I really like the bigger 3 way in the Max but it’s not a deal maker/breaker. Does the 400 have a microwave? I haven’t seen that on literature or video. Or, if you added it, where/how?

Tank size isn’t a big deal for me as we probably won’t boondock more than a night, but a refer on battery that wouldn’t last the night might be an issue. I’m not saying it won’t. I’m asking if it will. 
    And if I recall correctly you’re from OK, so if you say the cool cat can keep up with our summers, this Texan will believe you!:)
    Hi Mark and Judy.  Yes, the cool cat does the job well. Plus it also is a heat pump so it can provide heat to around 40 deg.  we are in OK. in the NE side.  We set the fan control to run on low and run the cool cat on cool.  It runs constantly that way and you do not notice the A/C cycling.  If you do not do that then the cool cat cycles on and off and is more noticeable. The cool cat also is ducted to provide heat and cool all through the 400. The fan on constantly circulates the air and keeps it nice inside.  We find the fridge is actually a good size for us.  for awhile I had popped the wire shelf out so we could stand wine bottles inside if we wanted.  I usually start it an hour or two before we leave and it cools down nice and we have no trouble keeping things cold. I keep the battery cut off and a smart charger on all the time when the 400 is in our shop.  I keep a plug in volt meter on so I can check thing. I usuallyset the fridge on 3 setting when using it.  The new 400 has a microwave but not sure if it is an option.  Check out missouri teardrops on facebook. Dana has one at a rv show in KC this weekend and they have a short video of the 400 with a microwave.  I am considering doing a mod in the top of our closet to install our microwave. currently we set it on a nylon cutting board on top of the stove.  I set it down when we travel. Do Love our 400 and don't regret the purchase in any way!  Other differences in the 400 and the max the heat in the 400 is the alde as well as the water heat.  In the Max they have a separate gas heater and a separate electric tank water heater.  We had both in our 320 before the Alde came out.  A lot of things to consider.  I don't think you can do too much research but in the end it is all personal choice.  Good Luck!
    Wow thanks @atlasb! This is all great info! My understanding is that the 400 will have the microwave as an option beginning April 2018. @marknjudy, please share as you continue with your analysis. There is so much to consider! We love our 320 and would love to get the 400, but only if it works best for us. The big deal breaker for us on the 400 is the odd shape of the eating area, reducing sleeping room there. The big deal breaker for us on the Max is the way the back sticks out. I'm guessing  that they did that to reduce tongue weight. I think we will have a better ideal of our preference when we see them both in person. 

Gail & John 

Please keep us updated as well. This is fun. 

I’m ok with the a synchronus dining area. I see us setting that are up as a big sofa with pillows and I like that small uncovered area as a table of sorts. 

I agree about the tail on the max, but no one is saying thry bottomed out. Had a dealer tell me it sits hight than a Tab 320 even without the raised axel option. 

I gotta get to Princess Craft soon!!
  • caa677276caa677276 Member Posts: 7
    We were able to compare the 400 and the Max because the dealers were right next to each other.  We went back and forth between the lots several times.  We ended up ordering the 400.  It is just the two of us and the dog so the space at the dining table was not an issue.  One of the biggest factors for me was the 400 had much more comfortable seating for those rainy days.  The cabinets in the 400 are more modern and seem to be better quality.  The Max had more storage but made the trailer longer and heavier.  The 400 also has a hose connection for the black tank flush which seems like a nice convenience. 

The biggest factor is that my wife says the 400 is just cuter so end of discussion.
  • ericnlizericnliz Member Posts: 4,437
    edited January 2018
    @caa677276 ,
    "The biggest factor is that my wife says the 400 is just cuter so end of discussion."
    That kinda says it all right there! Happy wife, happy life!
    ;) 
    2016 T@B MAX S-aka: WolfT@B
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.
    Eric aka: Lone Wolf  

caa677276 said:
    We were able to compare the 400 and the Max because the dealers were right next to each other.  We went back and forth between the lots several times.  We ended up ordering the 400.  It is just the two of us and the dog so the space at the dining table was not an issue.  One of the biggest factors for me was the 400 had much more comfortable seating for those rainy days.  The cabinets in the 400 are more modern and seem to be better quality.  The Max had more storage but made the trailer longer and heavier.  The 400 also has a hose connection for the black tank flush which seems like a nice convenience. 

The biggest factor is that my wife says the 400 is just cuter so end of discussion.
    You hit a couple of things people often miss when comparing the 2. The seating is well designed and comfortable in the 400, including the curved table to make it easier to slide into the seating. Also, the black tank rinse connection is awesome. I love to see it included.

Hahaha @caa677276! I have a feeling that it’s going to go that way with us no matter how much research I do. 
    marknjudy said:
    Please keep us updated as well. This is fun. 

I’m ok with the a synchronus dining area. I see us setting that are up as a big sofa with pillows and I like that small uncovered area as a table of sorts. 

I agree about the tail on the max, but no one is saying thry bottomed out. Had a dealer tell me it sits hight than a Tab 320 even without the raised axel option. 

I gotta get to Princess Craft soon!!
    I think you'll get there before us, so I'm looking forward to reading about your experience! And, BTW, I am the wife. LOL!

Gail & John