Options

T@b Visor Tips and Tricks?

BigGroverBigGrover Member Posts: 450
edited March 2018 in Products and Accessories
Took our 400 out for the weekend and first use of the new Visor.  Winds were 7 to 8 mph and it kept flipping the visor up.  We ran the lines to the lower keder rails as instructed but tge quartering wind would cause the visor to shift in the keder rail and the guy lines would also shift to the side allowing the visor to flip up.  Looks like the only fix would be to anchor the guylines to weights or tent stakes?  Anyone else experienced this or have suggestions? Here's a pic before the wind.  Had to take it off when the wind started.
BigGrover
2019 T@b 400 Boondock Lite
2018 Ram 1500 Quad Cab Hemi
Central Alabama

Comments

• Options
    Here's a pic
    BigGrover
    Central Alabama
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    I use ratchet straps going to tent pegs in the ground directly below the nylon loop holding the guy lines. Or I use water jugs if I can’t use tent pegs. 

The ratchet straps going directly to the ground keep the visor from flipping over the top. I have never used the guy lines to the lower keder rail as two attachments per nylon loop are not needed. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    DalehelmanDalehelman Member Posts: 2,410
    Verna said:
    I use ratchet straps going to tent pegs in the ground directly below the nylon loop holding the guy lines. Or I use water jugs if I can’t use tent pegs. 

The ratchet straps going directly to the ground keep the visor from flipping over the top. I have never used the guy lines to the lower keder rail as two attachments per nylon loop are not needed. 
    X2
    1. Hash  T@B Fun
  • Options
    pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,668
    X3.  I also carry a painter's pole to support the awning to keep it from being pushed down by the wind.  I use just a regular 2 inch metal clamp to keep the pole in place against the edge of the awning. 

If the wind is light, I sometimes connect just a regular tent guy line somewhere along the edge of the awning with some of these Shark Tarp Clips.  (There are many different kinds of these).

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0066K529W/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

In the desert, all these strategies are necessary to keep the awning from flailing around in strong winds. 

2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
  • Options
    Thanks all, when using water containers what size do you use?
    BigGrover
    Central Alabama
  • Options
    @BigGrover, I used two 4-gallon Reliance jugs this summer when Camp Hosting on an asphalt parking lot. I never had to take it down due to wind this summer since the water jugs held it so well. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    newellnewell Member Posts: 182
    You'll be surprised how much more room you have in your patio area too.  Attaching to the keder rail in my opinion is a nice idea but not practical. 

Earl & Sue | Central NY |
    2017 T@B 320S | TV: Chevy Silverado
  • Options
    monamona Member Posts: 241
    Verna, what length tarp straps, do you use? 
    I’ve had success with using 2 one gallon water jugs as weights. 
    2015 T@b S Max  white with silver trim. 2018 GC Trailhawk. 
  • Options
    Oops. That was supposed to be ratchet straps. 
  • Options
    @mona, I used 6’ red ones from Walmart.  They aren’t heavy duty and really don’t need to be.  

I was on a hill overlooking a lake, with plenty of breezes, so I didn’t want to take any chances on damaging the visor, hence the two 4 gallon jugs.
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    Thanks!
  • Options
    JeffrhoJeffrho Member Posts: 11
    Looking Good BigGrover, Roll Tide!. Loved camping at Lake Lurleen  while attending Alabama Football Games for the past 4 years.  Ratchet straps and sand bags or jugs for us too. 
    T@BOO TIKKI 2006 Clamshell 
    T.V. 2011 Sprinter
    T@B 400 White with Graphic Delete.
  • Options
    MouseketabMouseketab Member Posts: 1,230
    BigGrover said:
    Took our 400 out for the weekend and first use of the new Visor.  Winds were 7 to 8 mph and it kept flipping the visor up.  We ran the lines to the lower keder rails as instructed but tge quartering wind would cause the visor to shift in the keder rail and the guy lines would also shift to the side allowing the visor to flip up.  Looks like the only fix would be to anchor the guylines to weights or tent stakes?  Anyone else experienced this or have suggestions? Here's a pic before the wind.  Had to take it off when the wind started.
    First suggestion, change that rug to a Blue and Orange one :) LOL

I have always staked my visor lines out. (I don't have a lower Keder Rail, but it stays put when staked out).

Carol
    MOUSE-KE-T@B
    2007 Dutchmen T@B Clamshell #2741
    2022 nuCamp T@B 320 CS-S
    2021 F-150 502A Lariat SuperCrew, 3.5 EcoBoost 4x2
    Harvest, AL
  • Options
    jcnagyjcnagy Member Posts: 2
    I had the same problem and I now use some tent poles and stakes.  Our awning has now held up against several thunderstorms no problem ...see pic.  Note the tie down ropes while hard to make out in the picture are staked away from the camper. Those ropes wrap around the top of tent poles which are hold ontp the awning by clamps I bought at Lowes and then those ropes are staked into the ground away from the camper ...hope this helps.
    John in Birmingham, ALabama
  • Options
    GibWGibW Member Posts: 95
    We stake out the visor. Helps steady it even in strong winds. 
    2017 T@B Max-S, silver & silver, towed by a Titanium Silver 2018 Kia Sorento AWD V-6, Twin Cities MN
  • Options
    Thanks all, when using water containers what size do you use?
    BigGrover
    Central Alabama
  • Options
    I have two five gallon buckets with Gamma seal lids.  I store my fresh water hose, filter and pressure recucer in one while not camping. The other has levelin blocks.  I fill them about 2/3 full with h2o at the site.
    BigGrover
    Central Alabama
  • Options
    Tabaz Tabaz Member Posts: 2,357
    Two five gallon jerry cans with Harbor Freight straps.  Works great.

2016 Outback 320 with a 2010 Ford Expedition.
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    jcnagy said:
    I had the same problem and I now use some tent poles and stakes.  Our awning has now held up against several thunderstorms no problem ...see pic.  Note the tie down ropes while hard to make out in the picture are staked away from the camper. Those ropes wrap around the top of tent poles which are hold ontp the awning by clamps I bought at Lowes and then those ropes are staked into the ground away from the camper ...hope this helps.
    John in Birmingham, ALabama
    This looks like you might have it upside down. Is that possible?

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options

Here's mine with the buckets.  Just use rope to the handles and tie a trucker's hitch.
    BigGrover
    Central Alabama