Tips for leaving dogs in the camper

geekmamageekmama Member Posts: 107
We're having a nice blizzard here in the Northeast so I figured I'd start working on camping plans.

I generally camp with my 12# dog and normally I don't really go anywhere that he can't go. I just made reservations for Provincetown, though, and he is generally okay going into shops and all, but I'm pretty sure I wouldn't be able to bring him into a restaurant. I'm going with a group and I'd like to be able to go to a restaurant if we decide. I looked around for dog sitters that might take him for a few hours and that might be an option or even paying another camper to watch him for a few hours, but I'm wondering if anyone has any tips on leaving their dog or dogs in the camper (assuming the weather is cool enough) for a few hours.

I was thinking that if I left him with a big, desirable chew treat he might be fine. Does anyone have any tips they've used? He stays fine in the car when I go into stores (at home), but the car doesn't have a fan that can be left on for him so I'd prefer he'd be in the camper.
Aileen, Muggles & Scout @ 2018 T@b CS-S @ 2018 RAV4 Adventure @ Massachusetts

Comments

• GailandJohnGailandJohn Member Posts: 123
    We're in the same boat. We have two little rat terriers, love to have them with us and don't like to board them, but we're planning to attend some social events this year, including uCamp, and we're thinking that the dogs won't be able to go with us to everything, so we would have to leave them in either the van or trailer. Though I have a little concern about destructive behaviors, I'm more concerned about someone stealing them. I'm thinking about getting a wireless camera that we can access from our phone so we can check on them and see how they're doing.

Gail & John 

• Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,461
    The wireless camera is a great idea.  I had a co-worker who checked up on her dog from work.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • dragonsdoflydragonsdofly Member Posts: 1,916
    @GailandJohn, and anyone else planning on attending Ucamp 18, lord willin' and the creek don't rise, I am also planning to attend. Some of the activities are too strenuous or long for me, and I am an animal lover, and did volunteer to pooch sit, distract, or just cuddle while others participated. Many campers brought their dogs and everything worked out. I look forward to pooch sitting becase the DH is allergic now, so there no longer are dogs in our daily lives. Hope to see you there. @geekmama, good luck with your future arrangements also.
    2017 t@b sofitel(Dr@gonsFly)TV 2015 Silverado 2500hd(Behemoth). Wyandotte, Michigan.
    Draco dormiens numquam titilandus.
  • GailandJohnGailandJohn Member Posts: 123
    @dragonsdofly, good to know! We will keep you in mind. :)

Gail

Gail & John 

• VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    Sunny Day, 12 lb Shih Tzu, goes where I go, except for shopping and eating. She is well behaved, knows the T@B is her home, and she accepts it. She sleeps on her blanket while I’m gone. She only barks when she hears my truck or my voice when I get back. She is not destructive, thank goodness. 

You need to acclimate your dog(s) to staying in the T@B. First spend time in the T@B with them at home, and leave them in the T@B for longer periods of time by themselves. As they realize the T@B is an extension of their home, they will show the same respect as they do at home. 

While camping without electricity in AZ, I open both side windows and the roof vent, and I place a rechargeable fan on the stove blowing towards the sofa so there is plenty of is plenty of air movement. She will not get too hot (my apologies to the Midwest and East Coast) and she knows I will be back. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,389
    Verna said:
    Sunny Day, 12 lb Shih Tzu, goes where I go, except for shopping and eating. She is well behaved, knows the T@B is her home, and she accepts it. She sleeps on her blanket while I’m gone. She only barks when she hears my truck or my voice when I get back. She is not destructive, thank goodness. 

You need to acclimate your dog(s) to staying in the T@B. First spend time in the T@B with them at home, and leave them in the T@B for longer periods of time by themselves. As they realize the T@B is an extension of their home, they will show the same respect as they do at home. 

While camping without electricity in AZ, I open both side windows and the roof vent, and I place a rechargeable fan on the stove blowing towards the sofa so there is plenty of is plenty of air movement. She will not get too hot (my apologies to the Midwest and East Coast) and she knows I will be back. 
    Very similar for Rocky. He loves the T@b and is also very happy with his "throne" (car seat) in my TV. I found there were many times, in the spring, while in Colorado, that I could very safely leave Rocky in the TV while I stopped somewhere for a bite. He was quite content to sleep in his Sherpa lined throne. In the T@b, he sleeps pretty much the entire time I am gone.

In hot weather, it is a different story. I have left him in the TV with the a/c on, briefly, while I run into use the bathroom. My TV will not allow you to shift into drive without the key fob. In the T@b, in dry areas, the windows and fan work well, unless it is extreme heat, then I camped at sites with A/C, which meant forking over commercial campground $$.

A note: once fire season started, I tried to take him with me as much as possible. Especially if boondocking, I would not want to leave a dog behind. Fires start up and blow up too quickly to risk it.

Doggie Vacay, Rover.com, and Wag.com might be good solutions if you need a short term sitter for Fido.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• geekmamageekmama Member Posts: 107
    Thanks for your experiences. Muggles isn't a destructive dog. I just worried he'd bark at everything, but he already loves the T@b and loves hanging out on his blankets so I'll try a few times at home and then just worry about the temperature.
    Aileen, Muggles & Scout @ 2018 T@b CS-S @ 2018 RAV4 Adventure @ Massachusetts