Mosquito fix for t@b windows

KferKfer Member Posts: 15
Has anyone received the nucamp fix for t@b windows?  The brush rail kits are out of stock and I saw some “weatherstripping fuzz” in the hardware store.  I am wondering if someone can tell me the dimension of the brushes?  I might try a temporary fix as we will be heading out to a camping area in the next few days that usually has lots of mosquitos.  Thanks

Comments

• RollingBnBRollingBnB Member Posts: 322
    Has anyone gotten the screen fix from Nucamp in the mail yet? Summer is approaching fast and the bugs are hungry here.

2020 Tiffin Open Road
    2020 Nissan Versa Toad 
    Alan & Patty
    Southern Az
  • VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    edited April 2018
    Someone on the T@G forum has already completed their mod. Be sure to read their comments about the screw and how not to have to restring the blinds. 

http://teardrop-trailers.vanillacommunity.com/discussion/222/window-screen-fix
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • HomebodyatheartHomebodyatheart Member Posts: 2,491
    @Verna thanks for this link! I had flying uninvited visitors last summer off and on. I was going to use plumbing pipe insulation jammed in then removed, but I like this fix much better!
    2017 T@B 320 Max S silver and cherry red, L@dybug ("Bug" aka my esc@pe pod), TV 2015 Toyota Highlander aka Big Red
    Yea but, has anyone actually got one yet from Nucamp. I called the day Scott said they had a fix, still waiting on  the parts. Just curious.
    2020 Tiffin Open Road
    2020 Nissan Versa Toad 
    Alan & Patty
    Southern Az
  • atlasbatlasb Member Posts: 583
    Does this mod apply to the 400 also?
    2018 T@B 400, 2017 Nissan Titan Crew cab
    @atlasb, call nüCamp to see. I do not know when, or if, the window/blind manufacturer has started putting the part in the new T@B’s or T@G’s windows.
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • kybobkybob Member Posts: 232
    Is this something on a recall? It is the first I've heard of it. We had a major mosquito problem in Florida in December in our new Outback. We even had a little frog get it!
    2018 Outback S, Silver/Black - 2015 Silver Honda Pilot 4WD - Florence, KY

@kybob, it’s not a recall, but nüCamp will send you the necessary material if you contact them. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • kybobkybob Member Posts: 232
    Thank you Verna. We will be at the plant next month. I'll pick it up then. 
    2018 Outback S, Silver/Black - 2015 Silver Honda Pilot 4WD - Florence, KY

• rkj__rkj__ Member Posts: 641
    This is the first I’ve heard of these brushes. Thanks for the info. I will need to do this upgrade, or something else, or else I will get eaten alive. 
    2016 T@b 320 CS-S - 2018 GMC Sierra - St. Catharines, Ontario, Canada
  • clsjjsclsjjs Member Posts: 4
    Not sure if we needed to do this or not but decided to email them and ask for the part before it became an issue. They said they were shipping it right out with a very fast reply, I was impressed. Thank you Verna for sharing the link.
    Craig and Joanne, Southern Maryland
    2017 T@B Max S Outback (W@y@); TV 2010 Subaru Outback
    States Visited Map
  • 4ncar4ncar Member Posts: 1,072
    edited April 2018
    I just completed the fix. A few items of note: 1) the front kitchen window of my 320S already had the bug fuzz. Elsie may ask you to check for this.2) Do not remove the white string from the set screw! There is no need, instead, remove the entire barrel that the set screw threads into. This can be accomplished by gently prying it from the plastic frame.it was much easier. 3) on my 320S boondock, the driverside screen had to be completed in place.  The shelf unit was installed AFTER the window screen, thus requiring the removal of the AC box & shelf just to get to the top two screws holding the window screen in place. 4) before the brush can be installed in the slot(s) the factory installed spacer needs to be removed from the same slot.  It is a piece of window shade that has been inserted into the slot, just pull it out.  Again, I found this in my 2018 320s boondock.  Other years/models may not have it.

this was a bit tricky to do. Basic tools required, but patience is a must!

