Mosquito fix for t@b windows

Comments

• rkj__rkj__ Member Posts: 641
    4ncar said:
    @Silver320. Takes about an hour. Maybe 1 1/2 if beer is involved!;)
    It took me about as long to write my post as it did to install the brushes in the two side windows. 

I don’t think I will bother doing the front window. 

2016 T@b 320 CS-S - 2018 GMC Sierra - St. Catharines, Ontario, Canada
  • BrackettkrBrackettkr Member Posts: 9
    The instructions to snap the bug fuzz in the slot without removing anything worked perfect, thank you rkj
    just a couple things to add, I have a 2018 320 s outback:
    1. I use the factory spacer that is already installed as a template to cut the bug fuzz.
    2. I put the plastic piece of bug buzz into the slot facing towards the outside, make sure your black and white window strings are on the outside of the slot, I use a flat head screw driver to click the plastic that is facing inside. I was done in 15 mins. To easy, thanks again rkj

Trey and Karen - 2018 t@b 320 s outback  / 2012 jeep rubicon - San Diego California
  • Silver320Silver320 Member Posts: 30
    edited May 2018
    The fuzz is installed and it was super easy thanks to the instructions above.  The screwdriver was working slowly for me and I found that a putty knife got it done much easier and faster.   Thanks everyone for your help!!
    2017 T@B Max S (Silver-Silver), TV 2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
    States Visited Map
  • LisaHLisaH Member Posts: 29
    Can anyone tell me how to order the parts needed to fix the window? Thank you!
    2018 T@b 320S Boondock, towed by 2012 Toyota Highlander Hybrid
  • 4ncar4ncar Member Posts: 1,072
    Indeed...Elsie, specifically 
    TV- '16 Chevy Colorado LT Crew Cab-DuraMax
    2018 320S Outback
  • LisaHLisaH Member Posts: 29
    Thanks for the contact info. I’ve ordered the part. But it’s on backorder. 
    2018 T@b 320S Boondock, towed by 2012 Toyota Highlander Hybrid
    @LisaH that’s what Elsie told me as well, and within 1 week, I had the kit(s). So, hopefully you will have a similar wait.
    2018 320S Outback
  • danp212danp212 Member Posts: 44
    Was just able to install the bug fuzz on both the side windows in a little under 10 minutes without using any tools at all (except a scissors to cut the appropriate lengths). Slightly long fingernail may have helped me out with popping the fuss strip into the "slot", it was really easy using @rkj_ method, thank you for such a great writeup!!
    2017 T@B Max S
  • ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,396
    Ok, I tackled this yesterday. Getting the fuzz in the slots was a piece of cake using the @rkj__ method, even for the curved front window. (Note that my 2015 did not have any plastic inserts in the fuzz slots. If yours has these and they need to come out you may need to employ a different strategy.)

Installing the foam under the front window frame was also easy. The frame is held on by one screw in each of four corners--you need to remove it entirely in order to install the foam on the back side of the frame.

There was one small wrinkle. nuCamp sent only enough foam for the sides of the windows, and the enclosed instructions say to only install it on the sides. However, my front window (like some others) had a pretty consistent gap all the way around. I purchased 10' of 1/2" wide by 3/8" deep self stick vinyl weatherseal, covered all four edges, and reinstalled the frame without incident. (If you do this I recommend vinyl or poly weatherseal, as they compress better than rubber.)

Visual inspection suggests the fuzz and seals will still not create a perfect bug barrier, but I'll conservatively guess it closes at least 80% of the previous gaps. While I won't be tossing my Photomom-inspired hair nets just yet, I think this modification will be a significant improvement!  
    2015 T@B S
    What's up with this thread? The comments date back to mid April, but the OP is dated May 15th. I think the original discussion title was different, too...
    2015 T@B S
    edited May 2018
    Kfer said:
    Has anyone received the nucamp fix for t@b windows?  The brush rail kits are out of stock and I saw some “weatherstripping fuzz” in the hardware store.  I am wondering if someone can tell me the dimension of the brushes?  I might try a temporary fix as we will be heading out to a camping area in the next few days that usually has lots of mosquitos.  Thanks
    I'm thinking the OP updated their question...

Both the width of the backing and the depth of the fuzz are 7/16".

Regardless of the source, I'd say once you get the brush and install it you've got a permanent fix. Just remember the gaps under the front window frame are a different issue--that's where you will need the self-stick foam to go between the frame and the camper wall.
    2015 T@B S
  • RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    Bug Fuzz, tis the most popular mod of the season!
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
    For those looking to source their own fuzz, I found a scrap and was able to measure it. It is 7/16" deep, and the backing is 7/16" wide.

I've updated my post above.
    2015 T@B S
  • elberethelbereth Member Posts: 105
    I called NuCamp last Monday (10 days ago) and was told the “fuzz” was on backorder, and it arrived this Tuesday - not bad! I used the 4ncar method, which took about 10 minutes to figure out for the first corner and after that went super-quick.  I found I didn’t even have to loosen the horizontal Phillips screw, just a gentle tug downward was enough to open up a gap to slide out the spacer and slide the fuzz in.  Thanks for all the help!
    2018 T@B CS-S Towed by 2015 Subaru Outback 2.5i in the wilds of Minnesota
  • I have a 2017 Q, there are no spacers.  By chance does anyone know the length to cut the fuzz strips?
  • PhotomomPhotomom Member Posts: 2,217
    Bug Fuzz could be a band name.
    John and Henrietta, Late 2016 T@B S Max in Western New York
    tabstel said:
    I have a 2017 Q, there are no spacers.  By chance does anyone know the length to cut the fuzz strips?
    @tabstel, I didn't measure them, but I can tell you they run the exact length of the side pieces of the screen/shade frames. You can see this easily once you pop off the corner caps. Include only the side piece in your measurement--do not include any portion of the corner pieces as the fuzz does not extend into them.
    2015 T@B S
    Preliminary report from the field...

