Hoping for a T@B purchase by Spring

I'm new to the forum this week. The information here is great! Thanks to all who have been building up this great community!

I have been looking at Teardrops for a while and am leaning strongly to a T@B 320 of some sort.  The T@B 400 is also a contender, but would require me to find a different storage situation than I currently have and I'm not sure I need all that space and weight. 

Of course the 320 leaves me with enough other decisions to keep me occupied for the rest of winter: clamshell or not, and if not clamshell, Outback/Boondock or not. On the clamshell debate, having the extra area on the bed sounds nice, but sleeping in the same room with a running fridge and the leftover scent of dinner, maybe not. And the storage in the front of the CS looks very practical. Inside bath is working its way to must-have status.

As for Boondock, a few destinations I have in mind involve some unpaved driving, and I’m not sure it requires the extra clearance, but the peace of mind may be of value and the changes to the tongue box and front platform are nice. How useful is that Yakima basket for additional gear when it has the spare on it? Do many folks find a need move the spare to get more out of the Yakima rack? 

The local dealer has a number of CS models that are puzzling to me, having looked over the pics on nucamprv.com. The fridges in these CS units look like that in a T@G, lower and top-loading. The counter surface is all one level as in the T@G. Is this a new design?

I’m sure I’ll have more questions - just beginning to poke around at things like solar and other ways to charge the battery. I don't care if the video system gets used, but CPAP will extend my warranty by a few years.

Thanks,
John
Olympia, WA
2018 T@B 320S Sofitel 
2017 Tacoma SR5 AC 4x4 w/ 6 cyl Towing Package

Comments

• Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,460
    John, not clear if you are looking at new or used CS models, but it sounds like they have the Norcold chest style 2 way Frig.  If new, it may be the dealer ordered that way due to his market.  I know that there was discussion of placing 3 way frigs in the CS models, but those don’t sound like a 3 way.  

Sounds like you need to decide if you need a higher axel first as there is no Boondock CS model, however, there has been at least 1 forum member who ordered a CS with the raised axel.  You will also find that most people with the inside kitchen still cook outside which may eliminate that factor.  As far as the 320 models, the CS has the most storage, but a smaller bed.  You can add the front platform and tongue box to any model and the Yakima rack can be added to the non-CS 320.  Good luck!
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • ReptardReptard Member Posts: 4
    John,
          Welcome! For me it comes down to ability and utility. I want everything internal so I have the OPTION to stay inside if it's too nasty out. I rented a little guy 5 wide clamshell model one time and it rained all 5 days I had it. That was the time I decided I needed to be able to cook inside in the future. Otherwise like the little guy, it'd just be a bed on wheels. I too am doing the shower. I don't plan to use it but I at least have the option. When You're spending this kind of money, you gotta do it right the first time. Happy Researching!

PS...I hate making up my mind on here regarding options. Takes away from my research process lol. 
  • rkj__rkj__ Member Posts: 641
    The CS hatch provides quite a bit of shelter actually.  I have No issues cooking in the rain or snow, as long as it is not too windy.  
    2016 T@b 320 CS-S - 2018 GMC Sierra - St. Catharines, Ontario, Canada
  • TabberJohnTabberJohn Member Posts: 588

If you enjoy outdoor cooking a CS galley offers a much larger area to work in plus plenty of headroom. But it's unlikely you'll get up in the morning to make eggs and coffee naked as a jaybird. :D
    With a standard U or S model what happens in T@B stays in T@B. ;)

BTW: If you haven't visited the nuCamp website lately there's been a major re-do (very nice): https://nucamprv.com/

2015 T@B Max S (White/Silver) -> 2014 Ford Escape 2.0L (turbo, AWD, factory tow)
  • ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,396
    edited December 2017
    We like cooking outside, but I wouldn't trade the bed space (particularly the ability to sleep front-to-back) for an outdoor kitchen.

That said, a lot of our prep work has migrated inside over three seasons. The actual cooking, however, still happens outside on our Weber Q or portable propane stove.

