Options

rkj__'s Ramblings

Comments

• Options
    PhotomomPhotomom Member Posts: 2,217
    Careful driving if you’re coming this weekend - there are predictions of anywhere from sleet to freezing rain to as much as 1/2 inch of ice accumulation. Looking forward to seeing where you’re going!
    John and Henrietta, Late 2016 T@B S Max in Western New York
  • Options
    jgram2jgram2 Member Posts: 1,522
    Is that Adventure Puppy glad to see you’re home, or mini Adventure puppy ready to go again at the slightest sign from you? You two sure know how to make the most of your limited time. Thanks for sharing your adventures!
    John, Judi, Guinness & OD in PDX
    T@Bit@t 2015 S Max Outback, ‘18 V6 4Runner 

• Options
    rkj__rkj__ Member Posts: 641
    edited April 2018
    Twojgrams said:
    Is that Adventure Puppy glad to see you’re home, or mini Adventure puppy ready to go again at the slightest sign from you? You two sure know how to make the most of your limited time. Thanks for sharing your adventures!
    The Adventure Poodle is a pretty chill guy.  He was very happy to see us return though.  Here he is enjoying some snow and ice.

The Adventure Mutt was not too happy to come back to reality, and share our attention with another dog.  Oh well, suck it up pup!

Some people might think the amount of driving we do for such short adventures is a little crazy, but we do our best to not let distance stop us from having a good time. 
    2016 T@b 320 CS-S - 2018 GMC Sierra - St. Catharines, Ontario, Canada
  • Options
    ericnlizericnliz Member Posts: 4,437
    @rkj__, Thanks so much for sharing yet another awesome adventure! Seems you two have quite the knack for making the most out of a situation. Glad you enjoyed your trip & have many more! :)
    2016 T@B MAX S-aka: WolfT@B
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.
    Eric aka: Lone Wolf  

• Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    Amazing story of an adventure! I am always stunned when I come up from Maryland into Pennsylvania and suddenly am in fog, hills, and curvy roads. Beautiful drives. That's where Popper, the service dog, was born. BTW, he's doing nicely with his training and is growing rapidly!

Speaking of pups, did the border folks question you about dog food or bagged treats? Nothing requiring refrigeration though. Just curious. 
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    Ratkity said:
    Amazing story of an adventure! I am always stunned when I come up from Maryland into Pennsylvania and suddenly am in fog, hills, and curvy roads. Beautiful drives. That's where Popper, the service dog, was born. BTW, he's doing nicely with his training and is growing rapidly!

Speaking of pups, did the border folks question you about dog food or bagged treats? Nothing requiring refrigeration though. Just curious. 
    The border guard only asked if our dog was up to date on shots. We were not asked to present documents to support our answer. We did not get any questions about dog food. Each crossing is different though. You never know how it will go. 
  • Options
    PhotomomPhotomom Member Posts: 2,217
    Where to shop for food? I know you are not blessed with Wegmans up there in Ontario, but there are a whole bunch of them in Buffalo and chances are you drove close to at least one of them. Check it out next time. You’ll be glad you did.

Looks like you had a wonderful weekend!
    John and Henrietta, Late 2016 T@B S Max in Western New York
  • Options
    dragonsdoflydragonsdofly Member Posts: 1,926
    edited May 2018
    @rkj__, sounds like you paid attention to some of the best advice I've ever been given: 1) Always listen to the voice in your head. Sometimes you disregard that advice and sometimes you don't, but always listen. 2) Never drive faster than your angel can fly, for reasons you can imagine. And it clearly looks and sounds like you didn't. Saying a special thank you to that angel, even though I am sure you already did.
    2017 t@b sofitel(Dr@gonsFly)TV 2015 Silverado 2500hd(Behemoth). Wyandotte, Michigan.
    Draco dormiens numquam titilandus.
  • Options
    2) Never drive faster than your angel can fly... Saying a special thank you to that angel, even though I am sure you already did.
    Thanks, I like that one. 
  • Options
    dsfdogsdsfdogs Member Posts: 584
    @rkj__, first, you and your family are so cute! I love the pics. Second, I always love reading your posts as they are so well written including great pictures. I was reading with baited breath about the issues. Thank God you listened and acted-good lesson for all of us. 
    Debbie in Oregon
    2023 Tab 400 / 2022 F150 XLT Sport 3.5EB
    Traded in - 2018 T@B 320 S/2019 Toyota 4Runner SR5

