2015 Toyota Tacoma V6 tow package 6500#.

I will be purchasing a T@B outback. Anyone towing a T@B with a "Taco"? Obviously more than enough TV for going anywhere, mountain etc. 

Comments

• DurangoTaBDurangoTaB Member Posts: 754
    I have a 2012 Taco, TRD, Off-Road and towing package, access cab...which I dearly love, and it’s OK for towing the T@B through the flats, but in our CO mountains she slows down a LOT going up the passes; mileage goes from about 20 to 14mpg.  Overall I’d say it does the job. 

J.D. & Sue

Durango, CO    2014/15 S M@xx :  "Dory's HabiT@B"  Keep on swimming...

• nawlins1b1nawlins1b1 Member Posts: 7
    I looked at everything, campsite 11fk, Casita, Oliver, Lance 1475, Hummingbird 16fd, Armadillo, and about 6 others. I too LOVE my Taco crew, it is not going anywhere! I'll tow my 2017 Outback and live with any minor issues.
  • VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    2015 Tacoma 4x4, TRD, V6, crew cab and all is marvelous. I feel safe towing with her. I did have Firestone air bags installed on the rear end because of the softness of the rear end. It tows so much better and more level with the airbags. 

I tow 12,000+ per year, drive about 3,000 without towing. I haven’t been to the mountains yet in 3 Yrs of towing the T@B, but she will go there soon. The mileage will go down to 9 or 10 mpg driving into a 25 mph headwind, but has gotten 26 mpg with a 25 mph tailwind (no, that is not a misprint!). 13 to 14 mpg is normall for towing 60 to 65 mph. 55 or lower is the best gas mileage for towing, but the semi trucks frown on that on the interstates, so I save the lower speeds for 2 and 4 lane state or federal highways. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
    Thanks for the comments! I will do Timbrens or Airbags. I am just a State parker and golfer, not yet retired. I want a cozy shed(Outback) after I have been out hiking, burning firewood, or golfing all day. 
  • blackoaktreeblackoaktree Member Posts: 23
    2010 Taco with a lift and 33” tires. Not the fastest thing on the road through the Colorado mountains but it gets the job done. Fuel mileage is around 11-14 mpg. Mountain passes I’m keeping pace with the fast semi’s. I could go faster but it doesn’t seem worth the wear.
    But when weather turns bad or you go off pavement it’s nearly a perfect setup.
    Josh Orth.
    Certified RV Technician
    jomrvt.com
    2021 T@B 320 CS-S
  • ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    We love our 4cyl Taco. Tows the Tab fine,  although it can be slow on some passes (maybe down to 40-45 here & there) in the Rockies and Appalachians.

Haven't minded needing to slow, and traffic behind us hasn't been any problem. 

We get 13-17mpg towing, depending on headwind, and probably get 21mpg without towing.
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    Verna said:
    2015 Tacoma 4x4, TRD, V6, crew cab and all is marvelous. I feel safe towing with her. I did have Firestone air bags installed on the rear end because of the softness of the rear end. It tows so much better and more level with the airbags. 

......... The mileage will go down ....... driving into a 25 mph headwind, but has gotten 26 mpg with a 25 mph tailwind (no, that is not a misprint!). ........
    So my morning decaffeinated math says you get 1 mph without the tailwind on the flats? ROFL - I ignored the relevant information. :rofl:
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
    I actually have the TSS-Toyota Sport Series with the factory lift and oversized tires. I am adding a topper for gear and storage. My outback will be white with red or black trim.I may not need any suspension enhancements depending on the finale tongue weight-loaded.
  • VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    The head service writer at my dealer said the rear end suspension is made soft for a car-like ride. I am well under half of the allowed tongue weight and the rear end goes down when hitched.  I have to add 25 to 30 lbs of air in the air bags to bring the Tacoma level when towing the T@B. Without the airbags, I was blinding everyone with my headlights if I had to drive after dark. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • DurangoTaBDurangoTaB Member Posts: 754
    The Off Road Bilstein shocks help a lot with loading...

J.D. & Sue

Durango, CO    2014/15 S M@xx :  "Dory's HabiT@B"  Keep on swimming...

• gnudad2gnudad2 Member Posts: 32
    I just bought a Double cab 2015 Taco TRD sport v6 4x4 w/ tow package under 30,000mi.  
    Having read about Verna using the Firestone airbags, I started looking and found these:  https://www.etrailer.com/Vehicle-Suspension/Toyota/Tacoma/2015/SSR-610-40.html
    Anybody have experience w/ them?
    Tom & Susan & Della
    2017 320S / 2015 Tacoma TRDSport
  • easttntabeasttntab Member Posts: 48
    I have a 2017 off road 4x4 tow package double cab. 6 speed auto transmission. Does a much better job tow using the EXT power button. Basically a tow button. Changes the shift points. Otherwise, it does a lot of shifting, hunting for the right gear. Yes, I love the Taco!
  • Rolltide82Rolltide82 Member Posts: 89
    gnudad2 said:
    I just bought a Double cab 2015 Taco TRD sport v6 4x4 w/ tow package under 30,000mi.  
    Having read about Verna using the Firestone airbags, I started looking and found these:  https://www.etrailer.com/Vehicle-Suspension/Toyota/Tacoma/2015/SSR-610-40.html
    Anybody have experience w/ them?
    Those work pretty good so I hear.  I have an older Tacoma with aftermarket leaf springs so I don't have a problem with sagging.  However if you haven't already.....join tacomaworld.com.  Best Tacoma info ever.   It's a great forum and it has a dedicated towing section for all generations of Tacoma.  You can usually even find people near you if you ever need help with installs etc.....
  • ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    I heard they had a recall for the rear leaf springs on some earlier Tacos. My friend had his replaced on his 2010 under the recall.

@Rolltide82, did your springs fail? What year is your Taco?
    Rolltide82 said:
    ......  I have an older Tacoma with aftermarket leaf springs so I don't have a problem with sagging.  However .....
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
    Nope.....I just lifted my front 3 inches and wanted 1 1/2 inches for the rear.  Just to level it....however I have a huge aftermarket bumper with winch and lots of armor such as steel sliders and such.  So after all that with the tab hooked up I am completely level.  But ya know now matter what kinda leaf pack you have..  eventually it will sag.  If you can find a spring shop.....far and few in-between they can reshape them and give ya more lift.   
    Mine is an 04 also ....she's old.  
    I like Tacomaworld, but I have found you have to be careful. Most of the information is great and some of it is dangerous! I have 20+ years of towing experience. It was all with a Chevy 1500 V8 and tandem axle stick and tin campers. I camp alone and want to remain small for the rest of my years. My Taco and Outback will serve my purpose. I want to use this site to gain insight BEFORE I put my money down. 
  • LibrarydragonLibrarydragon Member Posts: 103
    We tow with a 2017 off-road Tacoma 4x4, no issues with towing. But with our RAV4 we added air bladders.
    Sara&Carl
    2015 max s outback, TV 2011 RAV4, V6, 4x4, & 2017 Tacoma Off-road 4x4
    Soquel, CA
  • tabiphiletabiphile Member Posts: 423
    The stock base will with a tow package will do just fine.
    Worth noting that even if the Taco does not include the tow package (bummer), the wiring for the 7 pin is present under the dash. I'm not sure at what point the second gen (05-15) started to include this...I'm pretty sure at least as far back as 11.
    They may also be pre-wired (including the base) for a backup cam. These can be plug and play if you can locate three wires to the rear bed gate....two wires is a no go...again, back to 11ish?
    Poke around in Tacoma World for more details.
  • dmerzbacdmerzbac Member Posts: 289
    I have another question regarding Tacoma Sport sagging issues. Other than airbags, what are other options for getting rid of this sagging problem that won't affect my '17 TRD Sport warranty? (and reasonable in cost) I know the air bags can run in the $500-$1000 range.

