Grey Water Odour Treatment?

..or Camco vs Happy Campers?

After a few weeks of full-timing, my grey water tank developed a really unpleasant odour.  I have access to a bathhouse at the moment, so the only thing going in the tank is water from dishes (although I do put some water down the shower drain from time to time to keep it from drying out). 

I cook in the T@B pretty much every night, and I'm really careful to wipe off dishes to keep any food particles or grease from going down the drain. But even so... and likely inevitably in the hot weather we've been having... THAT odour appeared!  

I picked up a bottle of Camco Grey Water Treatment.  It says to use 4oz to treat 40 gallons.  Umm... my grey tank is only 19 gallons and I rarely let it get more than half full before dumping it.  So I put just a splash down the sink drain and instantly... no more smell!  Amazing! I was in love.

Then about a day later... the smell came back.  Another splash and it was gone.  But now it seems I'm putting some of this down the drain daily.  Luckily, it's cheap (about $6 for the 32oz bottle) but I'm thinking of trying something different.

I've searched on this forum and see a lot of people really like "Happy Campers".  However, they usually talk about the black tank treatment (which I don't have) and the grey tank is added as an after thought.  Happy Campers is a powder, and according to their website can be used in a grey tank if you mix it with some water before using it.  It's also a bit more expensive initially, although it should last a long time.

Any thoughts on specifically using Happy Campers for grey tank use?

2018 T@B Max S silver and black (aka TadT@B), Full-timing since July 2017

Comments

• rkj__rkj__ Member Posts: 641
    edited August 2017
    Though there are some products that are labeled as gray water treatments, I believe any black water treatment would be suitable.  As per the directions on most holding tank treatments, they can be used for both black and gray.  I would not hesitate to do so.

I have not had any gray water odor issues, but since you mention it, I should probably dump a bit down there, as I have not recently.  Last time I dumped treatment in the gray water tank, it was the same product I used for the black water.
    2016 T@b 320 CS-S - 2018 GMC Sierra - St. Catharines, Ontario, Canada
  • jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,389
    I would not use anything other than a gray tank treatment.

As an aside, I found that gray water odor is often really just a dried out drain. Put a little fresh water in your traps and see if that does it.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,460
    Google the Geo Method.  Involves Dawn dish detergent and Calgon water softener.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • DurangoTaBDurangoTaB Member Posts: 754
    Ditto to Jenn...if the smell is coming from the sink drain it's the P trap and not the tank.  

J.D. & Sue

Durango, CO    2014/15 S M@xx :  "Dory's HabiT@B"  Keep on swimming...

• HR_TalyHR_Taly Member Posts: 119
    @jkjenn and @DurangoTaB, I do make sure my traps don't run dry.  Although I haven't used the shower in my T@B in a few weeks thanks to the luxury of having a shower house on site here, I make a point to pour any excess fresh water from my kettle down the drain in the shower.  I've always got some water on the go - for coffee in the morning, to boil for dish washing and also for tea in the evenings so I'm very sure that neither drain is drying out.

The Camco stuff again eliminates it immediately, but I need to add more the following day.  Usually it's when I'm doing dishes - so it's a larger amount of water (not just a bit for general washing of my hands, etc). 

Happy Campers is indicated for use in Grey Tanks according to the directions.  

I was pretty sure I wasn't doing anything incorrect, and don't think there's anything wrong with the T@B, I just think it's a combination of the fact that I live full-time in my T@B and cook daily in it as well as the current high temperatures.  Just looking for the best way to keep it under control until likely when the weather cools a bit or I head to a more temperate state.

• Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,460
    What would baking soda followed by vinegar do to the Tab plumbing?  That is an effective remedy for cleaning shower drains at home.  
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
    Hmm.. that's an interesting thought, @SAM!  Back home we would use bicarb and vinegar often as we don't tend to use many chemical cleaners.  Someone already suggested it to me to try to clean off some weird discolouration on my propane burner, and I don't know why it hadn't come to mind before.

It should be very safe to use even on the T@B plumbing, but might need too much water to flush out the vinegar smell... unless I do it when I'm draining the tank (I drain into portable tanks and take those to a grey water dump).  Hmmm... I'll think on it!

• RamrodRamrod Member Posts: 164

Sani Sticks, As Seen on TV Drain Cleaner and Deodorizer, Unscented

• Sani Sticks drain sticks eliminate embarrassing odors from drains and prevent clogged sinks
    • Save money on plumbers and drain snakes as powerful enzymes break down oil and grease to keep drains free and clear
    • Sani Sticks drain deodorizer and cleaners are thin, round and only 6.3 inches long and 100 percent safe for plumbing and septic tanks with no toxic chemicals
    • Avoid embarrassing smells and nasty water buildup in sinks and showers with just one Sani Stick per month
    • Keep your drains clean and odor-free, all year long with Sani Sticks as part of your cleaning supplies
    Sani Sticks have worked for me.
  • HomebodyatheartHomebodyatheart Member Posts: 2,491
    I use Happy Campers in both tanks. 1 scoop down the toilet, 1/2 scoop down the shower drain and 1/2 scoop down the sink, all followed with water. This is my 8th trip since April when we brought her home and I've never had odors yet. My rhino hose has also never had an odor. And we've had a hot summer. If the Camco isn't working for you try something else. Everyone seems to have their own faves. Good luck!
    2017 T@B 320 Max S silver and cherry red, L@dybug ("Bug" aka my esc@pe pod), TV 2015 Toyota Highlander aka Big Red
    Just to resurrect this thread in case it shows up in anyone's search and so they know the outcome after a few months of trial!

Really, really happy with Happy Campers tank treatment (no pun intended!). I tend to put a partial scoop of the powder in the old Camco bottle, fill it up with water, shake well and use that for the occasional dump down the kitchen (and shower) drain. For those catching up, I don't have a black tank.  The only downside?  I liked the lemon smell of the Camco :) The Happy Campers is odourless.  Not much of a downside, but I thought it was funny that was the only complaint!

I've also realised the difference with some of the responses earlier especially in the last few weeks when I'm in an RV park and not boondocking which now make a lot more sense.

When boondocking, I was extremely conservative with water. Hauling it in and draining it out will do that to you!  So I did go a good week between draining my grey water tank into containers to take to a dump spot over a few months. So things were concentrated, and odours had a good chance to build up, no matter how cautious you are at keeping food particles and grease from the drain. The Camco would immediately get rid of the smell, but it would come back after a few hours.  Happy Campers would also get rid of the smell right away, and keep it gone for a bit and it was manageable with the occasional top-offs. It worked great!

I'm currently in a park with hookups (wow, this is the LIFE!) and other than treating my tank after dumping (I leave the grey tank closed until it's nearly full and then pull the lever to let it drain) I don't need to top off, and I've no odour at all!  Maybe because I'm not being so conservative with water (old habits die hard!) and as long as I pour a bit in both the sink and shower after draining, I've had no odour at all.

So I hope that is handy and helps clear up some possible confusion as like so many things, it depends on your type of camping! But for both types, I'd recommend Happy Campers for grey tank use, too, as it's both very effective and cost efficient way to make sure you get no odour.