• Options
    dsfdogs said:
    @rkj__, first, you and your family are so cute! I love the pics. Second, I always love reading your posts as they are so well written including great pictures. I was reading with baited breath about the issues. Thank God you listened and acted-good lesson for all of us. 
    Thanks for the feedback, it's always appreciated.  I'm very grateful that I'll have more opportunities to ramble on about adventures in our T@b. 

• Options
    I think the Adventure Poodle has special good mojo. How can that happy face not invite guardian angels?

About the lugs.....A similar thing happened to my Dad and our family. I was 11 yo maybe? New Year's Day (a Sunday), heading back from a week in Florida at Grandma's. Tha-thump, tha-thump! Mom yells at my Dad over the din of 4 little girls and windows open "Something's Wrong!"

Dad was hard of hearing then (he's deaf now). "Wha?!!!!?"

Mom screams the same thing. Dad pulls the International TravelAll over on the side of the road and kicks all 4 tires. They are solid. Dad hops in and says nothing is wrong. "hrmmmmm", says Mom.

Same noise, only louder and louder. NOW Dad can hear it. We are in the middle of nowhere on a Sunday and New Year's Day. Dad pulled the hubcap off the driver's side tire and there were two sheared off studs, one missing lug on a bent stud, and the other lugs were working their way off. We weren't rich and Dad wondered what we were going to do. Dad tightens the remaining lugs and we limp down the ramp to a tiny town. 

Thunder and rain start. We stopped by a tiny restaurant that was open and Dad asked if there was a chance there was a mechanic. Cue 4 cute little girls that looked a wee more than shell-shocked. A mechanic was found and opened his shop for us. We lived happily ever-after (we all hated that TravelAll). This all before safety equipment and no mandatory seatbelts. I'm not sure we could even find the lap belts in the back seats. Sometimes it's not just one angel, it's the entire choir!

@rkj__, I'm VERY glad you arrived at home, safe and sound. Also, the shop owner seems to be making things right. 

Great pictures and great adventure!
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    ericnlizericnliz Member Posts: 4,437
    @rkj__, Thanks for sharing yet another adventure! I'll have to agree with you on the "in tune" with your truck. When something doesn't sound right, it probably isn't, and you should definitely listen and check it out rather than the "aw, it's probably nothing serious". I'm especially glad the shop that did the work stepped up and took responsibility over & above for the mishap. Not often anymore you can find an honest reputable shop. Please, if you will give us a follow-up on the results. I'm especially glad the problem was found before anything serious occurred, and everyone one is safe & sound. :)  
    2016 T@B MAX S-aka: WolfT@B
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.
    Eric aka: Lone Wolf  

• Options
    Well, I picked up the truck yesterday from the shop, no charge.  Everything was working as it should.  No other major issues were uncovered in the safety inspection, just some burnt out bulbs for the rear license plate.  I had been putting off replacing those, and now I don't have to.

So, I have to say, that the shop did everything reasonable to "make it right."  I'm thankful for their kind and professional response to the issue. 
  • Options
    Yay Adventure Poodle and Adventure Mutt!!
  • Options
    Pre-read warning.  This trip report is heavy on words, and light on pictures.  Leave yourself a little time to get through this one. 

This weekend, the adventure crew headed to Oastler Lake Provincial Park, for some more time outdoors.  We camped there last summer, and honestly, I did not think we would return.  It's not that I had a bad time on my last trip, but it's a fairly small park, with not that much to do.  And, it's right beside some heavily used train tracks, which means noise and whistles at all hours.  But, Erica went ahead and booked us another round, at the same nice waterfront site we had the previous year. 

