Options

Fuses for the Alde System

Question; The fuses for the Alde system in my new T@B400 have already blown and we are having a hard time finding where you can buy a 3.75 ( I think that is what my husband said it was).  So where do the rest of you buy your fuses
for your T@B400??????  We leave in two weeks and we had no idea they were so hard to find.
Pam

Pam and Ron, 2018 T@B 400 named Felix, white with black trim, pulled by a 6 cylinder Toyota Truck.

Comments

• Options
    rkj__rkj__ Member Posts: 641
    I found some at a small town hardware store. 

If if you can’t find them, Amazon can help you out. 
    2016 T@b 320 CS-S - 2018 GMC Sierra - St. Catharines, Ontario, Canada
  • Options
    PamHowardPamHoward Member Posts: 25
    rkj - nope my husband has been looking on Amazon and did not fine them.  I guess I will have to call the factory and see if they will sell us some.
    Pam

Pam and Ron, 2018 T@B 400 named Felix, white with black trim, pulled by a 6 cylinder Toyota Truck.

• Options
    4ncar4ncar Member Posts: 1,072
    @PamHoward: a trick I picked up that has worked well for me thus far in keeping the fuses from blowing is....turn the Alde OFF at the thermostat at the end of each trip(or campsite) When you reach your next shore power connection, make your shore power connection, and power up the Alde AFTER power has been brought on line.  I have yet to blow a fuse using this method.  Of course I just jinxed myself, and will blow my fuse this weekend when we go out!
    TV- '16 Chevy Colorado LT Crew Cab-DuraMax
    2018 320S Outback
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    edited June 2018
    Unless the fuses have changed from the T@B 320 to the T@B 400, these are the 3.15a fuses for the Alde. @PamHoward, please have your husband use a magnifying glass to verify the amperage. 

Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    “Fuses for Newbies” is a document in the category of User Manuals/PDF files/, etc. located on the left side of this page. I always recommend printing this document and keeping it in the T@B for reference if you do not have Internet services while on the road. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,642
    Also, check your local electronics store, if there is one nearby.  These types of glass fuses are still fairly common in electronic applications, but are rare as hen's teeth in automobiles any more.
    2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
  • Options
    db_cooperdb_cooper Member Posts: 726
    I found them at an Ace hardware store, but not where the fuses are located.  They were in the section where all of the nuts and bolts are, in one of those plastic bins where the specialty fasteners like cotter pins are. 
    2015 Max S Outback | 2010 Xterra

• Options
    rajamarrajamar Member Posts: 112
    Several theads here discuss blown Alde fuses on the T@B 320s. This thread: https://tab-rv.vanillacommunity.com/discussion/3389/reliable-source-for-alde-fuses/p1 while long, sheds the most light on the situation. 
    In a nutshell - Alde was shipping 320s with fast blow fuses; Little Guy/NuCamp/Pleasant Valley started shipping 320s with 2 spare slow blow fuses after receiving many blown fuse complaints. It was kind of a stand-off between the Alde engineers and those at T@B. It sounds like the 400s may also have fast blow fuses. Note that Verna's Amazon link is for the slow blow type that solved many of the Alde blown fuse problems. 
    2016 T@B S - TV 2004 Toyota Sienna
  • Options
    rajamarrajamar Member Posts: 112
    Slight clarification to above: The Alde units being put into the T@B 320s were coming from Alde with fast blow fuses.
    2016 T@B S - TV 2004 Toyota Sienna
  • Options
    4ncar4ncar Member Posts: 1,072
    I have a 2018 320s and using the process I described above, have yet to blow an Alde fuse...2nd time tonight I am jinxing myself....this weekend will be our 7th trip since August when purchased and a total of 26 nights...
    TV- '16 Chevy Colorado LT Crew Cab-DuraMax
    2018 320S Outback
  • Options
    rkj__rkj__ Member Posts: 641
    4ncar said:
    I have a 2018 320s and using the process I described above, have yet to blow an Alde fuse...2nd time tonight I am jinxing myself....this weekend will be our 7th trip since August when purchased and a total of 26 nights...
    I do the same, and have blown two fuses in 16 trips. 
    2016 T@b 320 CS-S - 2018 GMC Sierra - St. Catharines, Ontario, Canada
  • Options
    WanderinginWonderWanderinginWonder Member Posts: 47
    Talked to the people at NuCamp and they said Amazon is the easiest place to get them or they can ship them to you from their office. 
    2018 T@B 400 Silver and Black "Luxo" / 2009 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo - Jeremy and Andrea - Southport, NC
  • Options
    RangerTom said:
    Never had a problem finding at an ACE Hardware store, even in out of the way place in northern Wisconsin.  However, I found that turning off the Alde like @4ncar said, prevents the fuse blowing problem for me.  Whenever I hitch up and am ready to travel, the Alde gets turned off.
    4ncar said:
    ....turn the Alde OFF at the thermostat at the end of each trip(or campsite)
    I have actually had the same problem with my Alde system and I keep mine off. Only time it’s on is when I need hot water. I have blown 2 in the past 8 months. Not sure what the issue is but I had an order from Amazon waiting on me when I get back from my 25 days on the road in my 400

