Options

Upper cupboard spring loaded hinge replacement to keep doors in open position

Comments

• Options
    RlethbriRlethbri Member Posts: 38
    ordered the hinges and very excited to put them to work.  
    Sun Valley Idaho living, 2 restaurants, 2 labs, 1 helluva wife! 2016 T@B Max-S Outback towed by. 2007 Toyota FJ Crusier
  • Options
    RonRon Member Posts: 137
    I just installed the spring loaded hinges.  They hold the door open at more than 90 degrees.  Probably about 115 to 120.  Knob is about 3/4 to 1 inch below ceiling.  Seems close to what the struts were with less strain.  I reused the original screws.  Mount hinge to door and then mount door to frame.
    Their are probably more options available.  If you have ever gone through the Amerock catalog, you would never believe that their could be that many different hinges.
    2016 T@B MaxS, 2018 Jeep Rubicon 4dr, Rural Scottsdale, Az.
  • Options
    ericnlizericnliz Member Posts: 4,437
    @OutbackAZ, A big thanks for the info on just buying one pack of the hinges! No more smacked hands/knuckles, or creases in my forehead keeping the cabinets open! ;)
    2016 T@B MAX S-aka: WolfT@B
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.
    Eric aka: Lone Wolf  

• Options
    ClaudeAClaudeA Member Posts: 54
    Bought one pack of the hinges, installed them.  Works great, thanks for the tip.
    2016 CS-S silver and red, 2022 Toyota Sienna Hybrid
    Ottawa, Ontario
  • Options
    NewfisherNewfisher Member Posts: 105
    Installed these hinges and they line up, same holes, 2 min install and work great! 1 per door was all I needed and the doors do not hit the ceiling.
  • Options
    MarcelineMarceline Member Posts: 1,502
    Another piece of info: you can get away with replacing just one of the existing hinges on each door. 
    San Francisco Bay Area
    2013 CS-S us@gi
    Battered but trusty 3.5l V6 Hyundai Santa Fe
    2015 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner Double Cab
  • Options
    rkj__rkj__ Member Posts: 641
    KBaggins1 said:
    I noticed on a pic of a brand new T@B that the factory was using struts to hold up the front over counter cupboard doors.Thought I would bump this thread to show the alternative to the struts for older models. 

Thanks for bumping this thread.  Those Amerock hinges look like a great option.  I really need to implement a solution for holding the doors up. 
    2016 T@b 320 CS-S - 2018 GMC Sierra - St. Catharines, Ontario, Canada
  • Options
    @HR_Taly, I didn't have anything to hold mine open & got tired of trying to juggle the things I was taking out, putting back in, & banging my head in the process. I ordered the two pack as did you, used one on each cupboard door...problem solved! They keep the doors open at just the right "fully" open angle without hitting the ceiling.
    @Marceline, As you can see, I fully agree. I was skeptical until I tried it. Plenty strong enough to only require one per cupboard!
    @rkj__, Order those hinges! You'll wonder why you waited so long....I did! ;)
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.

• Options
    EstancioEstancio Member Posts: 243
    Agreed that these spring-loaded hinges work well. I replaced my stock ones a year ago and am 100% satisfied.

Stancil Campbell
    2011 T@B
    Rockingham, NC

• Options
    HR_TalyHR_Taly Member Posts: 119
    edited January 2018
    You know, I hate to be the person that thinks this but...

The replacement after-market hinges are so perfect and so inexpensive, I had to wonder why nuCamp doesn't use them.  The cabinets open easily, and no more creeeeeakk/squeak noise from the struts.  After replacing the hinge/broken strut assembly last night I think I opened my cabinet seven or eight times last night just to smile at the simplicity and ease of it with the replacement hinges.

Then I thought - maybe the struts are used because they really hold the cabinet door *shut*, too.  The replacement hinges have a bit of pressure and the door (even if it wasn't vertical) is held shut.  But it doesn't take a lot of force to open, and I had replaced both hinges on the single door.  

Anyone have any issues with these replacement hinges causing the doors to fly open when driving down the road? (or rather, items shifting from road vibration inside the cabinet pushing the doors open?)

2018 T@B Max S silver and black (aka TadT@B), Full-timing since July 2017

• Options
    Tabaz Tabaz Member Posts: 2,357
    There is a small lip at the bottom/front of each cabinet.  This tends to keep things from hitting the cabinet door.  I have one flip-up hinge per door and have not had any problems with them opening during travel.  If this is a worry for you, simply install those small magnetic catches on the door.
    2016 Outback 320 with a 2010 Ford Expedition.
  • Options
    HR_TalyHR_Taly Member Posts: 119
    @Tabaz that's a great idea.  I figured with all of us that have done this over the years that if it was a problem, someone would have said!  But I actually love the little magnetic idea for extra security. :)

2018 T@B Max S silver and black (aka TadT@B), Full-timing since July 2017

• Options
    KBaggins1KBaggins1 Member Posts: 135
    We have never had an upper cabinet fly open on the road using the replacement hinges. As mentioned above the lower lip stops things from hitting the doors but the hinges do a good job keeping the doors closed. 
    2014 T@B M@XS;  2017 Ford Transit Low Roof, Reg. Wheel Base
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    Spring loaded hinges are marvelous!  Thanks for the above link. 

