Options

Is this for bugs?

gooddogs74gooddogs74 Member Posts: 76
I noticed on my front and back window in my 400 I have this brush stuff along the windows.   It is not on the kitchen window.   Is it designed to help keep bugs out?   And if so,  why is it only on 2 windows?   
2018 T@b 400

Comments

• Options
    jgram2jgram2 Member Posts: 1,522
    John, Judi, Guinness & OD in PDX
    T@Bit@t 2015 S Max Outback, ‘18 V6 4Runner 

• Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    Is it there to prevent leaks?

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    Think it's bug prevention. Maybe the front window was a different window model? Maybe they forgot to put the brush stuff in?
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    robptrobpt Member Posts: 90
    There is the same arrangement in my 400..... not sure of the purpose. In my old Cirrus truck camper, there was a stargazer window sitting horizontally I'm guessing the same size as the front 400 horizontal window (probably the same window as most of the components seem to be the same.)  There wasn't any "fuzzy" stuff lining any of the windows in the old Cirrus and I don't recall problems about bugs getting in. 

It would be interesting to find out if the prototype 400s lacked this stuff and it was added later because of problems discovered with the layout of this window and it's location. Like maybe.... Because of the window's increased surface area and location it became an ant magnet for them trying to find entry to all the snack material they smelled just beyond (or in) the bed compartment. That would be a rude awakening!
    North Florida T@B 400 towed by a 2014 Nissan Frontier
  • Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,426
    Yes, that looks like "insect brush." You often see it on things like sliding screen doors in order to close up gaps between the door and the frame while still allowing the door to slide easily.

I assume your photo shows the track in which the accordion-style screen runs. Those screens are notorious for allowing no-see-ums around the edges. If the brush actually works without damaging the screens I might look into retrofitting the tracks in my 320.
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    ericnlizericnliz Member Posts: 4,437
    No bug brushes in my windows....I just take along my electric bug zappin' tennis racket!  =) Free entertainment, just take spare batteries! :rofl:
    2016 T@B MAX S-aka: WolfT@B
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.
    Eric aka: Lone Wolf  

• Options
    HR_TalyHR_Taly Member Posts: 119
    ericnliz said:
    No bug brushes in my windows....I just take along my electric bug zappin' tennis racket!  =) Free entertainment, just take spare batteries! :rofl:
    Do you know, those rackets are my most favourite thing ever!  Especially when I'm on the East Coast.  My original one (given to me as a gift) used to make a very satisfying *ZAP/BANG* sound when whacking an insect.  Unfortunately the replacement I have from Harbor Freight no longer makes such fun sounds but still zaps 'em good.  Truly a must have.  I consider it one of my favourite "mods"!  =)

2018 T@B Max S silver and black (aka TadT@B), Full-timing since July 2017

• Options
    gooddogs74gooddogs74 Member Posts: 76
    edited March 2018
    Interesting.  The kitchen window is smaller than the front window, but still pretty good sized.  Not sure why it would be left off only one if it was for bugs.  Maybe something to do with the propane gas near it?  
    2018 T@b 400
  • Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,426
    ericnliz said:
    Yeah ericnliz, where were you when I needed you last June in the Adirondacks?! That woulda' been quite a show watching you try to run down approximately ten billion no-see-ums with your little tennis racket. (And I'm just talkin' about the bugs in my T@B!)  ;-)
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    ericnlizericnliz Member Posts: 4,437
    @ScottG, HA! All 'ya have to do is sit there & wave it back & forth. If 'ya turn the lights off it's a free zap, snap & light show. (Especially if one gets stuck in the racket part...then it just kinda sizzles!) =)
    2016 T@B MAX S-aka: WolfT@B
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.
    Eric aka: Lone Wolf