2017 T@b 320 - 'Smokey'  2017 Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport - 'B@ndit'
    Dave - Tuscaloosa, Al

• ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,394
    edited January 2018
    Check out a Timbren kit. These are basically overload springs that replace your stock rear axle stop bumpers. They give you a certain amount of freeplay to maintain a cushy ride while not loaded, but they engage when the sag get beyond a certain point.
    2015 T@B S
  • ericnlizericnliz Member Posts: 4,437
    @ScottG, There are also several variable ratio coil springs available that act in the same manner. I've used the MOOG springs with great success in the past. Usually about $100.00 to $150.00 per set for the rear.
    2016 T@B MAX S-aka: WolfT@B
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.
    Eric aka: Lone Wolf  

@ScottG @ericnliz Would a weight distribution hitch work as well on the sag? Do you know of other T@b owners who use this type of hitch? Just exploring all possibilities.

Dave - Tuscaloosa, Al

• ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,394
    edited January 2018
    Weight distribution hitches claim to reduce sag, but I don't have any firsthand knowledge of them. I don't recall much discussion here on the topic either, so my guess is not many T@B owners are using them.
    2015 T@B S
    @dmerzbac, I personally don't have any experience with them. I have friends that use one on a much larger trailer, and it seems to work ok with a Ford 1/2 ton truck. Maybe someone with a little more experience will chime in to help you out.
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.

• jason330ijason330i Member Posts: 72
    dmerzbac said:
    @ScottG @ericnliz Would a weight distribution hitch work as well on the sag? Do you know of other T@b owners who use this type of hitch? Just exploring all possibilities.

Hello. We are probably one of the few people who use a WDH to tow our T@b. Yes it does eliminate the sag on our Kia Sorento. Just gotta make sure to get the appropriate WDH and set it up correctly.

2017 T@b 320 S

2017 Kia Sorento SXL AWD

• Hale_HonuHale_Honu Member Posts: 15

2012 Tacoma 4wd access cab w/tow package.  I believe a 5" drop.  Level as heck.  No after market springs, lifts, or air bags.  Like every other Tacoma owner will tell you, it's a bit soft in the rear, but we take it easy and have not had any problems whatsoever.  We also are not roughing it anywhere.
    I will admit that I am thinking of some Bilstein shocks.
    Dave and Colleen
    2017 Sofitel S Max |  2012 Tacoma SR5 Access w/Towing Package
    Ashland City, TN
    @Hale_Honu Will the shocks themselves help with the sag?

Dave - Tuscaloosa, Al

• Hale_HonuHale_Honu Member Posts: 15
      I believe they will stiffen it up a bit.  I also have looked at the helper springs that other people have mentioned, they are relatively inexpensive and only kick in "under load".  But like I said earlier, the truck is handling well now.  
      We also don't keep a lot in the trailer other than bedding and some pots and pans etc.  My camp boxes (2) go up against the back of the cab in my truck.  We are casual weekend campers so don't haul a lot at this point.

Dave and Colleen
    2017 Sofitel S Max |  2012 Tacoma SR5 Access w/Towing Package
    Ashland City, TN
    @Hale_Honu, Just a little info for you: Shocks aren't made to raise/lower suspensions. They will stiffen it up a bit, but their main function is to dampen the ride, and keep the tires on the ground. Springs will help with the sag. If you're thinking of springs, the "helper" springs should fit the bill for you just fine. Sounds like from the way you describe your adventures, as long as you're not loading too much in the back of the truck, and keep the heavier things in front of the axle, you should be okay. I like to go on a little longer trips, but being careful as to how I pack really doesn't create an issue though. Sounds to me like you just need to get out there & have some fun! :)
    Spokane, Wa.