Instead of 2 golf cart batteries...

Instead of 2 6 volt golf cart batteries wired in series, would this be a good option?

https://www.batterystuff.com/batteries/rv-marine/agm/111-and-up-amp-hour/gpl-8dl.html
Mickey & Terri
2016 Max S
Kalamazoo Michigan

Comments

• Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    That's a lot of weight.  It looks similar to the batteries used in the T@B 400.  I don't know the specs right off the top of my head?
    Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
  • jgram2jgram2 Member Posts: 1,522
    156# per the specs! I was looking at batteries and was startled by 68#s! Little did I know.
    John, Judi, Guinness & OD in PDX
    T@Bit@t 2015 S Max Outback, ‘18 V6 4Runner 

• mandtmandt Member Posts: 158
    About the same weight as 2 golf cart batteries. How I will lift it I have no idea.
    Mickey & Terri
    2016 Max S
    Kalamazoo Michigan
  • ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,391
    Don't see why it wouldn't work, but I could replace my 100+aH group 27 flooded cell battery seven times over for that much coin (or maybe carry a couple spares)!
    2015 T@B S
  • ColoradoJonColoradoJon Member Posts: 415
    It would certainly work if you have the space and the strength to lift it!  As @ScottG said - it's also expensive!  I suppose once it is installed you wouldn't have to mess with it until it needs replaced...

My two flooded cell 6V batteries cost $220 and weight 68 lbs. each.  Still hefty but a lot easier to get in and out one at a time :)
    Jon & Angela | Florissant Colorado | 2017 Outback S
  • Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,460
    We wanted as many amps as possible with an AGM and settled for 150 amps = 96#.  Factory made it fit, but they had to pull the tub away from the front of the Tab.  Mandt - inside install?
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
    Still trying to figure out installation. We have a storage compartment in front of the bin and are considering using that. Or one battery in the bin and one in the storage compartment.
    Mickey & Terri
    2016 Max S
    Kalamazoo Michigan
  • VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    @mandt, two of these 12V batteries wired in parallel would add 300 lbs to your tongue weight, minus the weight of the existing battery, if I understood your last comment correctly.
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
    Only 1 battery is needed to  achieve 12 volts.
    Mickey & Terri
    2016 Max S
    Kalamazoo Michigan
  • dsatworkdsatwork Member Posts: 744
    @mandt I put two of these in and though they are more expensive than golf cart batteries they are much less expensive and easier to move around than that beast. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00S1RT58C/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    2017 Tab Basic S Silver on Silver with Sofitel Cushions....upgraded from 2013 LG 5W....Towed by a 2016 Sorento V6 AWD w/5000lb tow capacity. Dave S. married to Jen aka SanDiegoGal We pull a Tab but live in a 2014 Airstream International Signature 27 FBQ...Talk about embracing a trailer lifestyle.
    mandt said:
    Only 1 battery is needed to  achieve 12 volts.
    mandt said:
    Still trying to figure out installation. We have a storage compartment in front of the bin and are considering using that. Or one battery in the bin and one in the storage compartment.
    Correct, but your last comment “Or one battery in the bin and one in the storage compartment.” is what confused me. 

Two 12 volt batteries wired in parallel gives you 12 volts. My two 6-volt golf cart batteries are wired in series giving me 12 volts.
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    Sorry Verna, since I knew what I meant I figured the rest of the world did too - ha. I am choosing between 2 6 volts or 1 12 volt.
    dsatwork, I like your approach.
    Mickey & Terri
    2016 Max S
    Kalamazoo Michigan
    Thanks, @mandt. I sure didn’t want you to break your tongue!  

I really like the idea of this battery, but the price is a deal breaker for me. Maybe in 4 or 5 years, the price will go down even more, as it has over the last couple years. Honestly, this is still double what I have invested in my dual 6 volt batteries, and a bit more weight also.
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • RollingztoneRollingztone Member Posts: 31
    I finally got fed-up with wet cell batteries and installed 2 Battleborn LiFePO4 batteries in my 2012 T@B in the space by the pump under the closet inside. They are 12V wired in parallel with 100 Ahr ea. for a total of 200 Ahr. They can drain all the way down to a couple of Ahr and still produce over 12V. They weigh 33 lb each, give off no gasses, require no maintenance whatsoever and can cycle 3000 to 5000 times (charge once every day for 10 years). They are expensive but the overall cost is pennies compared to wet cells. I have a Zamp 160 watt portable charger with a LiFePO4 setting and installed a Zamp 300 watt pure sine inverter to run my laptop. We can stay out for 6 to 10 days without charging, depending on how conservative we are with power. These batteries have a chip that protects them from over-charging, too cold, too hot conditions, etc., and you can install them upside down, sideways or any way you want. They are incredible!
    2018 T@B Boondock Edition. 2008 GMC Sierra SLT Z71 4X4 5.3L V8. (2) BB 100Ah LiFePo4. Charlotte, NC

• dsatworkdsatwork Member Posts: 744
    @Rollingztone did find a deal......or did you pay close to a grand a piece for them? Love the idea but not sure I'm ready to make that leap yet. 
    2017 Tab Basic S Silver on Silver with Sofitel Cushions....upgraded from 2013 LG 5W....Towed by a 2016 Sorento V6 AWD w/5000lb tow capacity. Dave S. married to Jen aka SanDiegoGal We pull a Tab but live in a 2014 Airstream International Signature 27 FBQ...Talk about embracing a trailer lifestyle.
  • RollingztoneRollingztone Member Posts: 31
    No deals...$899 ea. We were out for 3 months two years ago with lots of dry camping and the lead wet cell was a constant issue. We're going out this coming summer again for 3 months, and I expect batteries to be a non-issue this time.
    2018 T@B Boondock Edition. 2008 GMC Sierra SLT Z71 4X4 5.3L V8. (2) BB 100Ah LiFePo4. Charlotte, NC