2018 T@B 400 Silver and Black "Luxo" / 2009 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo - Jeremy and Andrea - Southport, NC
  • Options
    TerryV6TerryV6 Member Posts: 1,092
    We have had an ongoing intermitent fuse blowing situation.  We always follow the 4ncar method and yet it will still happen sometimes.  We just carry extra fuses right now.  From following the other threads and advice from NuCamp, another way is to run a ground from the Alde to the battery.  I have to admit to some ignorance on this, though my wife says I have a lot of room in that area, (sorry, I tease her alot).  When we were in Madison a while ago, the dealer also mentioned this fix.  So, I am going to give them a call, schedule a time, and have them do it.  If I mention this to my siblings, I'm sure I'll hear the, "why, you could do that yourself"....  I think I'd need a step by step before attempting that one.....
    Terry & Jody...  2016 Dodge Ram 1500
    2016 NuCamp 320 T@B Max S
    T@bbey  Road   
    Appleton,  WI

• Options
    The correct size of glass fuse for the top of the Alde is 3.15A.  
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    db_cooperdb_cooper Member Posts: 726
    edited June 2018
    +1 @RangerTom

They are available at most Ace hardware stores, just not where you'd expect to find them. Nor where the employee's would either. Please see my post above with a picture of the bins you are looking for. When I get a chance I'll take a picture of the exact bin, but they are in the fasteners section for some reason.
    2015 Max S Outback | 2010 Xterra

• Options
    Another one bites the dust! That’s the second fuse in the past 2 weeks. Maybe it’s Iowa? Both went out while traveling here. Both times and previous times the system was off. Can’t be an electrical surge since I have my surge protector installed. Not sure what this issue is but I plan to either stop by NuCamp while we are traveling home to NC or go back by our dealer and have them look at the wiring again. 
  • Options
    ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    Pam, I made the mistake @Verna talks about, at first thinking it was a 3.75A fuse. They are in fact 3.15A fuses...
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    Or aluminum foil!!! :lol: Not that I know anything about those type of emergency fixes, or as I prefer to say "MacGyvering" :)
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    @TerryV6 Per Alde you have the correct answer. The blown fuse issue is a known grounding issue with the first run of 400’s. The problem was resolved in the later models. Just got off the phone with Spencer at Alde and he said the early models ground strap for the Alde system is attached to the trailer frame. Since all of the other appliances in the 400 are grounded to the same area it causes a back current on the ground side fuse which causes it to blow. The fix is to install a ground strap from the negative terminal of the battery over to the Alde. Short term fix is installing a 5 amp fuse but not recommended for long term use due to some systems overheating from the back current. @PamHoward @Verna