Options

11 gallons fresh water, I want that!

RadRad Member Posts: 516
The Vegas dealer web page listed the Outback as having 11gallon fresh water tank.  I want that, Val and I use up 5 gallons like it was........well, water!

Is the greater capacity a result of more room under the t@b due to the increased ride height?

Comments

• Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    They added it to new T@bs mid-year last year. My T@b is still a 5 gallon tank. I am torn about the upgrade. Now, I side, it runs less of a risk of freezing.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    Mine is a 2015, it must be a prior to mid year build.  I wonder what the upgrade would cost.  And, I better crawl under mine and confirm I'm eating up only 5 gallons in a hurry and not 10,
  • Options
    DABWCADABWCA Member Posts: 70
    Keep in mind that even an 11 gallon tank isn't all that much. Before Federal legislation in 1992, a typical home toilet used 5 gallons for a single flush -- some as much as 7.
    David -- Saint Paul, MN
    2015 T@B-L "Silver Dr@ggin" towed by 2015 Kia Sorento V6 "Don Poulan"
  • Options
    mawebbmawebb Member Posts: 257
    The five gallon tank is inside, under the sink on the S model. The tank can easily be seen in the cupboard below the sink. When they went to the eleven gallon tank, it was mounted roughly in the same relative area, but outside, under the trailer. The upside is its bigger and does not take away from storage under the sink, but on the negative side, it's exposed to the elements and can freeze.  The tank is also exposed to road hazards, although I think it's out of the way enough to be as secure as the gray and black water holding tanks. I think its the shower that is the potential biggest consumer of water. You can be very conservative when flushing the toilet and some folks save the dishwashing water to use when flushing the toilet. 
    Martin - Trailer name: James T@Berius Kirk 
  • Options
    mawebb said:
    The five gallon tank is inside, under the sink on the S model. The tank can easily be seen in the cupboard below the sink

• Options
    edited March 2015
    Mmmmmmm, no water tank under my sink.  I thnk this means Val and I are water hogs
  • Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    I have the external and it is located in front of the axel on the passenger side. The drain valve is right behind the left side of the door step. I like the extra gallons and the fact it frees up storage under the sink but since it's external, I had to delay using it for a couple of months as I was in still in freezing night time temps till I got far enough south.
  • Options
    jcfaber1jcfaber1 Member Posts: 318
    I added a 10 gallon tank underneath our 07.  It is great to have.  There is a person on the Yahoo forum with great photos of the upgrade.  I could elaborate if there is interest.
    John

2007 T@B

Rockford, IL

• Options
    gilbutlergilbutler Member Posts: 169
    My 2015 M@X CS has the fresh water tank under the stove, next to the refrigerator. As close as I can measure, it is a 10 gallon tank. One end is visible behind a cabinet door, with the longer side behind a wood divider. It's easy to check the level visually, and it's not directly exposed to the weather.  I've been happy with it (and the entire product) during our first six trips.
    Gil Butler, Folsom, CA, 2015 T@B M@XX CS - White with Yellow tim
  • Options
    wizard1880wizard1880 Member Posts: 442
    We have the same under stove tank in our 2014 CS Max, but it only holds 8 gallons
    T@@bulous
    2014 T@B CS Maxx
    TV: 2015 Audi Q7 3.0 V6 TDI (diesel)
    Martha Lake, WA
  • Options
    WrossWross Member Posts: 19
    My goal is to move to the under floor tank for two reasons
    1 to get the cabinet space inside
    2 to increase the capacity 
    we have a 5 gallon and no cabinet space...

if anyone (jcfaber1) can point me to where I can buy a tank I'd appreci it 
  • Options
    TABakerTABaker Member Posts: 432
    I have a 2007 so have an internal 5-gallon removable tank, and I don't even fill it full.  I prefer to travel with it half full.  It's so easy to add water that I do that once I'm at the campground.  If I was boondocking, then I obviously could carry additional water.
    Crystal & Daisy, a yellow 2007 T@B Q previously towed by a 2008 Jeep Liberty, and currently towed by a 2016 RAM 1500.

• Options
    I will look up the model number and get it to you.  You will also need to figure out how to fill/ vent.  The tank  was under $100 including shipping.  I also like not having condensing water on the cabinet shelf on colder nights.  I do not have time today but will get back to you.