One hinge per door door and no more holding the cabinet door open with my head ;)
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
     =)@Verna, You're JUST now gettin' to the hinges?? You could have replaced at least one while you were watchin' the Hoosiers! :rofl: Seriously though, one of the best mods I've done other than the single dump. ;)
    Spokane, Wa.

• Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    @ericnliz, my spring hinges were fine until recently and a couple of bruised knuckles was enough to remind me to order these hinges. No more bruised knuckles ;)
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    I tried to find these locally, but have struck out so far.  I may have to pay too much, and order on Amazon.ca
  • Options
    @rkj__, I thought the same about the price.....however, the convenience of having them stay open was worth every penny! You'll wonder why you didn't do it sooner.  ;)  
    Spokane, Wa.

• Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    I have some of those hinges waiting to install. Thanks for letting me know that you only need 1 per door!

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    @jkjenn, I was a little skeptical about using only one per door myself, so I installed only one on the first door, tried it & SURPRISE worked quite well. ;)
    Spokane, Wa.

• Options
    ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    @TabberJohn,  your magnet idea is excellent! I've installed the Amerock hinges, but might just add the magnets for those times I'd like the doors full up. The magnets are so tiny, they don't look bad on the ceiling there.

I used those nice rare earth magnets to hold the toilet seat cover up, when the Tab isn't quite level enough to do it itself. However, I've had a little problem getting glue to stick to the ultra smooth magnet surface. What kind of glue did you use?
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    @ChanW, Have you tried contact cement...the rubber based stuff that sticks to itself? I've had good luck gluing two metal pieces with it before. The other good feature to it is that it's not that difficult to remove if you have an OOPS! =)
    Spokane, Wa.

• Options
    JimEngelJimEngel Member Posts: 45
    I replaced the brass pulls with steel pulls and attached magnets on the ceiling, works like a charm.
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01DBJIPWQ/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1
  • Options
    KBaggins1KBaggins1 Member Posts: 135
    For fellow Canadian T@B owners if you look at the first post in the thread you should be able to find the part# to buy these hinges at Home Hardware. That is where we found them.
    2014 T@B M@XS;  2017 Ford Transit Low Roof, Reg. Wheel Base
  • Options
    TabberJohnTabberJohn Member Posts: 588
    ChanW said:
    @TabberJohn,  your magnet idea is excellent! I've installed the Amerock hinges, but might just add the magnets for those times I'd like the doors full up. The magnets are so tiny, they don't look bad on the ceiling there.

I used those nice rare earth magnets to hold the toilet seat cover up, when the Tab isn't quite level enough to do it itself. However, I've had a little problem getting glue to stick to the ultra smooth magnet surface. What kind of glue did you use?

Locktite Super Glue/Ultra Gel Control

I thought of another idea for those with a woodworking skills and time to kill.
    Remove the door, remove the pull, fill in the hole, use a router to cut a finger pull on inside bottom lip of the door, reinstall the door, then superglue the rare earth magnets to ceiling and edge of door where it meets the ceiling. Then the door would lift nearly flush to the ceiling with a small gap to pull it down.

2015 T@B Max S (White/Silver) -> 2014 Ford Escape 2.0L (turbo, AWD, factory tow)
  • Options
    bmetinCObmetinCO Member Posts: 15
    edited March 2018
    I ordered the one listed from Amazon but it didn't seem to do any better than the stock one.  The stock one is on the bottom and has a large spring in it.  The Amazon is on top.  Am I missing something or did I order the wrong one.  It fit great but didn't keep the cabinet open any better than the stock ones.  They were the Amerock BP2811J2314
    (Working on attaching the pic) 
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/v0SHV414BeRr1S5t2
  • Options
    jritchey3jritchey3 Member Posts: 16
    Does anyone know if these hinges work on the Dutchmen T@Bs?  I have 2007 Queen.
  • Options
    edited April 2018
    bmetinCO said:
    I ordered the one listed from Amazon but it didn't seem to do any better than the stock one.  The stock one is on the bottom and has a large spring in it.  The Amazon is on top.  Am I missing something or did I order the wrong one.  It fit great but didn't keep the cabinet open any better than the stock ones.  They were the Amerock BP2811J2314
    (Working on attaching the pic) 
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/v0SHV414BeRr1S5t2
    I did not find these hinges at the first Home Hardware I checked, but I looked at another nearby Home Hardware, and picked up two pairs. 

I installed one on each door, and they worked perfectly for me. I’m very happy I saw this thread, and made the upgrade. We use those cabinets a lot, and now they are far more convenient.

You got the part number right bmetinCO. 
  • Options
    leenscottflleenscottfl Member Posts: 254
    Just dropped one hinge per door and was amazed. One of those super easy projects with great results. Many thanks to all of you who led the way. 
    Scott, Orange Park, Florida...2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara... 2015 T@B S Maxx "Buttercup".