Getting Ready To Buy and Want Your Feedback

Hello, we think we want to get a Boondock 320S. Very excited about this....must admit we also looked at the airstream Basecamp but read about so many problems....So, my question is....are there significant problems with this tear drop trailer we should be aware of before buying....does anyone have regrets? What are they....I have mostly read very positive comments and figure this trailer is a pretty good one...so please, let me know what you think...like, is the refrigerator a problem?....thanks so much!

Comments

• jgram2jgram2 Member Posts: 1,522
    We bought a used 2015 Outback(now Boondock) and dealt with a recall where the gas lines were resting on the fridge fins with a potential for wear damaging the lines-repaired by a local dealer, paid for by nüCamp. The older trailers had a problem with counters overheating due to inadequate venting of the heat generated by the fridge. NüCamp supplied the fan/vent and we paid for the labor to install. Some folks would prefer a larger fridge, we're fine with it. Some augment by purchasing an ARB and carry that in their TV. The fridge can be finicky to start up on propane, but if you level your trailer and follow directions, it works just fine. Some complain because the pilot light blows out when they leave the fridge on propane while driving, we choose not to travel with the propane running. I think there may be some variations in state laws about that practice. The fridge sucks lots of battery juice, so we've never used it on DC. I'm sure others will think of more, but we love love love our T@Bit@T!
    John, Judi, Guinness & OD in PDX
    T@Bit@t 2015 S Max Outback, ‘18 V6 4Runner 

• Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,460
    I think a point of frustration for new owners is the learning curve with the Alde.  You need to take the time to understand how it is designed to work.  Much nicer than a forced hot air furnace, can’t beat radiator heat.  As you would expect for a small trailer, the holding tank sizes are limited, but there are work arounds for that. The quality of the build and customer service are excellent.  We have a CS with an ARB instead of the 2 way frig, so I can’t comment on the Boondock 3 way.  Storage is, of course, limited with the CS models having the most.  I do remember some owners with the exterior shower being disappointed with the water pressure.  I think owners initial experiences are improved if you know what to expect, so keep reading the forum.  It is the best information available.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • GailandJohnGailandJohn Member Posts: 123
    We're new to RVing, though we had a boat for awhile and were familiar with pulling, and purchased our 2017 Outback in August and we love it! It is so easy to tow, stress free, which was important to us. The fridge works well for us. The last trip, which was about 7 hours, we turned the fridge on electric before we left and put two large frozen packs in the bottom. Everything was nice and cold, and we hooked up to shore power when we got there so no worries about the battery. Hubby had to adjust to the height inside as he is over 6 feet, but he adjusted quickly. We've started using the DVD player at night when we're ready to go inside, after enjoying a fire. That was really nice when we had no wifi and no phone service. The bathroom was a little tricky at first because it's so small, but we've both adjusted to it and being more "mature", we are glad to be able to stay inside when needing to make a bathroom trip or two in the middle of the night. I love the 3 windows, which makes it bright and airy, but when it's hot outside, it's nice to be able to close the windows, put up the shades, turn on the AC and take a nice siesta. The most negative thing I can think of is the Fantastic fan. It's not so fantastic, blows great and you can choose whether to have it push or pull, but it is loud and only 3 settings. Then it started squeaking. We took the trailer in for some minor warranty work last week and had them check the fan, but they said it sounded normal. I think we'll be upgrading before spring. If you're buying new, you might want to check in to having it upgraded as part of the purchase agreement. There isn't much storage, but our TV is a van, so we have plenty of room in it for storage. I really like the looks of the 400, but we would need a larger TV, and more money. Besides, I really like that we can each get out of bed at night without climbing over the other. The thing that surprised me the most was how much stuff we had to buy, and there's more on our wish list, in addition to a canoe, which we would like to put on the van and take with us when we go to a lake. Hope this helps and hope you enjoy your Boondock! Pictures please.  :)

Gail & John 

• HomebodyatheartHomebodyatheart Member Posts: 2,491
    My 2017 Tab 320MaxS is my first RV. My only regret is that I didn’t buy one ages ago! Actually I like the 2017 model year, and only make small mods to it. Enjoy the journey!
    2017 T@B 320 Max S silver and cherry red, L@dybug ("Bug" aka my esc@pe pod), TV 2015 Toyota Highlander aka Big Red
  • dougmdougm Member Posts: 23
    Thank you for the very nice comments. It is really appreciated....it is a big decision and our initial reaction to the T@B was it was very special and totally cool..........One more question? Does anyone have a dog they travel with and how is the space working for them?
  • ToefootToefoot Member Posts: 38
    When you go to purchase choose the dealership wisely. On RV trader they are wanting upwards of $32,000 for a 320 S Outback model and plenty for sale in the $26-$29,000 range......it seems prices are getting stupid for some dealerships. Protect yourself, Here in Colorado they go from $18,000 to $22,000 depending on model.
    2018 320S Outback pulled by 2012 Jeep Wrangler.
  • jgram2jgram2 Member Posts: 1,522
    @dougm, dogs! Good polling question!
    John, Judi, Guinness & OD in PDX
    T@Bit@t 2015 S Max Outback, ‘18 V6 4Runner 

