How to send a Private Message

I know this has been mentioned before, but we have many new forum members who may not have seen these instructions.

If you wish to have a private conversation with another member, tap on their name, a dialogue screen appears, then tap the small box with "message" written in it to the right of their name. A new dialogue box opens. Additionally, the left column reads "In this Conversation" and the sender and addressee's name are listed. If you just begin typing in the big dialogue box on the first page, anything written there goes to the forum activity page for any member to read. 
John, Judi, Guinness & OD in PDX
T@Bit@t 2015 S Max Outback, ‘18 V6 4Runner 

Comments

• FreshaireFreshaire Member Posts: 97
    Oh, thanks for this.  I wish I knew how to do this months ago when I was looking to purchase.  Good future reference.
    2015 T@b 320S Maxx Outback, aka "Alie Cat"
    TV:  2012 Honda Ridgeline

Alice
    Crozet, VA
  • Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,483
    Not having a Facebook account and being ignorant about social media in general, what is the purpose of that first page dialogue box anyway?
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • jgram2jgram2 Member Posts: 1,522
    Wish I knew too!

• HalooHaloo Member Posts: 137
    SAM said:
    Not having a Facebook account and being ignorant about social media in general, what is the purpose of that first page dialogue box anyway?
    Yep, that dialogue box tricked me.  You have to behave yourself everywhere these days.  :D
    T@B 400 | F150 | Washington State
  • ericnlizericnliz Member Posts: 4,437
    @Haloo, Or...suffer the consequences of the dreaded Magic Wand, Magic Eraser, the the new & improved Pixie Stix! ( Don't ask me HOW I know about the above consequences, I WOULD have to plead the 5th!)  =)
    2016 T@B MAX S-aka: WolfT@B
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.
    Eric aka: Lone Wolf  

ericnliz said:
    @Haloo, Or...suffer the consequences of the dreaded Magic Wand, Magic Eraser, the the new & improved Pixie Stix! ( Don't ask me HOW I know about the above consequences, I WOULD have to plead the 5th!)  =)
    After finishing a long and complicated project with a client, my wife and I took a vacation to Europe.  It would have been easy to sit back in my airline seat and complain about my client to my wife.  You know, just to kind of vent and cast off any bad feelings the remained regarding the project.  Glad I didn’t.  When we had gained cruising altitude and the fasten seatbelt light went off I got up to go to the restroom and found that my client was in the seat directly behind me.   :o
  • ericnlizericnliz Member Posts: 4,437
    And...the well-seasoned just keep getting smarter! ;)
    2016 T@B MAX S-aka: WolfT@B
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.
    Eric aka: Lone Wolf  

• ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,408
    I think that first page dialogue box has to do with what social media aficionados call a "wall" but I can't help much beyond that. I have no idea why I need a wall, much less why I would write on it...  :-)
    2015 T@B S

Yeah, I thought "wall" too.  Maybe it is like a shared computer drive?
  • VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    It’s actually called a “bulletin board”, one that all can read and nothing is private. Be careful what you say. While it would be nice to have the two boxes change places, this is not an option with the Vanilla software.  

If you have email notifications set up on your profile for your “wall”, this would be notifications that have been mistakenly typed in the large bulletin board box...or maybe it was intentional ;)
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
    I didn't think the “wall” was private. I just didn't know that the info posted there also found it’s way to a more public place. Seems odd. This forum design is keeping me on my toes. So odd is good. Ups my level of attention.  :)
     It becomes public when someone clicks your name and they end up at your board- able to read anything left there.
  • VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    Or you can click on “Activity” at the top of the page and see what everyone has to say on the bulletin board ;).
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    Verna said:
    Or you can click on “Activity” at the top of the page and see what everyone has to say on the bulletin board ;).
    Verna's right, when you click on the "activity" menu option above it brings up everyone's activity page that has recent information added to it by you or others and provides for some interesting reading.  You CAN delete any information on your bulletin board.  
    Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
  • jgram2jgram2 Member Posts: 1,522
    Reminder: if you don't get a reply to a message you sent to another forum member, they may not have seen it. Although most members don't bother checking their own or the forum Activity pages, I give a quick glance periodically or sometimes accidentally click on a member's name, ending up on their personal activity page. If your preferences aren't set up to notify you when someone writes on your "wall", you may miss a message. So, no reply may mean they never saw your message, not that they're unhelpful! Read the first post on this thread for "how to"  if you're interested.

• SweetlyHomeSweetlyHome Member Posts: 336
    @verna, @Sharon_is_SAM are the instructions given at the beginning of the thread still current?  The screen I come to after clicking the message box doesn't have the left column described.

Jupiter, Florida~T@B 400, with 2018 Toyota 4Runner

@SweetlyHome, the instructions are still current. However, the "In this Conversation" column only appears after you post the message, or when you view messages in your Inbox. I don't think that detail was clear in the OP.
    2015 T@B S

I would add that sometimes the views are dependent on the device you are using.  On an iPad or phone you can uncover different things if you turn your device 180 degrees.  And, the desktop view will give you more options.

https://tab-rv.vanillacommunity.com/discussion/9412/how-to-navigate-the-t-b-forum-essential-for-new-members#latest
    Yeah, it appears on the mobile app you can't send a message via another member's profile--you have to do it through the "New Message" in your own inbox (which is also an option on the desktop site).

It also looks like the "In this Conversation" column isn't even available in the mobile app (at least I can't find it).
    2015 T@B S