Options

Hello from Southwest Florida.

Hey everyone, my name is Christian, and a few weeks ago I made the decision to make the T@B CSS my primary residence. I travel a lot throughout Florida for work, and my main client offered to pay me to park my trailer on his farm in Miami so I could reduce my expenses to him. I call the Sarasota/Fort Myers area home, but I don't have much of a desire to own or rent a house anymore. On a business trip to the north side of Lake Ponchartrain, I found a great deal on a 17 model in Mississippi and towed it home with my cargo. This is my first time being an RVer, I have never owned one before but I love it so far. I do have a little advantage in that I can basically be outdoors year round down here, but the heat is pretty rough and I bought the full tent from Pahaque. I tow with a 2018 Honda Ridgeline AWD which has been a great ride so far, at 60mph I can get almost 16mpg on our flat roads. I still haven't figured out how to get the 120V outlets working or the hot water, I have been so busy I have barely looked at the manual! My plan is to be in Miami 7-10 days a month, plugged into my sister's for 7-10 days, and the rest I spend at a house with my girlfriend. So far, sleeping two in the rig hasn't been too bad, it is well insulated from noise but not her snoring! 

I came here to share my experiences as well as learn some about basic RVing so I can have the best experience possible. This seems to be a great group of people! 

Comments

• Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,513
    Welcome Cfkingfish!  Hopefully you have a surge protector for your 30 amp line.  Try resetting the GFCI on the outlet next to the fuse panel.  The A/C is on it's own 120 circuit - does that work? 

Assume you are hooked up to water via the city water connection.  Have you turned on the Alde panel yet:)  First step to getting hot water.  If you are only using AC to heat, put the electric bolt on 2 (faster warm up) and the shower on 2 (the "boost" - the glycol pump stops and the time to get hotter water is prolonged ).  Fill the Alde hot water tank by opening the hot water tap/taps - that draws water into the Alde water tank.  When you open your hot tap to fill the tank you may have a lot of spitting to clear the air.  Wait 15 minutes - should be warm by now, wait longer for hot.  Let us know how it works.  Are you heating the cabin?  
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    RoameyRoamey Member Posts: 239
    :rofl:, l hope your GF doesn't read this!  Otherwise she has a really good soul. 
       T@B trip wherever
    New surprises everyday
       See beautiful world
  • Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    Welcome!!
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    2Cougs2Cougs Member Posts: 912
    Welcome!  Sounds like you just need to start turning things on and seeing how they work.  We were at the same spot last year this time.  The learning curve gets better the more you use it.  Seemed to learn something each time we took it out. 

And you are right... this is a GREAT group of people! :)
    2016 T@B CS-S silver with white trim and WSU themed
    Pulled by a silver 2017 Chevy Silverado
    Leaves on T@bventures from Spokane, WA

• Options
    CfkingfishCfkingfish Member Posts: 8
    Thanks everyone, yes obviously I am a complete noob with RVs, and today I messed around with interior stuff because its basically the first day I could plug in and not travel/work. The 120V outlets just needed reset, and I don't have my water hose from Amazon yet (I use one that exists at my work in Miami). 

I set up Chromecast on the inside TV, can't get sound but I'll figure it out. I don't need to heat the cabin but for 2-3 days a year, so if the AC can blow hot air I'll just use that. The AC works well but if I had the option I would have gotten a stronger unit - it's basically essential here 7 months out of the year with the humidity. 

My other problem is storage - I have been using the "trunk" in the Ridgeline for storage, I am trying to find the best box to bolt/weld onto the trailer frame. I am sure I can browse the forums to find options, I hope I can make a meetup or two in the future!