Just got back from four nights in the T@B. The bugs weren't real bad overall, but in the past I've almost always noticed bugs getting in when I'm inside at night with the reading lamp on. I did not notice that this time with the fuzz and foam in place.

I'm sure the real test is yet to come, but so far this modification looks promising!
    2015 T@B S
  • elberethelbereth Member Posts: 105
    We spent the weekend near Bemidji, MN where the mosquitos were unbelievable!  Each morning we woke up to 2 dozen or more mosquitos sitting outside on the window screen above our bed.  Must have been attracted to our breathing.  With the fuzz, had 2 mosquitos total in the T@B all weekend, and it’s possible they came in through the door.  So we’re pretty pleased.

Seeing those mosquitos on the screen, though, got me wondering whether you can treat window screens with permethrin to keep them away.  A quick Google search didn’t give me a lot.  Anyone tried this?
    2018 T@B CS-S Towed by 2015 Subaru Outback 2.5i in the wilds of Minnesota
    elbereth said:
    We spent the weekend near Bemidji, MN where the mosquitos were unbelievable!  Each morning we woke up to 2 dozen or more mosquitos sitting outside on the window screen above our bed.  Must have been attracted to our breathing.  With the fuzz, had 2 mosquitos total in the T@B all weekend, and it’s possible they came in through the door.  So we’re pretty pleased.

Seeing those mosquitos on the screen, though, got me wondering whether you can treat window screens with permethrin to keep them away.  A quick Google search didn’t give me a lot.  Anyone tried this?
    That sounds very encouraging. 

I’ll be heading into bug territory soon. 
  • BrianZBrianZ Member Posts: 1,763
    Has anyone found out if there is a cutoff date of manufacture after which this vulnerability was fixed?  Is the fuzzy strip also being used in newer models, such that one could just look for the fuzz to determine whether it's needed, or just as a retrofit fix? 

The reason I ask is because when I look inside the screen track from the outside of a side window, the edge of the screen rests against a strip of some kind of lightweight, white material without any obvious gap; although, at some of the folds there appears to be a small gap that might be large enough to let a small bug through.  There does not appear to be any large gap along the entire side of the screens.  Ours was manufactured in May, 2017. 

The white strip that abuts the side of the screen is easily pushed to the side with a light touch with a fingertip, but falls back against the edge of the screen when let go.  I assume this is by design, in order to allow the screen to easily slide up & down.  Seems like the fuzzy stuff would interfere with normal screen operation.

-Brian in Chester, Virginia
    TV: 2005 Toyota Sienna LE (3.3L V6)
    RV: 2018 T@B 320S, >100 mods 
    Good question, @BrianZ--that's the first I've heard of what you describe. My windows all had sizeable gaps (>1/8") at all the screen edges, and the recessed track into which the bug fuzz fits was open and clearly visible. (Some owners have reported a plastic insert in this track.) There was no material other than the plastic of the frame.

The fuzz doesn't seem to impede the operation of the screens in any way, although the added drags causes the folds to bunch a little more toward the fixed end. AR types can easily correct this by hand.

I'll reiterate not to overlook the gaps under the frame of the front window. On mine they were huge, and you won't spot them unless you stick your head into the window and look directly through them. Three seasons with my T@B and I never saw them until RollingBnB clued me in in this discussion!
    2015 T@B S
  • RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    @elbereth, if you consider spraying the window screens, make sure your fan is set to pull air into the cabin. That way, you won't get blow-back of bug spray into your face. You certainly can try it! I vaguely remember that spraying the edges of the screens didn't prevent bugs from slipping by the "fuzz application" area. :)
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
    edited June 2018
    I applied to the screens over Memorial Day.  I saw a fly withering & die.  I believe it does work! :D 
    2018 320S Outback
  • BirdieJaneBirdieJane Member Posts: 237
    We have treated the screens and awning for a Montana trip. Seemed to work well. Lasted a few weeks.
    2017 T@B Outback white w black trim / 2019 Subaru Ascent White with black trim / Birch Bay WA.
    aka BirdieJane towed by Quinn
    I’m very happy to report that the “bug fuzz” is working great. I’m currently listening to a symphony of mosquitoes, as they bounce off the outside of the screen, just above my head. 
  • HomebodyatheartHomebodyatheart Member Posts: 2,491
    @rkj__ what I need to clarify is did you remove the entire length of the spacer and the (?)ribbon behind it? I was looking again yesterday and the fuzz won’t stay put with that in place. Did it pull out cleanly or was screw removal involved? Thanks!
    2017 T@B 320 Max S silver and cherry red, L@dybug ("Bug" aka my esc@pe pod), TV 2015 Toyota Highlander aka Big Red
    @rkj__ what I need to clarify is did you remove the entire length of the spacer and the (?)ribbon behind it? I was looking again yesterday and the fuzz won’t stay put with that in place. Did it pull out cleanly or was screw removal involved? Thanks!
    I removed nothing at all, well, other than the corner pieces, to measure the length I needed to cut the fuzz brushes. 
    @Homebodyatheart, some people have reported a thin strip of plastic inserted into the track in which the bug fuzz sits. It apparently just pops out.

@BrianZ reported something more elaborate in his frames that might be an alternative to the bug fuzz. It doesn't appear he made any attempt to remove it.

Mine had nothin' in the track but a wide open space for bugs to zoom through.

So, it sounds like there were different things done different times, possibly a series of attempts to hold back the assault a bit. Can you post a picture of the spacer and ribbon you are referring to?
    2015 T@B S