At the end of the day, it's really a question you have to answer for yourself.
    2015 T@B S
  • CuffsCuffs Member Posts: 13
    John

First is Treacy your middle or last name?  My husbands middle is Treacy! 

We have a Little guy 5-wide OffRoad and love it!  We frequent forest service trails/roads and it gets us there!  (we are about to upsize to a t@b Outback for the same reasons).

I was very concerned about indoor cooking vs outdoor cooking when we first shopped teardrops. I also was suspicious of not having indoor plumbing/bathroom. Living in Yosemite, I took the opportunity to ride my bike through every campground one to see what was really going on. 

What I noted was that nearly everyone from the largest motor coaches to truck campers and tear droppers were cooking and eating outdoors.  (tent campers had no choice obviously!)  Even in cooler and even cold weather, they were still outdoors.  There were the few mega-bus folks who never came outside, but still thought they were camping...  but whatever makes them happy, I guess.   

As backpackers, lack of an indoor toilet never really bothered us, as woods were nearby or theres always the bathhouse.  Its no bother for us to take that walk.  We find the walk far more enjoyable than having to interrupt our camping in order to dump the tanks... (friends of ours have a huge coach and it takes them nearly 2 hours to just set up!  Then they have to break down just to dump tanks, then re-set themselves!  We don't have time for that, we're too busy hiking and enjoying the outdoors!)

Look at where you want to travel.  Will you need a higher clearance?  
    If indoor toilet brings you comfort, get it.  

I would only suggest that you don't over-buy if you don't know if you'll use something. (We started with a teardrop knowing it would fit our needs and could upgrade when we felt the need, not buying something larger 'just because.')
  • johntreacyjohntreacy Member Posts: 31

Cuffs said:
    John

It's my last name :-)
    Olympia, WA
    2018 T@B 320S Sofitel 

Cuffs said:
    John

Interesting!  Same spelling.  Do you attribute it to Irish heritage?  (his is)
    Thanks for all the input. Yep, there's a whole lot of scenarios that I'm talking myself through and trying to work out which are the most important and likely use cases. 

I travel to a lot of music camps and festivals. On the road to these events, I want a very quick, minimal or no setup for overnight stops. Some folks have tried to talk to me about A-Frames, but I don't want to pop anything up or fold it down when I'm rolling to an event. Similarly, while on the way to events, an inside kitchen seems like it would help achieve this efficiency. 

When I get to a festival, outside cooking is definitely the way to go. It's just easier to continue socializing (jamming mostly) if you don't have to keep going inside. 

I'm sure I'll figure it all out. I have plenty of time and reading the forums is giving me more insights into how others have approached the same choices.

Thanks,
    John
    Olympia, WA
    2018 T@B 320S Sofitel 

My biggest compliment towards no-setup (vs A-liner and others) was my experience about a year ago.  checked in to campground in a Driving, sideways rain that was not going to let up any time soon. Open truck door, jump, run, open trailer door, get in!  I already had my camper, but that sealed the deal on no-setup!!
  • rkj__rkj__ Member Posts: 641
    Cuffs said:
    My biggest compliment towards no-setup (vs A-liner and others) was my experience about a year ago.  checked in to campground in a Driving, sideways rain that was not going to let up any time soon. Open truck door, jump, run, open trailer door, get in!  I already had my camper, but that sealed the deal on no-setup!!
    My wife and I often arrive at our campsite late at night, after dark.  We certainly appreciate the T@b for its minimal / no setup.  Often we will un-hitch and level, but if the weather is like you describe, we have the option to just run from door to door, and call it a night. 
    2016 T@b 320 CS-S - 2018 GMC Sierra - St. Catharines, Ontario, Canada
  • easttntabeasttntab Member Posts: 48
    I have a 2016 CS, love it! I cook outside when it works out. I use a coleman 2 burner stove inside when the weather might dictate otherwise. I didn't think I would want a toilet and shower, but have come to appreciate having it.
  • HomebodyatheartHomebodyatheart Member Posts: 2,491
    @johntreacy figuring it out is half the fun! As much as I live the CS model, I love the S model better, and am glad I chose it. I like options, and I have that in the S model. Part of camping for me is cooking outside, so I do. But I can cook inside if I need or want to. I didn’t start to use the shower till the end of the season and then wondered why I waited so long! Anyway, here’s a pic of the setup I use the most often. Enjoy the journey! 
    2017 T@B 320 Max S silver and cherry red, L@dybug ("Bug" aka my esc@pe pod), TV 2015 Toyota Highlander aka Big Red
  • 2Cougs2Cougs Member Posts: 904
    Agree with @rkj__ ;). There is plenty of overhang to get out of the weather.  LOVE my outside kitchen and the storage so everything is right there even if I have set up my BBQ or extra table.  
    2016 T@B CS-S silver with white trim and WSU themed
    Pulled by a silver 2017 Chevy Silverado
    Leaves on T@bventures from Spokane, WA

