Options

What Could This Be? - Another Way to Mount An Antenna Pole

BrianZBrianZ Member Posts: 1,763
edited June 2018 in Modifications & Upgrades
Okay mod squad, anyone want to take a wild guess what this might be, (besides what happens when your wife goes to the beach for a few days and leaves you home alone with your own mind)?  😏

I guess I could have just said "caption this"!
I hope it will actually become part of something for the T@B.

UPDATE:
You guys are just too smart to get anything past you!  It does go in the ground..

The "teeth" help drive it in, but the "arm" helps to rotate it to loosen rocks & helps pull it out later.  I guess the arm could also be used to drive it in farther when the pole is already mounted.
This was actually a leftover piece from some totally unrelated project, which I cut up.  It may have been a soccer goal or a lighting stand for portrait photography.  I keep all kinds of "junk" in the shed. 

And, it does help anchor the bottom of an antenna pole (surprise,  surprise); not that it really needs it, but may help.

This is actually my main purpose here..  to show how the same technique & part I used to mount my sewer hose storage tube can be used in a smaller size to mount an antenna mast to the T@B handle by using two of them linked together.  Once again, the only thing touching the T@B is rubber.  The grippy rubber part combined with the tightening ability of a hose clamp makes a very secure mounting that does not even let the pole rotate, which helps when you're trying to tighten or loosen the telescoping pole sections.

Here's the part I used, also from Lowes, but in a 1-1/4" size.  At right is one I cut up to get a pair of clamps, so I bought two pipe connectors to make the four pieces needed.  Below is the painter pole I used, which can extend up to 23 feet, but I will likely only go to 15 feet for more stability, unless needed.

This first test proved to be very secure, and I got about 20+ TV channels from 15-30 miles away.  It is at least 6 feet short of the max height, but the pole leans a bit at full extension.  I removed the pole by completely loosening & removing the two hose clamps around the handle, and to help with this, I trimmed off the excess length of the metal band.  Using a small hex socket in a handheld driver makes loosening & tightening much easier than a screwdriver.  The clamps for the handle need to be tightened back up for storage, to avoid losing the rubber pieces.  This pole is a bit longer than 8', so glad we have a van.  

I'm going to look into adding a cell phone signal booster next, so please let me know if you have a current recommendation. 
Thanks for playing.

-Brian in Chester, Virginia
TV: 2005 Toyota Sienna LE (3.3L V6)
RV: 2018 T@B 320S, >100 mods 

Comments

• Options
    jgram2jgram2 Member Posts: 1,522
    Answer to : Why should my dear wife never leave me home alone?
    John, Judi, Guinness & OD in PDX
    T@Bit@t 2015 S Max Outback, ‘18 V6 4Runner 

• Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,489
    Is that a pole or flag post?  That sharp end looks like it should go in the ground.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    Tabaz Tabaz Member Posts: 2,356

Haven't a clue, but the "R" implies there is a left side to this thing.  Keep looking around.

2016 Outback 320 with a 2010 Ford Expedition.
  • Options
    jgram2jgram2 Member Posts: 1,522
    edited June 2018
    Or compress to fit into something- maybe to hold an antenna pole device?
    John, Judi, Guinness & OD in PDX
    T@Bit@t 2015 S Max Outback, ‘18 V6 4Runner 

• Options
    HomebodyatheartHomebodyatheart Member Posts: 2,494
    No clue, but left alone with tools makes life interesting!  =)
    2017 T@B 320 Max S silver and cherry red, L@dybug ("Bug" aka my esc@pe pod), TV 2015 Toyota Highlander aka Big Red
  • Options
    dragonsdoflydragonsdofly Member Posts: 1,926
    @BrianZ, I know, I know! (Extracted from a previous thread and conversation): the answer is 42.
    2017 t@b sofitel(Dr@gonsFly)TV 2015 Silverado 2500hd(Behemoth). Wyandotte, Michigan.
    Draco dormiens numquam titilandus.
  • Options
    DalehelmanDalehelman Member Posts: 2,410
    Don’t tell us what it is for. A clue would be nice. At this point I have idea.
    1. Hash  T@B Fun
  • Options
    Oops, sorry Dale, I didn't see your message until after I posted "the rest of the story", as Paul Harvey used to say.  I would have enjoyed reading more guesses, but at least two people were on to me.
  • Options
    People always ask me what this is for. 