So, with little to do at the park, we looked for options in the surrounding area.  Just about 6km away, is the border of The Massasauga Provincial Park.  The Massasauga caters towards canoe-in backcountry camping, and boat-in experiences.  However, they do have a few hiking trails.  One of them that caught our attention was the Moon Island Trail.  The description reads:

"This is a 4 km self-guided trail of moderate difficulty that can be accessed from the Wood’s Bay Day-Use site. The trail traverses various terrain and forest types with impressive lookouts onto Georgian Bay."

Being on an island, meant we would need to paddle to the trailhead.  Sounds fun.  It seemed like a good idea too, since, we have a longer hike, with a similar canoe in format planned for later this summer.  A quick Google showed it as only 17km away.  Cool.  Although I could not find much in the way or reviews of the trail online, we penciled it into our itinerary, and hit the road.  As per usual, we arrived after dark Friday night, and quickly ducked into bed.

We woke up to one concerning weather phenomenon; wind.  Wind and canoes, especially those loaded with dogs, are not a good mix.  What to do?  Well, before making any rash decisions, I decided to get us started with coffee and breakfast.  That's when I learned that cooking over a gas stove outside, and wind is also a poor mix.  The T@b CS's stove actually did a really impressive job of staying lit.  However, the cool wind basically carried the heat away, and the water for my coffee was not even hot to the touch, when I was hoping it would be near boiling.  I was frustrated by the wind, in more ways than one.  Think.  Flame needs a shield.  What's handy?  Dish cloth?  That allowed me to test the concept, and results seemed promising.  However, that was an obvious fire hazard.  What do I have that won't burn?  Aluminum foil.  I quickly crafted a shield to keep the heat from blowing away.  It was quite successful. 

So, we finally got to enjoy our coffee, and a wonderful breakfast hash.  Over breakfast, we contemplated our options.  The wind felt quite fierce at our campsite on the water's edge.  However, slightly inland, or on the opposite shore of the peninsula we were on, the breeze felt much tamer.  How would it feel at the access point?  After some debate, we decided we would prepare ourselves the best we could, and head to the access point, and evaluate the conditions there.  We were quite excited about the original plan, and did not want to bail on it, especially since we did not have an interesting Plan B ready for implementation. 

Erica's canoe tripping experience had us as well prepared as we could reasonably be for a capsize event, a ways from home.  We had a dry sac, loaded with a towel and a change of clothes.  We had two backpacks, loaded with lots of snacks, water, emergency water purification tablets, bug nets, waterproof matches, a pot, tea, and more.  We also had our legally required boater safety kit, with rope, flashlight, and whistle, tucked into a tidy little bailer bucket. 

So, knowing that all our preparation might be wasted, if the conditions were too poor, we punched Pete's Place Access Point into Google Maps.  That's when I realized that the destination was 17km as the crow flies, but 44km by roadways.  Ok, so it will take a few more minutes than I thought.  That's fine. 

After about 40 minutes, we arrived at the access point.  There were plenty of cars in the parking lot, and the conditions, though not perfectly calm, appeared to be reasonable, much to my relief.  So, we loaded our boat, launched into Blackstone Harbour, and were on our way, with the wind at our backs. 

We headed towards the small channel, that would bring us into Woods Bay.  The dogs were being good, and we were making nice progress, and made it through the channel.  Woods Bay turned out to be a little different than what we had imagined.  There was a fair bit of motor boat traffic.  So, in addition to wind, and two dogs, we also had to deal with some wake.  Eek.  We were hanging in, perhaps a bit stressed.  Erica and I had a bit of a disagreement when it came to taking a small break near an island en route.  That lead to us getting tossed around by a wave, and testing us in more ways than one.  Fortunately, we kept dry, and carried on.