My girlfriend knows she's a terrible snorer, we are very candid with one another. :) 
  • Options
    HomebodyatheartHomebodyatheart Member Posts: 2,498
    Welcome @Cfkingfish! Trial and error is a wonderful teacher! This forum, the categories on the side bar, the amazing people you get to "know" are invaluable resources! About the side tent and your heat, some have posted that they open their trailer window on the door side, turn on the AC, and some use a fan to move the cold air to the tent. They say it works well. Good luck on your new journey!
    2017 T@B 320 Max S silver and cherry red, L@dybug ("Bug" aka my esc@pe pod), TV 2015 Toyota Highlander aka Big Red
  • Options
    dragonsdoflydragonsdofly Member Posts: 1,926
    Welcome to the forum and congratulations on your t@b! We were complete newbies last year when our t@b adventures began. Nearly 20,000 miles and 30+ states later we no longer fit into that category, but it was fun getting to our level of ability and the ease of our current travels. I am confident you'll manage with flying colors and have fun while accomplishing your goals. Happy t@bbing!
    2017 t@b sofitel(Dr@gonsFly)TV 2015 Silverado 2500hd(Behemoth). Wyandotte, Michigan.
    Draco dormiens numquam titilandus.
  • Options
    ericnlizericnliz Member Posts: 4,437
    @Cfkingfish, Welcome aboard! Your experience with your new T@B will come with time. The very best teacher is using everything, and not be afraid of making mistakes. We all ( at some level of experience, or lack thereof) started out just as you are. The storage aspect comes with time & figuring out what works for you, and your needs. There are some great modifications that folks have done & shared here, but just remember that not all will fit the bill for your particular needs, or wants. Don't be afraid to ask questions, or use the search box when in doubt. You came to the right place for advise, help, and just plain ol' good camaraderie! Enjoy, have fun & happy camping! :)
    2016 T@B MAX S-aka: WolfT@B
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.
    Eric aka: Lone Wolf  

• Options
    SweetlyHomeSweetlyHome Member Posts: 336
    Welcome to the forum. We are Southeast Florida T@bers, Jupiter.  We will keep an eye out for you.  We are looking forward to our first camping weekend of the season in November.
    Jupiter, Florida~T@B 400, with 2018 Toyota 4Runner

• Options
    CfkingfishCfkingfish Member Posts: 8
    @SweetlyHome Thanks, I could most likely make it anywhere in the peninsula for a camping weekend then. Right now I am "test camping" by having it plugged in to my sister's house in Venice and have been living out of it for the past two days. I have set up Chromecast for the TV, making full use of the clamshell for storage, and been successfully stealth camping here in the driveway (even plugged in!) I have found that using stuff definitely is the best way to learn, my next challenge is finding the best storage solution for the trailer frame. 
  • Options
    dsatworkdsatwork Member Posts: 744
    @Cfkingfish Several of us have used this a lund box available through home depot. http://tab-rv.vanillaforums.com/discussion/1127/lund-box#latest
    2017 Tab Basic S Silver on Silver with Sofitel Cushions....upgraded from 2013 LG 5W....Towed by a 2016 Sorento V6 AWD w/5000lb tow capacity. Dave S. married to Jen aka SanDiegoGal We pull a Tab but live in a 2014 Airstream International Signature 27 FBQ...Talk about embracing a trailer lifestyle.
  • Options
    SweetlyHomeSweetlyHome Member Posts: 336
    @Cfkingfish, your mileage with the Ridgeline is notable.  Do you have cap on it?
    Jupiter, Florida~T@B 400, with 2018 Toyota 4Runner

• Options
    FreshaireFreshaire Member Posts: 97
    @SweetlyHome I drive a 2012 Honda Ridgeline and the best mileage I have gotten to date is 14.3 mpg.  I do not have a cap, I use high test gas, keep to 65 or slower when possible.  @Cfkingfish has the 2018 Ridgeline, perhaps that is the difference between our mileages.
    2015 T@b 320S Maxx Outback, aka "Alie Cat"
    TV:  2012 Honda Ridgeline

Alice
    Crozet, VA
  • Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    Ryobi makes an 18V DC/110V AC operated fan that costs about $40 and is powerful and very convenient.  You will need a couple of batteries and the charger but it would allow you to have a fan for either camping in an RV park or when power isn't available.  Very handy!  

And as others have noted they do make a diamond plate rectangular tool box (for added storage) that you could mount on the front and eliminate the front tub if you are handy with these types of modifications.  

If your girlfriend snores she is probably a candidate for a sleep study as she probably has sleep apnea. Have her get that checked out as you could easily eliminate the snoring and get a full nights rest! 

Happy Trails! 

Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