2007 T@B

Rockford, IL

• Options

Ok. here is the link:

http://www.customroto.com/rvtank.asp?ID=293

The person I spoke with is:

David May

Custom Roto-Molding

Phone: 208-459-1944

Fax: 208-459-1890

I purchased tank W-431but with hindsight being 20/20 I think W-33 would have been an easier choice from mounting standpoint I would have also changed the openings on the water tank a bit.  I have inserted the file from the Yahoo forum for your reference where Peter Buck gave me many ideas used in my mods. 

I used 2" by 1/4 angled aluminum to mount my tank to the frame.  Our tab is a 2007 Dutchman.  My water project was part of a larger modification where I moved the AGM batteries to the wheel well in a vented box.  Then I added a wooden small box in front of the battery/propane carrier.  This wooden box has the gravity water feed and city water connections.  In the battery/propane compartment I installed a larger water pump, and tankless water heater.  In that battery compartment there are bypass valves for the hot to direct to the outdoor shower or to the inside of the tab.  there is also a bypass valve for the city water or the water tank.  I replaced the faucet in the tab too.  If there is further interest, I should create a different thread to discuss in more detail.

Have fun!

John

2007 T@B

Rockford, IL

• Options
    ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    Does anyone know if LG will sell/ship their new 10gal tank for people to retrofit on a 2014 model? Seems it would be a fairly simple plumbing modification.
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    ChanW said:
    Does anyone know if LG will sell/ship their new 10gal tank for people to retrofit on a 2014 model? Seems it would be a fairly simple plumbing modification.
    Call Elsie in the Pleasant Valley office. She'll be able to tell you the price and get you any other info you need. The phone number is on the right under contact numbers. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    Thanks Verna, I'll check it out and see what the price will be.
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    Patti said:
    jcfaber1 said:
    I added a 10 gallon tank underneath our 07.  It is great to have.  There is a person on the Yahoo forum with great photos of the upgrade.  I could elaborate if there is interest.
    John

This is good to know and I may come back for the details. We're looking at a new T@B that according to the website is only 5 gallons. The price is good enough to do it even though we'd rather have the larger, of course. Did you take out the 5 gallon?
    I think all the new t@bs have 11 gallon fresh water tanks.  My 2015 has 11.......as I found out here.
  • Options
    Mine to - I was surprised when it came in as was my dealer - was expecting 5.
    I'm so miserly with water that I could actually probably get by with 5 (and my 5 extra I carry) between fills.
  • Options
    My dealer didn't know they had changed until I asked where the fresh water drain was - with 5gal it was in the front driver's side corner. With the 11 it's to the left of the step.
  • Options
    Patti, I did pull out the little 5 gallon jug, the original faucet and water pump. 

2007 T@B

Rockford, IL

• Options
    I always travel with it empty.  I do not want stresses of the water sloshing around while headed down the road.

2007 T@B

Rockford, IL

• Options
    mash2mash2 Member Posts: 581
    I have an '06 and purchased a second 5 gallon container for use.  I keep it in the TV (usually empty) but fill it when I think I may need additional water.  Just swap out the jugs when one runs out of water.  As Sandra indicated,  need to trade off the weight (each 5 gallons is about 45 pounds).  When I need the water, I add the weight to the TV (in the back seat) ....
  • Options
    I pull a full tank when I'm boondocking - If I'm running campgrounds with water of some kind I dump it - some down the toilet the rest through the sink and to the dump station.
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    Out here on the Calif  coast it is not uncommon for public campgrounds to no longer provide any water due to our drought.  I fill up before I head out to one of those.  I even carry 6 extra gallons in the TV. 
  • Options
    Rad - That campground I hit up in the redwoods (south of Half Moon Bay) had shut off the water except for the bathrooms - showers were off also.
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    PXLated said:
    Rad - That campground I hit up in the redwoods (south of Half Moon Bay) had shut off the water except for the bathrooms - showers were off also.
    Not surprised.  A month ago we stayed at a place, no water, not even the toilets.  They brought in porty pottys.  Next month the place we are going has zero water again.  I noticed you carried extra water so I started doing the same. 
  • Options
    I carry 6-7 extra gallons but have rarely needed that much when I also have a full tank - and I've gotten really good at water conservation - almost everything I have cooking or food storage related is non-stick so you can first wipe down with a paper towel and then min water/soap to finish. Very rarely fill the sink.
  • Options
    Patti - I started out with traditional and switched - My pots are still AllClad traditional but after a month I put my frying pans in storage with most of my other kitchen gear and bought a couple of AllClad nonstick. I can clean a frying pan (after wiping it down with a paper towel) with a half cup of soapy water and a half cup rinse. Miserly :-)
    I can do a pretty good one pan meal - I prepare a lot of things (al dante) so I can just throw them together later.