1. Hash  T@B Fun
  • Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,421
    Okay, @BrianZ gets promoted to T@B University Professor of Alternative uses for Fernco Couplings!

I won't be copying your idea for this one, though. I'm pondering removing my TV and building a storage alcove in that hole in the wall.  :-)
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    @Dalehelman, that's a great idea too, and I almost got one of those, but was concerned about pole diameter & proper fit, which may have led me back to the Fernco connector.  And if you ever get a camping spot next to a lake, you'll be all set for fishing. 😉

LOL, @ScottG, that is quite the specialized title!  Just call me Prof Fernco. 🤓
    Well, if nothing else, at least we might have better chances of access to weather news with radar, when we don't have wifi or cell service.

• Options
    newellnewell Member Posts: 182
    BrianZ, You should write an illustrated book of T@B mods and sell it online and at all the get togethers.   Great idea on this one and looks nice and neat too.  Sure beats my old swimming pool pole held on with zip ties. 

Earl & Sue | Central NY |
    2017 T@B 320S | TV: Chevy Silverado
  • Options
    Thanks, @newell.  I generally focus on function over looks when doing mods, but if it looks neat, that can be a plus too.

Sometimes I feel like I've already written a book!  😉  I did make a list recently though, of all the mods I could think of that I've made to our trailer - 32 so far, but two thirds are not original ideas, and a few are minor improvements on old ideas. 
    I think the mods I appreciate most are when I can find an alternative use for something, especially if it's something that might ordinarily be tossed in the garbage can.

I like your bicycle mount, by the way.  It has me rethinking our spare tire mounted on the tongue, as it would be easier to leave the spare in the van & not have to drag the bikes in & out of the van, though it does protect them from rain & dirt.

• Options
    TerryV6TerryV6 Member Posts: 1,092
    BrianZ,  Just a quick question...  I have the same circular antenna, but it is mounted to the roof.  I was wondering if your reception changed if you lowered your antenna down to the roof level....?
    Terry & Jody...  2016 Dodge Ram 1500
    2016 NuCamp 320 T@B Max S
    T@bbey  Road   
    Appleton,  WI

• Options
    Good question, @TerryV6, and I haven't tested for this here (yet?), but when we used it in the past we've always had it mounted to a block of wood that we just set on top of the roof. 
            (-----  End Of Quick Answer  -----)
    Either we got reception or we didn't, but I believe every situation will be different and any test would only be meaningful for the current site & likely wouldn't apply to others.  And of course you have to rescan for stations in the TV's menu each time you setup or change the antenna.

Having extra height available won't always make a difference or even be necessary, but it very well could, depending on distance to broadcast towers, their signal strength, the local terrain, and what other obstacles might exist between antenna & tower.  Our antenna is supposed to be good up to 60 miles, but I expect that's under the most favorable conditions, and if you have them but you're too far away, even the taller mount won't help.  On the other hand, if you're only 20 miles away but behind a mountain or some other tall physical obstruction, a 20-ft pole may make zero difference. 

We recently camped in the Shenandoah River valley, with mountains to both east & west between us & nearest tv stations that should have been within range, but we had zero reception (and no cell service from Verizon there either, or even any radio stations, am or fm).  That seemed unusual to us for a state park, and I have serious doubts whether having the antenna pole would have made any difference at all.  But there have been other parks where I think it may have made a difference either in getting anything or else in the number of stations. 

I can test in the future though, and see if roof level versus 15 ft higher makes any difference.  It still wouldn't surprise me if it didn't in most cases, but I still believe if you want the best chance always, then get it as high as you can.  It may not be worth the effort to many, so to each his own.  If camping in an area where mountains & tall buildings aren't an issue but range is close to being marginal & you have lots of big trees around you, then I think the extra height could make a difference.

By the way, our antenna is supposed to be omnidirectional, but I saw some comments in Amazon reviews that questioned this & they seemed to get different results by aiming it towards station locations.  Not sure how one would aim it, other than try random orientations & see what's best.  I'm guessing that even antennas made to be omnidirectional may still be somewhat directional, and not strictly omnidirectional.

If I do your test here, I'll let you know what I find, and maybe elsewhere in the future.  I am using an Android app called "DTV Antennas", which can show antenna locations on a map for any given location you choose, and it gives you a list of which stations should & shouldn't be in range based on mileage & signal strength.  If I see in advance on the app that nothing's in range, then I wouldn't bother setting up.

