Options

Hitch height 400

I read that the best height to the top of the hitch ball is 16 inches for the 320.  Is it the same for the 400?  I towed it home uneventfully, but I had never towed before, so I really have no idea if it was ideal or not.  
2018 T@b 400

Comments

• Options
    dragonsdoflydragonsdofly Member Posts: 1,926
    @gooddogs74, the measurement is greater for the 400. It depends on your TV (tow vehicle). What you're looking for is to tow in a level position, meaning the nose(hitch) of your trailer and the tail end be level while sitting on your TV ball. It also depends on how heavily both trailer or vehicle are loaded. Front end of trailer too far up or down can lead to sway and further resulting in a mishap. Hook up your trailer, find a level spot and get out and eyeball your rig. The closer to level you are the better you are. If the nose of your trailer is up, you need a larger drop in your hitch and the reverse is true. If you towed your rig home and didn't have any sway or difficulties, you're probably ok. However, test look and drive again when loaded. Anyone with a 400 please give approx on the actual top of ball height measurement. Thanks. And gooddogs74, good luck, and success in getting squared away.
    2017 t@b sofitel(Dr@gonsFly)TV 2015 Silverado 2500hd(Behemoth). Wyandotte, Michigan.
    Draco dormiens numquam titilandus.
  • Options
    gooddogs74gooddogs74 Member Posts: 76
    @dragonsdofly  this is what it looked like when I left the dealer. When I zoom in on that picture it appears the car is slightly higher but not a lot. 
    2018 T@b 400
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,489
    Looks pretty perfect to me.  Once you add your gear you may or may not notice a difference.  A little lower at the hitch is better than a little higher.  
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    dragonsdoflydragonsdofly Member Posts: 1,926
    @gooddogs74, I agree with SAM. You look pretty level. Once you add probably almost 1,000 lbs of gear between TV and trailer, you may notice a difference. But at this point, looks good. Measure from the ground to the top of the ball on the hitch without the trailer, and you'll have a fairly accurate number. The back of your TV may drop when loaded, so measure when loaded. Measure again when loaded with the loaded trailer attached. If the measurements vary greatly, or trailer visibly is no longer level, then less of a drop or more of a drop in the hitch may be necessary, but it looks good at this point.
    2017 t@b sofitel(Dr@gonsFly)TV 2015 Silverado 2500hd(Behemoth). Wyandotte, Michigan.
    Draco dormiens numquam titilandus.
  • Options
    atlasbatlasb Member Posts: 583
    Top of ball measure for us is 19 inches.  
    2018 T@B 400, 2017 Nissan Titan Crew cab
  • Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    @atlasb yay! You get the T@B University #truckmatchescamper Badge! :smiley:
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    gooddogs74gooddogs74 Member Posts: 76
    @atlasb thanks for measuring that!
    2018 T@b 400