Tailgate down towing on a T@B 320 - with a dirt bike in the bed

If this is in a post already I apologize - I tried searching with no luck.
I have a shortbed Tacoma pickup and would like to carry a motorcycle in the bed of the truck while pulling my T@B.  I have an Outback model - but I don't think that matters.
I normally have the tailgate down when hauling my bike.
The tongue jack is removable. 
Has anyone tried this or have an idea if there is enough clearance for this to work?
My rough measurements make me believe this is possible, but I'm reluctant to try because my co-pilot is my dog. She won't tell me if I'm doing something stupid.
Thanks for any advice or experiences.
Josh Orth.
Certified RV Technician
jomrvt.com
2021 T@B 320 CS-S

Comments

• rkj__rkj__ Member Posts: 641
    With the tongue jack removed, and no spare tire on the tongue, I suspect the Outback would be quite towable with the Tacoma's tailgate down.  The Tacoma has a fairly shallow bed, so the tailgate does not extend that far past the bumper.

I think it is worth removing the tongue jack, and doing a trial before packing and heading out for a trip.  You will want to be able to test the limits in a large parking lot, with no stress.
    2016 T@b 320 CS-S - 2018 GMC Sierra - St. Catharines, Ontario, Canada
  • jgram2jgram2 Member Posts: 1,522
    edited November 2017
    You've likely considered tongue weight, right?
    John, Judi, Guinness & OD in PDX
    T@Bit@t 2015 S Max Outback, ‘18 V6 4Runner 

• blackoaktreeblackoaktree Member Posts: 23
    A parking lot test is a genius idea! Thanks!!!
    yes the tongue weight is also a consideration. I think with proper loading of the trailer and carrying bicycles on the rear rack might take care of sway issues. 
    Josh Orth.
    Certified RV Technician
    jomrvt.com
    2021 T@B 320 CS-S
  • Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,460
    What about the radius for turning and backing up?
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
    The turning radius seems like it could work based on a tape measuring and eyeballing.
    Josh Orth.
    Certified RV Technician
    jomrvt.com
    2021 T@B 320 CS-S
    Twojgrams said:
    You've likely considered this-increased cargo weight in the bed would lower the tongue weight, right? Thereby increasing the potential for sway if not compensated by increased cargo weight behind the Tab's axle? 
    Umm, I don't agree with this at all.

The force the trailer applies downward on the hitch is not affected by how the tow vehicle is loaded with cargo.

Increased cargo weight behind the T@b's axle incrases the likelyhood of sway issues.  
    I admit I was thinking of our '79 GS 1000 which weighed ~650#, but now I have to go back studying towing dynamics. I'll edit my comment.

@twojgrams    I think the whole tow weight capacity/ tongue weight issue is always a bit confusing.  I also tend to think that what is in the rear of the TV impacts tongue weight, but that is incorrect.  I did some digging and learned a better way to think about it.  

Too much weight on the tongue and hitch can bend the tongue and damage the hitch.  It can also effect how the TV handles by pushing down the back end of the TV, taking weight off the front and making steering difficult and potentially less braking power from the front brakes.  This is probably a bigger factor with front TV axle wheel drive TVs. Too light of tongue weight (seems to be a more common occurance) is what causes trailer sway and that is why we always talk about how we load our trailers and have a handy formula for tongue weight based on trailer weight (10-15% of trailer weight).

If you are using a weight distribution system, the weight behind the TV rear axle does count against the tongue weight limits of the hitch.

The TV GAWC and overall weight capacity, I think would be the limiting factor in this scenario.

Sharon

• newellnewell Member Posts: 182
    You are talking about a bicycle right, not a motorcycle?  I think the bigger issue is whether the tailgate will hit the T@B in a tight turn.  

Earl & Sue | Central NY |
    2017 T@B 320S | TV: Chevy Silverado
  • ColoradoJonColoradoJon Member Posts: 415
    edited November 2017
    I carry my dirt bikes in the back of my 2001 Dodge Ram while towing our Outback.  I use a ratchet strap hooked through the tailgate cable to ratchet the tailgate up against the rear wheel of the dirt bikes as I don't want to mess with a removable tongue jack.

I've carried three dirt bikes, ramp, four gas cans, and riding gear in the bed of the truck while towing the Outback and I've never had any problems with turn radius issues, and no interference.  The load in the truck has no effect on the trailer tongue weight and I don't worry about it.
    Jon & Angela | Florissant Colorado | 2017 Outback S
    @newell Blackoaktree carries his motorcycles in his truck bed.
    @SAM, thanks. I'm taking remedial gravity lessons from @rkj__ offline to get a grip, and to stop hijacking this thread from the question posed by @blackoaktree to whom I must apologize!

• jason330ijason330i Member Posts: 72
    I believe you have to watch your rear gross axle weight rating (gawr) when you carry heavy stuff in the bed of your truck. And tongue weight does add on to your rear gawr.