• Tabaz Tabaz Member Posts: 2,350
    After 26 months of ownership, still love my Outback.  Would buy it again in a heartbeat.  Only problems were a noisy Norcold frig fan and Alde not working at higher altitudes.  Both issues resolved.  Really appreciate the extra ground clearance, aluminum platform and larger propane tub.
    2016 Outback 320 with a 2010 Ford Expedition.
  • Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    edited December 2017
    Toefoot said:
    When you go to purchase choose the dealership wisely. On RV trader they are wanting upwards of $32,000 for a 320 S Outback model and plenty for sale in the $26-$29,000 range.
    Obviously dealers can sell these units for what they see fit and depending on what options and add-ons have been built into the trailer.

Additionally the cost of a unit is also based on geographic location in the US and Canada as the transportation & delivery costs are built into and factored into a dealers pricing and will be passed on to the buyer.  Since it costs more to truck these trailers out to the west coast you will find that units located closer to Sugarcreek, Ohio will probably be priced less than units sitting out in San Diego and people often do travel long distances to obtain lower priced units.  

And no doubt units are priced accordingly by dealers to availability and what they feel the market will support and bear and via supply and demand strategies to fit their geographic location.  NüCamp builds, markets and distributes the trailers, sells them to the dealers, and no doubt the dealers mark them up. 
    Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
    Thanks for the tips on pricing.  It’s also great to hear all of the positive feedback. I’d be very interested to hear how many days people have been able to dry camp for and your best tips for getting more days?  What do you tend to run out of first, propane, battery, water, black water storage?

Thanks!
    I’d also like to know how do people store the tank drain hose?
  • ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,391
    Dem's a lot of questions, @dougm!  (Good ones though...)

Grab a cup of your favorite beverage and spend some time perusing the forum. These topics have been discussed at great length many times in the past, and there's lots of good info and opinions here.

In short, the answers really depend on how you camp. For me the biggest limitation to dry camping would be the battery. I have a 100W solar panel, but it's only as good as the exposure at your site. Without a good recharge I can probably go three maybe four days on my group 27 battery if I'm careful. I've never had an issue running out of propane or filling the black tank, but I've never been in one place for more than nine days straight.

Happy reading!
    2015 T@B S
  • ToefootToefoot Member Posts: 38
    Toefoot said:
    When you go to purchase choose the dealership wisely. On RV trader they are wanting upwards of $32,000 for a 320 S Outback model and plenty for sale in the $26-$29,000 range.
    Obviously dealers can sell these units for what they see fit and depending on what options and add-ons have been built into the trailer.

Additionally the cost of a unit is also based on geographic location in the US and Canada as the transportation & delivery costs are built into and factored into a dealers pricing and will be passed on to the buyer.  Since it costs more to truck these trailers out to the west coast you will find that units located closer to Sugarcreek, Ohio will probably be priced less than units sitting out in San Diego and people often do travel long distances to obtain lower priced units.  

And no doubt units are priced accordingly by dealers to availability and what they feel the market will support and bear and via supply and demand strategies to fit their geographic location.  NüCamp builds, markets and distributes the trailers, sells them to the dealers, and no doubt the dealers mark them up. 

Agreed to a degree, Ohio market seems to be capitalizing on this price frenzy with regards to shipping cost being at a minimum with instate production when considering national distribution cost. Shareholders should be happy. Personally my threshold was about $22,000 and would walk away if it went above it. 

This being a niche market it will be interesting to watch long term and who is commanding what prices regionally. As of today I could save anywhere from $1.00 -$7000 dollars with a $250.00 plane ticket and a $300.00 rental truck to bring the unit back home if the area I was living in had prices reaching or breaching the top tier. Some may conclude that this is predatory pricing and may have a good argument. You must admit that a $7000.00 difference with the same Make/model is extreme, people are not dumb.

Disposable income is fickle at best.

I am not a fan of being a forum member here under the nucamp banner, it stifles and restricts speech via rule enforcement. Yourself and the other mod control content by going as far as printing/enforcing the rules that nucamp wants positive feedback on this board when it comes to product and remove most things negative warranted or not. 

