Alde issue?

I went camping this past weekend,  low temps in high 20s.  When I arrived to camp it was 7 PM, temp in T@b was 53.  I turned on the electric to 2, also turned on the propane and set thermostat to 75.  In AM when I woke, temp was 72.  I thought was working ok.  The next morning,  similar temps.   I did leave the propane on as I was not sure how much the electric only could handle?   When is it ok to not use the propane?  And is it normal to take hours for it to get warm in those kinds of temps?

When I went to shower however, I did not have normal hot water.   I pressed the water booster a few minutes before turning on the water.  I had only the hot knob on and had barely lukewarm water.  Later in the day,  I tried the outdoor shower and the same result.   

Suggestions?  Have I done something wrong?   The glycol gurgles.  I used a multimeter and checked the fuse marked Alde at the breaker box and I pulled both glass fuses from Aide and checked those.  All appear functioning. The hot water adjustment knob I was told was turned up all the way and this appears to be the case when I checked it.   The camper is brand new.  Thanks! 
2018 T@b 400

Comments

• ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,395
    It's okay not to use the propane when you are plugged into shore power. If you are not plugged into shore power, you must use propane as the Alde's electrical heaters only operate on 120V.

I can't really answer your question regarding how long it takes for the camper to heat up. However, the fact that you did have cabin heat says the Alde heaters were working fine. The same heaters that provide warmth for the cabin also heat the hot water. This suggests that your lack of hot water in the shower probably has more to do with a mis-adjusted mixing valve. I don't have one of those in my 2015, but this has been a recurrent topic here in the past. Hopefully somebody with more experience with the mixing valve can chime in with some specific advice.
    2015 T@B S
  • ericnlizericnliz Member Posts: 4,437
    edited January 2018
    @gooddogs74, I had the same issue with my 2016 T@B Max S. It turned out to be a bad mixing valve. Even after adjusting it ( several times in small increments) I would only get luke warm water after about 10 seconds. Turned out to be a bad mixing valve. Mine was changed at no charge under warranty. Might want to give nuCamp Warranty a call. Not sure if in your 400 if you have the same mixing valve set-up or not. I hope this gets you in the right direction. ;)
    2016 T@B MAX S-aka: WolfT@B
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.
    Eric aka: Lone Wolf  

• gooddogs74gooddogs74 Member Posts: 76
    Thanks @ericnliz the thing they showed me at the dealer was just a knob, looked like it was turned all the way towards a plus sign if I remember correctly.   I will go out and double check it tomorrow.
    2018 T@b 400
  • easttntabeasttntab Member Posts: 48
    Yes it is normal for Alde to take a couple of hours to bring the heat up. The colder it is the longer it takes. Once it gets hot and it will keep the camper toasty warm in the coldest of temps. I've camped multiple nights in single digit temps and was never cool. You don't need the propane, the electric will work fine. Something would be wrong if your water is only luke warm. Mine is hot and will steam up the bathroom. I'll add that even in single digit temperatures you will need to crack the roof vent and keep your shower door open so the it has air circulating too. Otherwise you will have condensation problems.  I really enjoy winter camping!
  • RollingBnBRollingBnB Member Posts: 322
    use these directions
    2020 Tiffin Open Road
    2020 Nissan Versa Toad 
    Alan & Patty
    Southern Az
  • 4ncar4ncar Member Posts: 1,072
    Your problem sounds different then what I had. My problem was I had a spot of hot water that would then turn cold. At first I thought it was the mixing valve, but in the end, the dealer had the plumbing valves set in the “winterized” position. This fixed my issue, so I would suggest(to be sure) that your valves are set correctly.
    TV- '16 Chevy Colorado LT Crew Cab-DuraMax
    2018 320S Outback
    @RollingBnB thank you for that. I looked at that and just assumed it was something to just turn.  I didn't loosen anything.  Not sure I follow exactly what to do by reading that, but I'll take a screwdriver out there tomorrow and play with it.   The dealer told me it was set to the hottest but I'm not convinced they really knew a whole bunch. 
    2018 T@b 400
    @4ncar do you happen to know what that looked like?  I believe the camper had been winterized prior to the dealer taking delivery,  and I just had them flush all the stuff out because we're in Florida.  Perhaps there is something else that needs to be done?
    2018 T@b 400
    edited January 2018
    The mixing valve is the most useless thing on the trailer. You have a cold water valve at the faucet to mix temps just like a house. I had to lift and turn the knob about 3 times to get full use of the hot water. Just be aware that you can loosen the shaft enough that it starts to leak.
    2020 Tiffin Open Road
    2020 Nissan Versa Toad 
    Alan & Patty
    Southern Az
    The mixing valve is a residential grade antiscald protection device; I have one on the domestic hot water jacket in my boiler at home. I do agree with the cold Walter knob approach, however on the T@b.
    2018 320S Outback
    @gooddogs74 the operative valve is the alde bypass valve. There is a picture of it in the winterizing instructions in the resource section.
    2018 320S Outback
    edited January 2018
    @RollingBnB I tried to adjust the valve.  Where it said to move the knob out to the side I just pulled it towards me once the screw was loose?  Is that right? I turned it some and re tightened as it said.  
    2018 T@b 400
    @RollingBnB I tried to adjust the valve.  Where it said to move the knob out to the side I just pulled it towards me once the screw was loose?  Is that right? I turned it some and re tightened as it said.  