Ultimately, we arrived at Moon Island, safe, but a little agitated.  The Friends of The Massasauga greeted us on the docks.  The group had a scheduled trail clean up that morning, that they were wrapping up.  They were a very friendly group, that was happy to help us disembark, and chat for a bit. 

As we started down the trail, some of the volunteers we heading to the finish.  Some wearing bug nets, but some not.  I was expecting this to be a buggy trip, but the cool wind had been keeping all the bugs away up to this point.  We stopped along the shore after just a couple minutes for a cookie.  We were cautioned of some steep sections by a passing volunteer. 

We then headed into the woods, and were given a warm welcome by a million mosquitoes.  Thank goodness I packed the bug nets.  Had I not, I would have quit 5 minutes into the hike.  Bugs love me, far more than Erica anyways.  It was a warm day, but I covered up, head to toe, with a ball cap, bug net, jacket, light gloves, and long pants.  There were swarms.  I'm not really used to that many bugs.  Typically in the past, I avoided walking into the woods of central Ontario at this time of year, because of the bugs. 

Due to my barrier method of protection leading me to be overdressed for the temperature, I got good and sweaty.  The good news was, that I was not getting bit much at all.  Just a few buggers would attack through my ball cap, or my light gloves occasionally.  That said, I was still feeling a little agitated by the constant buzzing and swarming.  This caused me blow through the trail at a brisk pace, with Erica wishing I would dial it down just a notch. 

Willard the Adventure Poodle was having a pretty happy time, but poor Hilton the Adventure Mutt was getting crushed by the bugs.  There was not much to be done about that though, and she did a commendable job of soldiering on. 

As a result of the wind on the water, and the bugs in the woods, I did not snap many pictures, but I did try to get a few from the trail.

It was a nice trail.  It was mostly fairly easy going, but there were some steeper rocky bits to navigate along.  There were a few nice views as well, as the trail occasionally popped out of the dense woods.  You could tell that early in the spring, some sections would have been wet, but for our early June hike, the trail was basically completely dry. 

Due to our high pace, we completed the trail quicker than we would have typically.  I'll admit, I was a little relieved when we emerged from the woods. 

When we got back to the trailhead, we saw that the Friends had finished their work for the day, and we were alone on the island.  We took a good long while to eat some lunch and let some sweat dry, before starting what would be a tough paddle into the wind.

Being almost 9km into our self propelled journey, we were not exactly fresh when we hit the water again.  The wind did fight us pretty hard, and gave us a real good workout, as we propelled our little blue canoe back to the access point.

When we hit the small channel again, we came across a police boat.  The officers on board were checking for boating safety equipment.  I held up our safety kit, and they spotted the whistle on Erica's life jacket.  So, we were clear to proceed.  Fortunately, the dogs did not get too worked up about the officers.  So, take this as a reminder, to always carry the necessary safety equipment, even on your canoe and kayak.  Police are out there, trying to keep you safe. 

Anyway, we used what strength we had, and finally made it back to the access point, good and tired. 

We all took a dip in the lake.  This was a first for the young Adventure Poodle.  He got his paws off solid ground, and took a few strides in the water.  He did not seem concerned, or unhappy. However, when I was swimming later, he did not join me in the water either. Maybe he will develop an affinity for swimming, maybe he won't. He will certainly get more chances to swim, either way.

We enjoyed the peacefullness of being the only ones around for a little while, before packing up, and heading back to Oastler Lake. 

Arriving back at the T@b, we were pretty beat, but quite happy with successfully completing the planned journey.  Earlier in the day, we were not sure we would be able to even begin it.  We felt that we overcame a little adversity, at least more than usual.  This completed adventure will make us even more ready to tackle the next ones. 

A nap turned into basically shutting it down for the day.  Sunday morning, the winds had calmed down, and we enjoyed just taking it easy at our campsite, before traveling home after lunch. 

Feeling happy, and excited for upcoming, and not yet planned adventures, we headed home.