People talk, complain and praise....it is what we do but it seems this forum is just a marketing tool and arm for nucamp and select vendors, nothing wrong with this but I enjoy the flow of conversation both good and bad without the messy big brother/sister stuff blurring a simple thing as enjoying camping with a T@B.

I do appreciate the information I have gathered on this site from forum members but this place is not my frosty mug of beer.

As promised, I will respectfully bow out now as I will not go by the forum rules, being proactive in preventing future confrontation with Mods or nucamp.
    2018 320S Outback pulled by 2012 Jeep Wrangler.
  • dragonsdoflydragonsdofly Member Posts: 1,916
    @Toefoot, so sorry you feel this way. I very strongly do not. To everyone their own opinion, that's what gives every person their own flavor, and each moment its spice.
    2017 t@b sofitel(Dr@gonsFly)TV 2015 Silverado 2500hd(Behemoth). Wyandotte, Michigan.
    Draco dormiens numquam titilandus.
    @Toefoot, there is no prohibition against objective, thoughtful criticism. The feedback received via this forum--both good and bad--has helped nuCamp improve and refine their products.

That said, civility still rules here. Instigating arguments and fomenting negativity--whether directed at another member or at our sponsor--will not be allowed. Some of us draw that line a little tighter than others. We are all human.

I'm sorry to see you go, but as for your promise to respectfully bow out, that has already been broken.
    2015 T@B S
  • ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    @dougm, We camp with our medium-sized dog. He squeezes into the remaining floor space just fine. It's a little tricky maneuvering around him when heading into the toilet closet.
    We have the add-a-room tent, which works great for extra space for the dog and gear, especially with winter camping.
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Tabaz Tabaz Member Posts: 2,350
    Toefoot - I strongly, and respectfully, disagree with your perception of this forum. The factory does not control our discussions.  The four moderators are T@B owners who volunteer their time on our behalf.  They receive zero compensation from the factory. I personally have violated the forum rules on a few occasions and had my posts deleted (and rightly so). This forum has provided me with invaluable technical information and the opportunity to connect with other T@B owners in my area. Please keep an open mind and continue to participate in the forum.
    2016 Outback 320 with a 2010 Ford Expedition.
    My wife and I have been trailer shopping for a while and checking the forums as we go. This one seems by far to be the friendliest, most helpful, respectful, and enthusiastic.   You all have a good thing going.  

Is it a good assumption the a couple and a medium sized dog (<50 lbs) could camp for 2 nights and three days without needing to recharge the battery, running out of water, or needing to empty the waste tanks?

Thanks everyone!
    @dougm, thanks for your perspective on the forum. 

I think two nights/three days is doable if you have a good battery and are very parsimonious with your power usage. Pay attention to your battery's state of charge and don't let its resting voltage get much below 12.2V if you want to keep it healthy. If you both plan to shower daily, you might run a little tight with the water supply unless you can be quick and conservative. If in doubt bring along an extra 5gal jug or two. I wouldn't anticipate any issues with waste tanks or propane. 

Give it a try, but have a back-up plan if you are at all worried. With a little experience you'll get a good sense of how your particular camping routine taxes your resources.
    2015 T@B S
  • HomebodyatheartHomebodyatheart Member Posts: 2,491
    @dougm I had the dealer install a 27 battery and bracket mount in place of the 24 and paid the cost difference. My first trip out I was on my third day when it was discovered I was running on propane and battery only. Who knew you had to turn the breaker switch on at the power pole? Not me, that’s for sure! I had no problems so now I know I can dry camp, which I did later in the season. Hope this helps!
    2017 T@B 320 Max S silver and cherry red, L@dybug ("Bug" aka my esc@pe pod), TV 2015 Toyota Highlander aka Big Red
    Thanks everyone.  We picked up our T@B 320S Boondock today.  Very excited to get start getting acquainted with it. Any recommendations for a cover and tent that will fit with the high ground clearance and tire mounted on top?

Also, I'm wondering how critical it is to put antifreeze in the water lines in California.  Isn't blowing them out with air good enough?
    Many of us don't bother with putting antifreeze in the lines, even in the frozen north. However, keep in mind that regardless of where you live, freezing is freezing, so whichever method you employ, do it completely and carefully.

If you haven't found them already, there's at least three winterizing documents in the "Users Manuals..." category that you might want to peruse.
    2015 T@B S
  • brookingsbrookings Member Posts: 39
    edited January 2018
    I just bought a new 2018 tab s. I live in Oregon. No sales tax. I called all the tab dealers and said I had $20,100 and I got it for that. Try it. Plus your not being grinded by some sales manager. Give them a credit card deposit on the phone and have them email you the contract. You can always cancel the card payment if you need to.