TV- '16 Chevy Colorado LT Crew Cab-DuraMax
    2018 320S Outback
  • ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,395
    I received the kit this week. Brush was provided for the side windows, but a strip of soft self-adhesive foam was provided for the front window.

No explanation was provided, but I surmise that the brush, because it is not flexible side-to-side, will not fit easily in the slots of the curved front window.

I'm not sure if the foam will be more or less effective than the brush. For that matter, I'm not sure if either approach will really solve the problem when the midgies are thick, but they certainly can't hurt. I'll give 'em both a try and report back after my first early-season trip to bug country.
    2015 T@B S
    edited April 2018
    @ScottG I think the foam is for the space between the frame and curved wall of the trailer. They have a slightly different curve so the bugs could just crawl in thru the space. The foam I got was unable to peel the paper off so I went and bought a roll.

2020 Tiffin Open Road
    2020 Nissan Versa Toad 
    Alan & Patty
    Southern Az
    You might be right @RollingBnB--the directions were not immediately clear and I didn't spend much time trying to decipher them.

I'm not sure if I got enough brush to do all three windows. I hope so, even if I have to clip or otherwise modify the backing to fit the curve in the front window. It's not going to help much to to only plug 2/3rds of the gaps...
    2015 T@B S
  • jgram2jgram2 Member Posts: 1,522
    Well @ScottG, it would make it easier to “head em off at the pass”, especially if you stood by, ever vigilant, with your battery powered vacuum.
    John, Judi, Guinness & OD in PDX
    T@Bit@t 2015 S Max Outback, ‘18 V6 4Runner 

I just went out for a closer look. I see the big gaposis @RollingBnB mentioned--can't believe I never noticed that before!

It also looks like there may be just enough brush to fill all six window edges. Once T@bby is fully out of hibernation I'll do the install and report back. Hopefully I can avoid adding the battery powered vac to the gear collection...
    2015 T@B S
    @ScottG Elsie sent me "two kits" as my front window didn't require the mod(window manuf. has upfitted curved windows).  Even though I only received 2 kits, in the end, I have enough "bug fuzz" to complete a 3rd standard window.  I would suspect you have enough...?
    2018 320S Outback
    I only got one box with a single long roll of fuzz and a single shorter roll of foam.

Interesting that you already had the fuzz on your front window but not the sides. My 2015 had nada.
    2015 T@B S
    ScottG said:
    I only got one box with a single long roll of fuzz and a single shorter roll of foam.

Interesting that you already had the fuzz on your front window but not the sides. My 2015 had nada.

1 Box has enough to complete 1 1/2 windows! lol.  Yes, interesting that the front curved window had been upfitted by the manuf. but not the side flat windows.  I would suspect that the flat windows will be upfitted by the manuf. in coming model years...maybe 2019?
    2018 320S Outback
  • Silver320Silver320 Member Posts: 30
    @4ncar can you please elaborate on your point #3, "completed in place".   Received my kit yesterday and would be interested in hearing pointers on installing the fuzz without taking the frame off.  Seems like that might make even the passenger side install simpler but maybe not.  
    2017 T@B Max S (Silver-Silver), TV 2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
    States Visited Map
    Silver320 said:
    @4ncar can you please elaborate on your point #3, "completed in place".   Received my kit yesterday and would be interested in hearing pointers on installing the fuzz without taking the frame off.  Seems like that might make even the passenger side install simpler but maybe not.  
    Indeed, it was a tad simpler, although had to lay on my back to see...

the black cord cord is on the bottom, so...

1) removed bottom mounting screws(with square head driver)
    2) “popped” black cord & set screw from window frame
    3) removed Phillips head screw that holds frame together.

at this point, gently separate the corner piece only enough to allow space for bug fuzz to be installed without getting all buggered in the screen edges and enough only to expose the slot where the bug fuzz actually goes.  Too much, and you run the risk of the cords becoming unseated from their respective rollers.