Cuffs said:

Cuffs said:
    John

Interesting!  Same spelling.  Do you attribute it to Irish heritage?  (his is)
    Yes. My family is from Ireland. 
    Olympia, WA
    2018 T@B 320S Sofitel 

Thank you all for the useful input. The polls haven't closed yet, but early returns show that the 320S is leading by a slim margin. I have lots of camp cooking gear that I've used for years of tent camping and I can still take that along for setting up outside when I need it.
    For many of the events I travel to, meals are provided once I arrive. It's the meals on the road that I need to fix for myself. It seems like the 320S would be easier for the overnights on the way to these events. If I'm headed to a festival where I will be on my own for meals, I can bring the outdoor kitchen setup that I've used for years.

Olympia, WA
    2018 T@B 320S Sofitel 

• HomebodyatheartHomebodyatheart Member Posts: 2,491
    @johntreacy you might want to check out harvesthosts .com. They have a nice website that explains it well. It’s a great option for a single night. Once you pay the annual fee the sites are free. It is dry camping and you have to be self contained to be accepted for membership. S models qualify, CS models don’t. Many have posted great pics of their adventures, too! 
    2017 T@B 320 Max S silver and cherry red, L@dybug ("Bug" aka my esc@pe pod), TV 2015 Toyota Highlander aka Big Red
    Congrats!  Soon and very soon....

• dragonsdoflydragonsdofly Member Posts: 1,916
    @johntreacy, welcome to the forum and t@b family. Congratulations on you purchase! Good wishes for many great adventures.and most of all, happy t@bbing!
    2017 t@b sofitel(Dr@gonsFly)TV 2015 Silverado 2500hd(Behemoth). Wyandotte, Michigan.
    Draco dormiens numquam titilandus.
    Olympia, WA
    2018 T@B 320S Sofitel 

The day has arrived!
    Olympia, WA
    2018 T@B 320S Sofitel 

Birthd@y!!!  Let the fun begin!

• dragonsdoflydragonsdofly Member Posts: 1,916
    @johntreacy, woot, woot. Raise the roof. It's beautiful! Although I may be a bit partial (2017 Sofitel). Enjoy, truly enjoy.
    2017 t@b sofitel(Dr@gonsFly)TV 2015 Silverado 2500hd(Behemoth). Wyandotte, Michigan.
    Draco dormiens numquam titilandus.
  • ericnlizericnliz Member Posts: 4,437
    :joy:, Now, the fun begins! Congrats! :)
    2016 T@B MAX S-aka: WolfT@B
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.
    Eric aka: Lone Wolf  

• MarcelineMarceline Member Posts: 1,497

The local dealer has a number of CS models that are puzzling to me, having looked over the pics on nucamprv.com. The fridges in these CS units look like that in a T@G, lower and top-loading. The counter surface is all one level as in the T@G. Is this a new design?

Wow. I just checked the dealer website and I really like the way they have had their CS models configured. It's not the "normal" configuration but IMHO the flush counter and pull-out fridge are way better for the CS. 

Congratulations on your purchase! 
    San Francisco Bay Area
    2013 CS-S us@gi
    Battered but trusty 3.5l V6 Hyundai Santa Fe
    2015 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner Double Cab