2017 T@b 320 S

2017 Kia Sorento SXL AWD

Thanks for all the great advice and thoughts.
    I am carrying a motorcycle not a bicycle.
    Most of the time it’s a 250 lb dirt bike that doesn’t impact suspenion or loading unless I drive intentionally fast on bumpy roads that are more appropriate for the fore mentioned dirt bike. I don’t think I’d bring the trailer there... but I have a hunting trip next week that may inspire me to test off road capabilities of the Outback.
    Josh Orth.
    Certified RV Technician
    jomrvt.com
    2021 T@B 320 CS-S
  • HomebodyatheartHomebodyatheart Member Posts: 2,491
    @blackoaktree you mentioned loading bikes (bicycles I'd guess) on the back of the T@b on your Yakima rack, correct? Somewhere on the forum was a discussion about weight limitations of the Yakima rack. If I remember correctly both 70# and 100# total weight load on the rack were mentioned. I don't know which is correct. If your spare is already on the rack you might be overweight on the rack by adding bikes. You could call NuCamp to be sure of the carry weight, though. Good luck!
    2017 T@B 320 Max S silver and cherry red, L@dybug ("Bug" aka my esc@pe pod), TV 2015 Toyota Highlander aka Big Red
    Bike as in motorbike.
    edited November 2017

SAM said:
    Bike as in motorbike.
    Motorbike in the bed of the truck, and bicycle on the Outback's Yakima rack have both been mentioned in this thread. 
    edited November 2017
     I have a hunting trip next week that may inspire me to test off road capabilities of the Outback.
    If you do, take some pictures or videos to share. 

I have thoughts in the back of my mind of taking our regular CS-S down some rough back roads, to access  some free camping on crown land.  I'm hoping to maybe go on a few scouting missions next year, to judge feasibility. 

That said, I can't seem to find any pictures or videos of people actually dragging a T@b Outback / Boondock over anything rougher than a smooth dirt road.  Where is the good You-Tube content at?

An old friend of mine did some gnarly stuff with his off road trailer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PDYhGZdeWB8

Oh, yeah, now I see the comment.
  • ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    edited November 2017
    @rkj__, is that Georgian Bay in the video? Nuts!
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
    ChanW said:
    @rkj__, is that Georgian Bay in the video? Nuts!
    I was not on the trip that footage is from, but I believe it is all from Ardbeg Ontario, near Black Lake and Round Lake.
    rkj__ said:
     I have a hunting trip next week that may inspire me to test off road capabilities of the Outback.
    If you do, take some pictures or videos to share. 

I have thoughts in the back of my mind of taking our regular CS-S down some rough back roads, to access  some free camping on crown land.  I'm hoping to maybe go on a few scouting missions next year, to judge feasibility. 

That said, I can't seem to find any pictures or videos of people actually dragging a T@b Outback / Boondock over anything rougher than a smooth dirt road.  Where is the good You-Tube content at?

An old friend of mine did some gnarly stuff with his off road trailer.
    I think I'll wait until the new smell wears off the Tab before I try anything like that. I take my Taco down trails like that, but doing that with a third axle takes skill I don't have. However after a six pack and if I'm too close to the welder, maybe I'll try my skills at put 33's on the Tab. 

Nucamp doesn't read these posts do they... just in case I have a "warranty" issue. :)
    Josh Orth.
    Certified RV Technician
    jomrvt.com
    2021 T@B 320 CS-S
  • ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    Ah... The rocks looked familiar to me.

We spent a lot of time up in that area, near Killbear Park.

Beautiful country.
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • 4ncar4ncar Member Posts: 1,072
    Have you considered just removing the tail gate from the truck? I know this is possible on most PU's.
    TV- '16 Chevy Colorado LT Crew Cab-DuraMax
    2018 320S Outback
  • Tabaz Tabaz Member Posts: 2,350
    I've taken my Outback down some fairly rough roads these past two years.  The two mods that really helped with improving ground clearance are the single discharge waste and removable tongue jack by Pop-tab.  Also Google Earth prior to the trip to make sure I have an escape route in case things got too tight.
    2016 Outback 320 with a 2010 Ford Expedition.
  • ColoradoJonColoradoJon Member Posts: 415
    @blackoaktree - is it just one dirt bike you are carrying?  I assume you have a mid-size pickup and not a full size?  On my full size pickup I can load one dirt bike on the driver's side of the bed, tie down the handlebars, then kick the rear wheel over to the right (passenger side) so the tail gate will close.  This only works if you are carrying only one bike, and if the bed of your truck is long enough.

Jon & Angela | Florissant Colorado | 2017 Outback S
    I tried and it’ll work!

Josh Orth.
    Certified RV Technician
    jomrvt.com
    2021 T@B 320 CS-S
  • BertBert Member Posts: 87
    What type of jack did you buy to replace the standard jack?
    Www.jack-E-up.com
    simple device that allows you to take off the jack.
    Josh Orth.
    Certified RV Technician
    jomrvt.com
    2021 T@B 320 CS-S
  • Bill_FBill_F Member Posts: 40
    edited January 2021
    Telescoping trailer tongue option that includes  motorcycle rack that is released with the removal of one additional pin. Retracts to standard length to maintain DMV PTI no registration fee designation.

@Bill_F - please resize your photo.  Moderator