• Options
    Ok, @TerryV6, I set up the antenna pole again, and tested all the way up versus down.  Down is maybe a foot higher than sitting on the roof, and here's how I tested, close to all the way up, 20 feet up maybe?...

I got 19 channels at roof level, and 22 channels in the position shown, which included the three digital channels of the local NBC affiliate, 16 miles away, that weren't there at all at roof level.  The direction of that station is to the left of the big oak tree in our next door neighbors yard, and in line with the next house according to the app & my GPS compass.  I believe the extra height overcame the obstacle of the 2nd house down the street that may have been blocking the signal.  It's these kinds of local situations that will always vary and be unpredictable, so I figure the "higher is always better" rule gives the best chances at reception. 

I also tried aiming the antenna in 3 different compass directions where local stations were theoretically within range, up to 50+ miles: 10°, 130°, and 315°; and then rescanning after each change of direction.  It made no difference whatsoever, so it would appear that our antenna is truly omnidirectional in its behavior, but is more limited in range than advertised, at least for our local conditions.

The antenna app listed a few channels that were potentially recievable at between 50-60 miles away, on the far fringe of reception based on both their broadcast signal strength shown by the app and also the antenna's specs, but none of those showed up.  I think 20-30 miles is a more realistic expectation for the limits of this antenna, from what I've seen around here.  If you're in a very flat place without a lot of tall trees, like Florida for example, you may get a lot farther range, provided you're not in a city with tall buildings.  In many campsite situations, even an antenna this tall may not get you anything at all, and in other situations, it could make all the difference.

• Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,489
    @BrianZ, I sure hope you reel that in when a storm comes up!  Either that or you need to advertise your services for Lightening Chasers!
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    Haha, but good point, @SAM, I will try to keep that in mind.  We're generally fair weather campers - only rained one day so far in 7 trips.  This pole is much shorter than the average oak trees that are plentiful in our state & state parks.  It's also shorter than the 8-ft iron pipe mast on top of our house for my weather station's anemometer & rain gauge, but the oak trees in our yard are still much taller.  My weather station has been running for 20 years & never been hit, though we did lose one tree in our yard from a lightning strike. 
    Thanks for the reminder though - I won't put it up if storms are in the forecast.

• Options
    Forgot to share these screenshots from the DTV Antennas app that shows TV stations available in our area, with distance & direction to each..

What I find interesting is that I couldn't get that one local Richmond station (NBC, Ch 12) 16 miles away without raising the antenna higher; but I could get the CW Ch 65 even with the antenna down, even though it's 29 miles away and the signal strengths are about the same.  I could not get any Norfolk channels listed as within range at 57 miles away, even though the antenna is rated for 60 miles.

By selecting an antenna, the app will  display its range graphically, which is not always a circle, but can be an odd shape.  This NBC signal reaches much farther than our location at the blue dot, but due to whatever local interferences are present, we could only get it by raising the antenna higher.

I have found this app useful for checking reception in advance of a trip, so I may not even bother to set up the antenna if chances look slim.  Will also be trying a longer radio antenna next trip.
  • Options
    @BrianZ
    Is that an Omni directional antenna with a 12 volt amplifier?
    1. Hash  T@B Fun
  • Options
    edited June 2018
    Hi @Dalehelman .  Yes, omni-directional outdoor antenna made by "1byone".  It comes with a small power supply for the coax cable powered by 5V line connected to USB port behind the TV.  Also comes with a 100-240 ac power adapter with USB port to plug into a wall outlet if no USB port available behind the TV.  

Interesting looking back at the instructions where it gives these tips:
    1.  Placing the antenna in a higher location may result in better reception.
    2.  Placing the antenna facing the broadcast tower may result in better reception.
    It is best to place the antenna in line of sight with the TV tower and avoid obstructions.  Distance from the tower, hills, buildings and even tall trees can impact reception.

PS:  This reminds me, regarding the lightening rod discussion, we should also disconnect the antenna from the outside wall coax input whenever storms are possible, since it is connected to the TV & trailer power supply.
  • Options
    CarolynCarolyn Member Posts: 125
    Brian, what is the name of the app, please.
    2014 CS, tie-dyed exterior, "Tabula Rasa" and 2009 T@da also tie-dyed, “Grateful”
  • Options
    @Carolyn, it's an Android app called "Digital TV Antennas".