Happy Camping

• Options
    dsfdogsdsfdogs Member Posts: 584
    Another great write up. After reading your first sentence, I went and got a snack to enjoy while reading. :) Paddling into the wind is so hard and s l o w. Good on you to have the proper gear. Great pictures too.
    Debbie in Oregon
    2023 Tab 400 / 2022 F150 XLT Sport 3.5EB
    Traded in - 2018 T@B 320 S/2019 Toyota 4Runner SR5

• Options
    dsfdogs said:
    Another great write up. After reading your first sentence, I went and got a snack to enjoy while reading. :) Paddling into the wind is so hard and s l o w. Good on you to have the proper gear. Great pictures too.
    Good call grabbing the snack. LoL

Thanks for the feedback. :)
  • Options
    I always enjoy your trip write ups and photos. And am particularly happy you live in a distant place we may never travel to, but we are able to see another beautiful area anyway! Thanks.

• Options
    jgram2 said:
    I always enjoy your trip write ups and photos. And am particularly happy you live in a distant place we may never travel to, but we are able to see another beautiful area anyway! Thanks.
    Thanks jgram2. As long as people are still enjoying them, I will keep posting them. 

I too too enjoy living vicariously through the journeys of others sometimes. 
  • Options
    This one will be a short read, I promise.  But, feel free to grab a snack before you start reading anyway. 

This weekend Erica and I headed to Long Point Provincial Park.  We had only one goal in mind.  Relaxation. 

Erica once again hit it out of the park, and picked us a perfect site.  We had packed everything we needed to be comfortable.  After a relatively short, and stress free drive on a Saturday morning, we arrived.

In no time at all, we were getting lounge chair lazy.  That's right.  Lounge chairs.  Packing no bikes or canoes, left plenty of room for glamping items.  With a few very light rain showers expected, we erected our Columbia shelter. 

Then, Erica made some great sandwiches. 

Beyond that, there's really not much to report.  We both really enjoyed the relaxation and time together.

The 26 hour stay wrapped up pretty quickly, and we were home on Sunday afternoon, with plenty of daylight left. 

Since we had not been very active, Erica suggested (Erica is always full of fun ideas), that we take advantage of the time, and still fit in something active.  So, we headed to her favourite local spot for a hike.  To try to slow her down, I strapped 10kg of rock salt to her back.  She still managed the ups and the downs with grace and beauty. 

An intuitive person should be able to figure out why we were doing local hikes with big bags.  Tune in later this July for a fresh new flavour of adventure!
  • Options
    2Cougs2Cougs Member Posts: 904
    edited June 2018
    @rkj__- I am an intuitive person and have some thoughts.  Curious if any of them are right.  Will write them down so I can see if I am right.  One idea in particular it at the top of the list   ;)
    Love following your adventures!
    2016 T@B CS-S silver with white trim and WSU themed
    Pulled by a silver 2017 Chevy Silverado
    Leaves on T@bventures from Spokane, WA

• Options
    Alrighty then-either you’re getting married, climbing a mountain, or auditioning for The Amazing Race tv competition. There are plenty of similarities amongst those 3 adventures! 

• Options
    I know in college I would put all my text books in my backpacking pack and walk up the hills of campus.... I was training to be a character in the electric parade at Disneyland.  Dwarf heads weigh about 40 pounds and I was going to be dancing with it on! B)

• Options
    HomebodyatheartHomebodyatheart Member Posts: 2,494
    @2Cougs I've got to ask...did you get the job, and were you one of the seven dwarfs?

@rkj__ your posts are delightful to read, and the pics are great, too! I hadn't seen a Columbia tent/shelter before. I'm off to google it! Thanks!
    2017 T@B 320 Max S silver and cherry red, L@dybug ("Bug" aka my esc@pe pod), TV 2015 Toyota Highlander aka Big Red
  • Options
    @Homebodyatheart- Yep!  Spent the summer as a dwarf.... Only one in seven are Happy, and that was me!