Kidde Fire Extinguisher Recall - 11/02/17

nuCampnuCamp Administrator Posts: 22
edited November 2017 in Events & News
We are reaching out to inform you that there is a potential recall of the fire extinguisher in your camper.  Walter Kidde (fire extinguisher manufacturer) issued a recall on 11/2/17, stating that the fire extinguisher can become clogged and fail to activate during a fire emergency.  The fire extinguisher model number affected by this recall is 210D

We advise that you check your unit to see if you have one of these fire extinguishers. It only applies to units built from this 03/01/2017 through 11/17/2017If your unit has one of these fire extinguishers, reach out to Walter Kidde at 855-271-0773 or visit their website at www.kidde.com and they will replace the fire extinguisher for free. 

If you have any additional questions, please feel free to contact us.

Comments

• ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    And they'll replace many of their fire extinguishers as far back as the 1990s. When you enter your model# on their website, they'll let you know if it's one of the recalled models.
    They send out the new one with a return shipping label for the old one.
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • gregndebgregndeb Member Posts: 31
    Yup, I had a model number FF210D-1.  Kidde is mailing me a new extinguisher.  Here's a link to the identification info.
    https://s3.amazonaws.com/inmar-adx-files/N130284/US_Push+Button+Product+ID+Guide.pdf

T@B: 2018 320-CS Max
    TV: 2017 Toyota Highlander
  • DurangoTaBDurangoTaB Member Posts: 754
    Our T@B extinguisher is First Alert, but I did have one in the truck recalled...good news is they’ll replace it, bad news is they’re way backlogged so don’t hold your breath.

J.D. & Sue

Durango, CO    2014/15 S M@xx :  "Dory's HabiT@B"  Keep on swimming...

• BrianZBrianZ Member Posts: 1,763
    Thanks for posting this, and glad I check the forum. 
    We have now received our replacement, as well as another for the one we had in our kitchen.  Still wondering why this was a only a B-C type and not an A-B-C.

-Brian in Chester, Virginia
    TV: 2005 Toyota Sienna LE (3.3L V6)
    RV: 2018 T@B 320S, >100 mods 
  • TikiBarTabTikiBarTab Member Posts: 39
    My 2018 T@b came with an extiguisher that was on the recall list.  I sent for the replacement and they sent me one that was twice the size of the one that came in my T@b. The one recalled was a 2lb. ext., and the one they sent to replace it is a 6lb. ext, and twice the size!   It will not fit...when I called they said that that's all that they could do and that they had sent me one better than the one I had.  As you know there is very limited space, so in my opinion that is not better.  So I guess I will have to buy a new one from somewhere else.  The Kidde company was very unhelpful! Did they replace anyone else's with the correct size?
  • MarcelineMarceline Member Posts: 1,497
    Just a heads up. When you return the recalled fire extinguisher to Kidde (using the box that the replacement comes in), you cannot drop it off at a Fedex location. You must call the number listed and have it picked up by a driver. If you call the Fedex number and they tell you otherwise, they are wrong.  :s
    San Francisco Bay Area
    2013 CS-S us@gi
    Battered but trusty 3.5l V6 Hyundai Santa Fe
    2015 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner Double Cab
  • pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,605
    Check if you have a Fedex Distribution Center in your area.  The smaller Fedex storefronts are not equipped or qualified to handle and store the extinquishers (as Marceline points out).  I have a Distribution Center nearby and they took the (properly labeled and packed) box with no problems. 
    2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
  • ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    Wow. I took my six extinguishers to the fedex shipping office (Kinko's), and they told me I'd have to take them home to order a pick up! 
    I guess that office wasn't set up to deal with them.
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • PhotomomPhotomom Member Posts: 2,217
    It looks like this got unpinned, so I’m bumping it up for those who are just now getting their trailers out ow winter storage.
    John and Henrietta, Late 2016 T@B S Max in Western New York
  • 4ncar4ncar Member Posts: 1,072
    My replacement showed up 2 weeks ago, along with my house kitchen extinguisher, which was in the recall as Well!
    TV- '16 Chevy Colorado LT Crew Cab-DuraMax
    2018 320S Outback
  • dsfdogsdsfdogs Member Posts: 583
    @ChanW I recently dealt with this too. In your box with the new extinguisher, there should have been instructions and a label to be used for the return. You have to call Fed Ex and actually talk to someone. (Trying to get to a person is the worst part of the whole project). Give them the label/tracking number and they will schedule a pick up from your house.
    Debbie in Oregon
    2023 Tab 400 / 2022 F150 XLT Sport 3.5EB
    Traded in - 2018 T@B 320 S/2019 Toyota 4Runner SR5

• Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,461
    A TaG forum member is replacing his fire extinguisher in his 2018 model.  Just thought I would visit this issue again as owners of older models being sold here on the forum may not have received the notice.

If you are a new owner of a used TaB or just new to the forum, check out your fire extinguisher.  It may need replacement.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • SLJSLJ Member Posts: 445
    They replaced three of mine three or four years ago. The one in our Motorhome and the larger ones I had in my Shop and in the Garage.
    2021 T@B 320 S Boondock
    2023 Ford Maverick XLT
    The Finger Lakes of New York