Yes, I had to do it 3-4 times to get really hot water. It actually started leaking from the shaft when I went to far.
    2020 Tiffin Open Road
    2020 Nissan Versa Toad 
    Alan & Patty
    Southern Az
    Thanks @RollingBnB the dealer had told me it was set on the hottest,  but I am wondering if they just thought simply turning it was the way to adjust it. I'll get the system turned on soon and see if it made a difference.  
    2018 T@b 400
    edited January 2018
    Still waiting until I can get some water in the camper to see if the adjustment on the valve did anything.  Today I towed it to my house to leave overnight with the heat on since we are supposed to get down to 28 overnight.   Plugged it in (with 30 to 15 amp converter).  Was 64 in camper at 6 PM.  Turned on alde and set to 70.  Went to dinner and checked 2 hours later.  Was 56 in camper.  Circuit breaker where plugged into garage had been tripped, so no shore power.  Our battery health is still a giant question mark.  The glycol was gurgling but felt no heat anywhere.  Plugged back into shore power and will go out and check it again in an hour or so.  Theoretically it should be capable of heating the camper on the 15 amp from my house correct?  If that doesn't still seem to heat, I guess I will turn on the propane and see if it can heat from that.  
    2018 T@b 400
    You can only have 1 element on with 15 amps
    2020 Tiffin Open Road
    2020 Nissan Versa Toad 
    Alan & Patty
    Southern Az
    OK @RollingBnB that is good information.  So I have the propane on now, that should help, right?  Thank you, I could not find that information in the manual.  
    2018 T@b 400
    Update:  propane appears to be working to heat camper!  Will add this to my notes.

2018 T@b 400
  • HomebodyatheartHomebodyatheart Member Posts: 2,491
    @gooddogs74 because the alde heat is radient is it just plain slow, but once it heats the inside up it is delightful! I have it plugged in at home with a pigtail converter, 30 to 110 I think, and have no problems. I'm also very careful to plug things in and turn things on in a particular order. Everything in the trailer off, battery off, plug into shore power, then battery on, then anything inside. It's worked for me my first season, no blown fuses or breakers yet. Good luck!
    2017 T@B 320 Max S silver and cherry red, L@dybug ("Bug" aka my esc@pe pod), TV 2015 Toyota Highlander aka Big Red
  • Jellybones11Jellybones11 Member Posts: 27
    All good info. The Alde system has me a tad confused also so I will continue to read, practice, read, practice. I'm not mechanically inclined these days an am more of a visual learner. ..show me, then I learn better.
  • HomebodyatheartHomebodyatheart Member Posts: 2,491
    @Jellybones11 you’d better not let @ericnliz hear that. He always asks me(after I ask for advice) “ have you read the manual?” The answer is usually no, although occasionally I research it well and read the manual before calling. I’m a visual learner, too. Manuals usually put me to sleep!

2017 T@B 320 Max S silver and cherry red, L@dybug ("Bug" aka my esc@pe pod), TV 2015 Toyota Highlander aka Big Red
  • ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    edited January 2018
    @Homebodyatheart, I'm pretty sure that they've proven that when falling asleep with a manual on your lap (or preferably, on your face), you will absorb the information contained in said book, automatically while you sleep! So you're fine with that method.

I'm thinking that's how @ericnliz does it anyway.
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    ChanW said:
    @Homebodyatheart, I'm pretty sure that they've proven that when falling asleep with a manual on your lap (or preferably, on your face), you will absorb the information contained in said book, automatically while you sleep! So you're fine with that method.

I'm thinking that's how @ericnliz does it anyway.
    Man! That never worked in History class!! Which means, I'm doomed to repeat it (the class and History in general). :rofl:
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • ericnlizericnliz Member Posts: 4,437
    @ChanW, @Homebodyatheart, & @Ratkity, I've tried the "Chan" method & woke up with print on my face, and the knowledge of uh...lets NOT do THAT again! (And I had to use a mirror to read THAT page!) @ Ratkity, if you're remembering the class & history...uh, you've already experienced history without even realizin' it...Congrats! ;)@Homebodyatheart, I'm not REAL sure, but stuffin' your pillow case with manuals MIGHT not be the answer! =)
    2016 T@B MAX S-aka: WolfT@B
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.
    Eric aka: Lone Wolf  

• HvtymwiltravelHvtymwiltravel Member Posts: 51
    We are on a month long trip and had nightmare showers. It worked okay last summer. The water would be hot for a few seconds than go cold.  I called alde tech support and one of their first suggestions was to check that the mixing valve was calibrated. Mine was not calibrated.  Do this unpressurized but turn the valve all the way to the minus position, than remove the screw and cap.  Turn the valve more to the closed position until it is seated.  Next turn it out two revolutions and make this the max set point with the cap reinstalled against the tab on the valve.   Be careful because the more it is unscrewed the greater the chance of the valve flying apart.   They sent me a pdf of instructions which I may send if I figure out how with the phone.  Anyway great showers now.   Also keep in mind that you can check the heater and sanitary water temperatures. Mine currently are 135 degrees each.  On the control panel press the menu button than the wrench symbol.  Scroll down and go to service.  There you will find all kinds of information just be careful what you change
    i hope this helps.   I love the Alde system 
    Wayne
    2017 T@B 400   TV  Colorado Duramax
    I can’t seem to extract the file from iCloud Drive.  Be cautious making this adjustment, remember you are dealing with very high temperature water.  If you are not comfortable doing this let a professional make the calibration 
    Here is the file for calibrating the mixing valve  

• ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,395
    Good find, Hvtymwiltravel. I've also posted this in the resources category under the plumbing thread.
    2015 T@B S