Options

Dripping shower in 2015 SMAX

Can anyone explain the small white plastic insert with what appears to be a drain hole in the bottom of the shower faucet. Seems to be the source of leaking after the shower has been used.  I have heard some mention a modification to get rid of the separate Hot/Cold handles gets rid of the problem but why is it there in the first place.

Comments

• Options
    DalehelmanDalehelman Member Posts: 2,410
    Vacuum brake. Prevents water from  siphoning back into fresh water system. A current code requirement.
    1. Hash  T@B Fun
  • Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    They have a tendency to break. I have more than one on hand. My popup ate them for breakfast lol.
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    It allows the hose to drain as well. Not a leak, just the hose draining.
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    markathmarkath Member Posts: 12
    Dale, you and others have modified shower controls with regular shower hardware with single control for temp and volume.  I understand conventional home hardware has syphon break built into residential hardware.  What was the brand.  Dale in an old post you mention you liked the placement of the outlet below, but can't find that thread for some reason. 
       As part of this shower modification project, on Dale's suggestion, got an 8 foot hose for shower handle, Love it.  I got a suction cup shower handle holder and mount it on the driver side of the tab when I want to have shower outside ( hose out the window).  Love it for rinsing dishes or dog.  Maybe even me if wife starts complaining louder. 
       Suction mounted hooks in assorted colors also available making any smooth surface an easy mounting place to hang things. Love them on the outside walls after camp is set up. No evidence of effect on T@B skin. 
  • Options
    DalehelmanDalehelman Member Posts: 2,410
    edited September 2017
    @marksth  That outlet was posted by @Popt@b if you contact him I am sure he can help you.
    1. Hash  T@B Fun
  • Options
    Pop-T@BPop-T@B Member Posts: 199

Markath,  here's the post I did on the single lever faucet change out.

finally finished the shower faucet upgrade. I chose the American Standard Stratton Shower faucet
    ( $74.00 from Menards) , It was the only one I could find at the local big box
    store that allows you to adjust the flow rate by moving the handle upward or
    downward and the temperature left to right. So once you have the water temp set
    you can
     shut off or adjust the flow
    without changing the temperature. The fitting I used to attach the handheld
    shower hose is a wall elbow from Delta part

#50560 ( $23.11 from Amazon). Thanks for the idea Dale, we are really
    going to like this upgrade.

sorry about the view on the last pic

• Options
    George101George101 Member Posts: 48
    Ratkity said:
    They have a tendency to break. I have more than one on hand. My popup ate them for breakfast lol.

Where do you get them and how do you replace them?
  • Options
    George101 said:
    Ratkity said:

I almost didn't see your question!! 

I have an RV parts place 5-6 miles away from my house and got them there. I'm sure you can get them on Amazon.

How to replace? Easy, they are only plastic and with plastic threads, you screw it on a smidge over finger-tight. There wasn't even any teflon tape. Shouldn't need it with plastic threads. Careful not to cross-thread the little suckers (pun).
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    George101George101 Member Posts: 48
    Ratkity said:
    George101 said:
    Ratkity said:

I almost didn't see your question!! 

I have an RV parts place 5-6 miles away from my house and got them there. I'm sure you can get them on Amazon.

How to replace? Easy, they are only plastic and with plastic threads, you screw it on a smidge over finger-tight. There wasn't even any teflon tape. Shouldn't need it with plastic threads. Careful not to cross-thread the little suckers (pun).
    So it will unscrew from the faucet side without taking the faucet apart?  
  • Options
    @George101 - don't have to take the faucet apart at all. The hose/sprayer might get in the way, so you might want to unscrew that first. Remember, unless you've replaced the hose/sprayer with something high end, it's also plastic. Just be careful so you don't mar the finish. It doesn't take a pipe wrench to unscrew the hose.