Options

Newbie with Spare tire & battery lock questions

TaBulatedTaBulated Member Posts: 24

I’m a newbie and have some questions about the spare tire and the battery box.  My spare tire is the type that is mounted under the T@B. If you have this kind do you lock your spare tire? While on the subject of locks do you lock your battery box? In either case, what kind of lock do you use and how is the lock attached?

Back to the spare tire does the spare tire tend to get bumped or scratched much?

Do you suggest a cover for the spare tire?  If so, why is it helpful.

2017 T@B Max U
TV: 2015 Toyota Sienna XLE
David & Barb - Edmond, OK

Comments

• Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    My spare tire scraped one time when I went into a gas station when it was underneath. That was it. I went underneath the T@B on my driveway and couldn't believe how difficult it was to remove and move the thing out - imagine 18-wheelers whizzing by, rocks, glass, debris and something smelly nearby. That was the last time it was underneath! I paid the extra money for the Yakima rack. I'd probably go with the front tire option like many others have, now that my newer TV has larger towing capacity.

I would suggest a cover if you put it up front or on a rack. They only cost $15. Covers are helpful to keep uv rays from breaking down the tire (although material now days don't break down like the old days).

The Yakima rack had a place to put a lock, but to be honest, someone really would have to want to get a step stool and cut the lock and undo the holder and pull down a 40# tire. Someone with the front tongue option can tell you if their option locks.
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    edited February 2017
    Looked at that spare underneith and went "no way" First mod I made was bought a tire mount they use on boat trailers. Search "spare", there two ways people mounted it on the tongue. Ratkity went the expensive route :-)
    Battery inside the tube - Never lock it.
  • Options
    TaBulatedTaBulated Member Posts: 24
    Thank you Ratkity and PXLated.  I did go to the search and found a lot.  
    2017 T@B Max U
    TV: 2015 Toyota Sienna XLE
    David & Barb - Edmond, OK
  • Options
    bikegirlbikegirl Member Posts: 24
    Thanks for posting these questions @TaBulated.

@Nomad Is there a reason to never lock the battery box? I bought a new battery and was thinking of locking the plastic box that both the battery and propane tank are in. OR put a lock around the actual battery box that protects the battery. Now thinking about that, I wonder if whatever I use would drain the battery. 

Can you please let me know your thoughts? Thanks!
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,513
    There are laws that dictate not locking the propane tub in case of fire and the need to quickly dismantle the propane.  NuCamp no longer makes locking tubs for that reason.

You can fashion some kind of locking device for the battery as those do tend to walk depending on where you camp/store the Tab.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    DurangoTaBDurangoTaB Member Posts: 754
    You don’t have to worry about the spare underneath...if someone were to try to steal it, they would get their arm pinned to the ground and be trapped until the police came :-).  The first time I took it down I immediately bought a tongue mount! 

J.D. & Sue

Durango, CO    2014/15 S M@xx :  "Dory's HabiT@B"  Keep on swimming...

• Options
    ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    edited November 2017
    Ha! I appreciate @DurangoTaB's point, but it's clear to me he simply hasn't developed the technique.

Once you work out that you need to support the tire with both hands, while unscrewing the retaining nuts with your teeth, it's a piece of cake.

Then, when the tire is loose, you will need a second person to pull on both of your legs while you're holding the tire above your face, smoothly sliding you out from under the Tab.

Reverse the procedure to remount the spare.

Easy peesey!
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    ericnlizericnliz Member Posts: 4,437
    @ChanW, Were you watching me when I got my spare out to move it to the tongue? :o (It was a REALLY good thing my friend came by while walking his dog. I might STILL be under there!)
    2016 T@B MAX S-aka: WolfT@B
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.
    Eric aka: Lone Wolf  

• Options
    EstancioEstancio Member Posts: 243
    Never considered locking my battery....I just have to rely upon trust in others.
    Stancil Campbell
    2011 T@B
    Rockingham, NC

• Options
    BillBill Member Posts: 38
    Okay, I'm convinced. Any recommendations for tongue mounts? I was looking at the Extreme Max 3005 on Amazon, only because that was the first one I saw. Anybody want to volunteer to crawl under and remove the spare for me?
    Bill & Helen; 2017 T@B S Maxx, (Serenity Now!!); TV 2019 Honda Ridgeline,
    Woodstock, Ontario 
  • Options
    ericnlizericnliz Member Posts: 4,437
    2016 T@B MAX S-aka: WolfT@B
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.
    Eric aka: Lone Wolf