Options

Just bought a 400 - Looking for storage solutions

Hi everyone, I just joined the forum this week. My spouse and I are the proud owners of a 2015 t@b CSS for over 2 years now. We love our t@b, but Recently we decided that we need more space to travel with our 2 pit bulls. I looked at other options out there but there just seems to be nothing that matches the quality of our t@b. We went to look at the 400 at Haydocy last weekend and we loved it so much we have decided to trade in our CSS and upgrade.

Dealer is adding the inverter and solar hookup for us and we hope to pick her up this weekend. We decided against the solar panels for now. I’m wondering if any of you that have the 400 would be willing to share your storage container ideas? Would anyone be willing to share photos? We are very excited about having the extra space and we cannot wait to pick up our 400!

Comments

• Options
    BigGroverBigGrover Member Posts: 450
    We just got ours and ste trying to figure it out too. Tabfortwo posted some pics of shelves he put in his closet.  They appear to really maximize the use of the space.  I hope to put some in mine too. Until then I am using a hanging closet organizer.
    BigGrover
    2019 T@b 400 Boondock Lite
    2018 Ram 1500 Quad Cab Hemi
    Central Alabama
  • Options
    WillieontheRoadWillieontheRoad Member Posts: 34
    edited February 2018
    I was trying to figure out what kind of storage bins might fit in that outside door that opens to storage under the bed.  My solution was to purchase two plastic window planters that I found at Lowes garden dept.  They carry ones that are 23in. and 36in. long 7in.H 8in. W.  Now I can fill them with those smaller items that would get scattered around the storage space.  Two of these fit in the storage space with room for other goodies.  And, the planters can slide in and out so I'll be able to easily find what I need.

While you are shopping, pick up an empty 5gal. paint bucket.  One of these will fit perfectly next to your propane tank for hoses, electric cord, etc.  This is not my original idea.  Came to me from skwhee.

2018 T@B 400  Jeep GC
    Alan & Joan Fisher
    Austin, TX
  • Options
    SeanandChrisSeanandChris Member Posts: 6
    Thanks for the ideas @WillieontheRoad. I opened up the tub up front and noticed there is quite a bit of space in there. I have a few extra 5 gallon buckets and will put one in there for sure. That bin at the bottom of the door looks a bit small to me to use as a trash can. Have either of you slept on the dinette up front? I’m hoping it is comfortable as I have a feeling that the dogs and or spouse will kick me out of the bed in the back. 

They didn’t yet have the spare mounted up front while we were looking at. How is the clearance under that tire? It looks like it sits pretty low in the pictures I have seen. I’m wondering if I’ll have to find another solution for it. Our spare on our css sat too low so I moved it up to the tongue jack.
  • Options
    TabfortwoTabfortwo Member Posts: 157
    We took out the hanging closet and installed four shelves that cover the entire surface area. 
  • Options
    KRGKRG Member Posts: 15
    edited March 2018
    I found collapsible crates at Walmart. Two fit under the bed perfectly. I still have room to store things when I open the outside storage door.   The other collapsable crate holds things I need to take from home to camper and back again. That crate gets collapsed when not in use. 
  • Options
    HomebodyatheartHomebodyatheart Member Posts: 2,494
    @SeanandChris you might consider drilling a few holes in the bucket bottom for drainage. The bucket is a nice option to have!
    2017 T@B 320 Max S silver and cherry red, L@dybug ("Bug" aka my esc@pe pod), TV 2015 Toyota Highlander aka Big Red
  • Options
    pingncpingnc Member Posts: 25
    We have used the front berth but the table is a hassle to get 'clipped in' when you are lowering it... plus it is substantial (heavy)... you can put the back rest cushions under the lowered table while you sleep.  Try it before you need it... practice :>) We did over 10,000 miles right after getting ours and had no issues with the spare tire... YMMV
    2018 T@B 400 (P@t's Condo), Silver and Black, TV 2017 GMC Sierra 1500 CrewCab, Phil & Pat in Waynesville, NC
  • Options
    SeanandChrisSeanandChris Member Posts: 6
    For those that are using the 5 gallon bucket in the front tub, how are you securing it? I stuck a Home Depot bucket in the front tub but I’m concerned it might bump against the propane regulator during travel and damage it. Are you just using bungee cords?
  • Options
    gooddogs74gooddogs74 Member Posts: 76
    edited March 2018
    @SeanandChris I just shoved the bucket in there.  It is a tight fit and doesn't seem to move.  
    2018 T@b 400
  • Options
    Tabmann400Tabmann400 Member Posts: 22
    I joined the forum today.  We took delivery of our Tab 400 on 4/9/2018.  Went through PDI with dealer's tech with limited know-how on Tab's electronic appliances.  Overall, we are very happy and excited to have our Tab. First time RVer, first time towing a trailer camper.  Went through a storm during the last hour of a 4-hour trip back to our house.  Wow, what a first day on the road!  Looking forward to learning from the Tab community. We registered for the nuCamp 18 Rally in July in Sugarcreek, OH.  
    Manny & Anne, from northeast Florida,  2018 Tab 400,  Silver with black trim, towed by 2017 Ram 1500
  • Options
    Brett_HoneycuttBrett_Honeycutt Member Posts: 12
    welcome to the Tab family.  we just took our 4th short trip in our 400 (our first RV) sense we got it at the end of December.  i suggest a few overnight trips close to home before heading out for longer.  our first two one nighters, it was still winterized, so we just camped in it. the third trip, we got the plumbing working, but IDLE system wasn't working.  it turned out that we blew a fuse.  the fourth, the IDLE system worked, but we ran the water low. After filling up, the pump wouldn't self prime.  so, to date, we have not had full use of the camper.  we did change the fuse and i figured out (with help from this forum) the pump issue this morning.  even with the hiccups so far, we are very excited about this years travels.
    T@b 400, Nissan Frontier
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,489
    Brett, sounds like your Alde was idle!
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio