Towing mirrors

I have noticed from the many pictures posted that most owners with small tow vehicles, like Subi's or Escapes, don't have aux mirrors mounted when towing. We just got a GMC Acadia as a second tv in case the truck has any problems. My question is can you actually see anything behind the trailer? Plan on a trip next week and will go buy strap on mirrors if I need to.
2020 Tiffin Open Road
2020 Nissan Versa Toad 
Alan & Patty
Southern Az

Comments

• leenscottflleenscottfl Member Posts: 254
    I tow with a Jeep Wrangler. I have mirrors that strap onto the Jeep mirrors. Love them. With them I can see behind my T@B much better and will not drive without them.
    Scott, Orange Park, Florida...2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara... 2015 T@B S Maxx "Buttercup".
  • DalehelmanDalehelman Member Posts: 2,409
    Our 2015 Jeep GC does not need any mirror extensions.
    1. Hash  T@B Fun
  • 4ncar4ncar Member Posts: 1,072
    IMHO who needs to see behind the trailer? It's what's on the sides that matter...
    TV- '16 Chevy Colorado LT Crew Cab-DuraMax
    2018 320S Outback
  • ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,396
    My T/V has largish mirrors and is the same width as the T@B. Regardless, I still can't see directly behind it. I've learned to use bends in the road and, if necessary, a little wag of my tail to see what's back there.

In general, I do agree with 4ncar that what's happening on the side is more important than what is happening directly behind.
    2015 T@B S
  • ericnlizericnliz Member Posts: 4,437
    Ha, UNLESS you happen to have one of those "Christmas light" vehicles behind 'ya! ;) (AND.. BEFORE 'ya ask...no, I haven't experienced THAT one.....yet) :o
    2016 T@B MAX S-aka: WolfT@B
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.
    Eric aka: Lone Wolf  

• jgram2jgram2 Member Posts: 1,522
    Although we've traveled many miles towing the T@B, I am still exquisitely aware of the dangers inherent in changing lanes in fast moving city freeway traffic. So the view behind the T@B with our extended mirrors is an added safety feature for me. Perhaps it's my map challenged self, or it could be my recent discovery that Zeus and his gang sometimes masquerade as Siri, just for his amusement as he watches my consternation when Siri gives seemingly contradictory instructions! Mirrors-it's all about personal comfort levels.
    John, Judi, Guinness & OD in PDX
    T@Bit@t 2015 S Max Outback, ‘18 V6 4Runner 

• gbhaneygbhaney Member Posts: 19
    We got our T@B 320 S in June and have gone on 3 camping trips, each about 400-500 mi. roundtrip, virtually all hilly interstate travel. TV is a 2016 Chrysler Town and Country minivan with no extended mirrors available except for strap-on type. I have not driven with the trailer attached, but my husband says the only place he can't see is directly behind and very close to the trailer. The TV's blind-spot assist system works with the trailer attached, so that is the most important thing. We got a pair of mirrors from Camping World, Cipa Deluxe Door Mount Towing Mirrors, but they seem to take a fair amount of mid-trip adjustment that can't be done unless stopped. 
    2021 T@B 400 BD.  Silver with black. TV: 2020 Ford Explorer XLT 4WD

• rkj__rkj__ Member Posts: 641
    I drive a GMC Canyon.  If I am a little off centre in my lane, and lean my head to the side, I can tell if there is a vehicle following me.  

I am not interested in clamp on towing mirrors.  
    2016 T@b 320 CS-S - 2018 GMC Sierra - St. Catharines, Ontario, Canada
    After spending more than 35 years driving tractor trailers. Knowing what is directly behind you is not very important since you cannot do anything about it. Knowing what is along side and behind is very important.  Your mirrors need to extend wider than your trailer. So that you can see several car lengths back on either side. People following need to know if they cannot see your mirrors you cannot see them.
    1. Hash  T@B Fun
  • MarcelineMarceline Member Posts: 1,497
    I think that the biggest reason to be able to see what's directly behind the trailer is to know when it's time to use a pull-out lane. But in those situations the road usually has plenty of twists and turns that give me the opportunity to see if there's anyone back there. 
    San Francisco Bay Area
    2013 CS-S us@gi
    Battered but trusty 3.5l V6 Hyundai Santa Fe
    2015 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner Double Cab
    Marceline said:
    I think that the biggest reason to be able to see what's directly behind the trailer is to know when it's time to use a pull-out lane. But in those situations the road usually has plenty of twists and turns that give me the opportunity to see if there's anyone back there. 
    Correct 
    1. Hash  T@B Fun
  • GeoGeo Member Posts: 160
    @RollingBnB I tried extender mirrors when we had a 31' fifth wheel trailer. It was 8' wide so needed the width of extended mirrors to even see along the side of the trailer. The T@B is only 6' wide, about the same as most vehicles, so easy to see along the side of the trailer.  Also I found the strap on mirrors vibrated excessively so that it was difficult to see much of anything.                                                         

Geo & Liz
    T@BMahal
    '04  #100
  • AMacAMac Member Posts: 75
    I've been wondering about what we need for 400, which is 7' wide, I believe. Towing with Xterra. Strap on mirrors seem to get some pretty bad reviews on Amazon, but it sounds like they work fine for some of you.  Also heard of leaving window shades front and rear in tab lowered and looking through TV rear view mirror. Any 400 owners care to weigh in on what works for you? Thanks!
  • ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    edited October 2017
    Yes, mirror extensions are great... I've driven ours without, and feel a bit more comfortable with the ability to see behind the Tab with them.
    We adjust the extended mirrors to be primarily focused behind the Tab, and then keep the normal TV side mirrors focused more on the blind spot.
    Highly recommend these Dometic ones. They're simple to attach, little vibration, and nice quality. (Note there are two companies that 'brand' these mirrors, and the Dometic brand is much less expensive for the same mirrors). Shop around, the price can vary. 
    We previously had some strap-on ones that were a bit of a bother to attach, but these are great.
    https://www.amazon.com/Dometic-DM-2899-Milenco-Towing-Mirror/dp/B01C7P7EOU

Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
    edited October 2017
    Ratkity said:
    Don't you love autocorrect? :lol:

Ratkity said:

ChanW said:
    Yes, mirror extensions are great... I've driven ours without, and feel a bit more comfortable with the ability to see behind the Tab with them.
    We adjust the extended mirrors to be primarily focused behind the Tab, and then keep the normal TV side mirrors focused more on the blind spot.
    Highly recommend these Dometic ones. They're simple to attach, little vibration, and nice quality. (Note there are two companies that 'brand' these mirrors, and the Dometic brand is much less expensive for the same mirrors). Shop around, the price can vary. 
    We previously had some strap-on ones that were a bit of a bother to attach, but these are great.
    https://www.amazon.com/Dometic-DM-2899-Milenco-Towing-Mirror/dp/B01C7P7EOU

These mirrors look like a very good solution.
    1. Hash  T@B Fun
  • RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
    Ratkity said:
    Thinks four da heds op.
    1. Hash  T@B Fun