4) remove factory installed “spacer” that is in the slot.
    5) measure, cut & insert bug fuzz.
    6) reinstall corner piece to vertical & horizontal frame pieces.
    7)reinstall black cord/setbscrew lug into window frame.  A gentle yet firm hand is all that is needed.
    8) re attach frame to wall!

repeat on the other side of frame, then move onto the other window.

it is easier then removing the entire unit, etc...I unfortunately started  with the passenger side before realizing that I had to deal with the driverside, as I had described.
    2018 320S Outback
    edited April 2018
    Ok, so I decided to take a look at this. 

First off, the front window has massive gaps, all the way around the frame.  I was not sent nearly enough foam strip to seal that off, so I decided to leave the front window as is for now.  Am I missing something here?

Anyway, I shifted my focus to the side windows.  I really did not want to take the window frames off, or apart.  I hoped I could just "stuff" the rail brushes (aka "bug fuzz") in place.  It turns out, I could. 

1.  I started by popping off the corner pieces on one side, to clearly see how long I needed to cut my piece.  I then cut the brush to length, using household scissors. 

2.  I inserted the top corner of the plastic base of the brush into the slot. 

I then slid that top corner to near the top of the slot.  I then used the tip of the scissors, to push in the other top corner of the brush base into the slot, pushing on the plastic base, not the brush bristles.  You may wish to use another tool, like a flat head screw driver.  I worked my way down a few inches, pushing the base of the brush into the slot with the tip of the scissors.  Click click click as it pops into place.   

3.  Using my fingers to grip the brush bristles, I slid the top of the brush all the way up into the slot.

4.  I then repeated the procedure at the bottom end of the brush, being careful to not push the white or black cord into the slot. 

5.  I continued to work the base of the brush into the slot, finishing near the middle of the brush. 

6.  Finally, I tested the screen and shade operation.  Everything still slid smoothly.  The only change I noticed was that on the one window, the friction of the brush caused the screen to not accordion perfectly uniformly at the top.  It can be straightened out in just a couple seconds if desired.

7.  The end result is that bugs will indeed have to work a little harder to get though.  Will it be completely bug proof?  I'm not sure, but it will certainly be better.  I suspect it will defend against mosquitoes pretty well, but smaller pests found in some areas might still find a way.  Time will tell.

I am not necessarily endorsing this installation method, or suggesting you do it the same way.  I am simply sharing what I did.  I encourage you to use your own good judgement before choosing your approach.
    It seems to me the key will be the positioning of the brush once it's in place. It needs to far enough to the outside to catch the outermost crease in the screen. If the no-see-ums can still get behind that first crease, all bets are off.

I'm not yet giving up on my plan A to replace the screens entirely with something more functional. Once bitten, twice shy applies here--ha ha.

@RollingBnB, @4ncar, and @rkj__, thanks again for your input and I await your reports from the field!
    2015 T@B S
    There is more then one way to skin a cat, that’s for sure!! :)
    2018 320S Outback
  • duckblind123duckblind123 Member Posts: 61
    Are the materials for this fix sent out free or something we would need to pay for from nucamp?

Marc & Janet
    2016 T@B Max S - 2017 Honda Pilot - Winchester,VA

Free!! =)
    2018 320S Outback
    My box came to Canada free, and pretty quick too. 
  • Silver320Silver320 Member Posts: 30
    @4ncar and @rkj__ thank you for sharing your approaches and leading the way.  Both sound like better alternatives than removing the frame.   Now just need to find time to do my own.

2017 T@B Max S (Silver-Silver), TV 2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
    States Visited Map
    @Silver320. Takes about an hour. Maybe 1 1/2 if beer is involved!;)
    2018 320S Outback