Options

To anyone thinking of vacationing in the Durango area

DurangoTaBDurangoTaB Member Posts: 754
edited June 2018 in Camping & Travel
The “416” fire is one of the worst in the country because of it’s size, proximity to houses, the ski area, Durango city, and difficult terrain.  It will not be over soon.  Smoke in the mornings (til around noon) is thick and unhealthy...no hiking, biking, or even walking the dog.  The City is considering closing many of the city hiking trails due to concerns about smokers.  Effective today the San Juan National Forest is closed to all people & car traffic, indefinitely...the first time ever.  We are in an “exceptional” drought which isn’t expected to change any time soon (monsoons typically start in early July). The Narrow Gauge train has been stopped for a week and probably so for the rest of the month. Rt. 550 (the main road between Durango and Silverton) is closed.  So unless you’re just traveling through, e.g. to/from Pagosa, or headed toward Mesa Verde and Cortez, be aware of the extraordinary conditions here.  :-(

It’s always a mixed blessing...this is normally a Southwestern bluebird sky, but late this morning...no wind (yay!)...which means the stinky haze hangs around, but it’s so much better for the firefighters 7 miles north: 

J.D. & Sue

Durango, CO    2014/15 S M@xx :  "Dory's HabiT@B"  Keep on swimming...

Comments

• Options
    jgram2jgram2 Member Posts: 1,522
    Thank you!
    John, Judi, Guinness & OD in PDX
    T@Bit@t 2015 S Max Outback, ‘18 V6 4Runner 

• Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    Be safe! Thank you for the extra information that the National news doesn't really mention.
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,650
    Inciweb is an excellent source for fire info across the US.  Here is their 416 Fire page.

2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
  • Options
    @pthomas745...thanks for the reminder.  The best source of up-to-date info for us has been Facebook: “@416fire”

J.D. & Sue

• Options
    cbarnhillcbarnhill Member Posts: 330
    Thanks, JD.  We were booked for the cayton CG which is now closed until July 2nd. So we are now headed for pagosa springs. 
    Cindy with my 2015 MaxS (Puppy) and my 2015 Subaru Outback (Boo)
  • Options
    Cindy...happy camping at beautiful Pagosa Springs!  Where are you staying?  One of the RV parks along 160, or one of the FS campgrounds (Williams Creek, West/East Fork)?

J.D. & Sue

• Options
    ColoradoJonColoradoJon Member Posts: 415
    I was curious how you were faring out there, @DurangoTaB.  I was evacuated for two weeks during the Hayman fire back in 2002, and then got to witness the horror of the Waldo Canyon fire in 2012.  I don't envy you at all right now.

This morning I commented to my wife that it smelled like a campfire outside, and the sky was super hazy.  That's all from 416.  Even here at work in Cripple Creek the sky is hazy.  It's going to be one of those summers...
    Jon & Angela | Florissant Colorado | 2017 Outback S
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    I saw that La Plata County initiated  Stage 3 fire restrictions, closing trails, today, too. 

It appears that so far Haviland Lake CG has been spared. Firefighters are doing an amazing job protecting structures with back burns and the treme food effort put into pre-positioning, creating defensible space, and other fire management tactics have been the most effective that I have observed. 

Keeping the firefighters and community members in my prayers for rain and calm winds. I was watching the live news conference when the Waldo Canyon fire exploded and it was really frightening. I also have a friend who narrowly escape the Chimney Tops fire in Gatlinburg as his home and the forest around it was up on flames while he stood in his driveway with no way out. 

J.D. and Sue are great people. Hoping for the best for them, their furry friends, and neighbors.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    FYI, the San Juan NF also impacts you if you were planning on camping in the Ouray area and also the Telluride side of Last Dollar Rd, and the NF CGs around Telluride, Lizard Head, Trout Lake, all of the way down to Dolores. In addition, many state and country areas are closed.

The moral of the story is: call ahead. And pray for rain.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,650
    The good news is the humidities will be increasing the next few days: 
    The trough across the northwest deepens Friday into Saturday
    driving high pressure to the Panhandle region and opening the
    forecast to an influx of subtropical moisture from the south. In
    fact, remnants of Hurricane Bud may reach the south on Saturday
    bringing the potential for widespread wetting rain across the
    area with locally heavy rain possible. This could result in debris
    flows off the 416 and Burro fire scars. On the plus side, the area
    should see temperatures cool below seasonal norms after the
    prolonged period of warmer than normal readings.

2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
  • Options
    Yes...and rain! 

• Options
    dsatworkdsatwork Member Posts: 744
    I lived in Denver for close to 30 years and never saw droughts like this.
    2017 Tab Basic S Silver on Silver with Sofitel Cushions....upgraded from 2013 LG 5W....Towed by a 2016 Sorento V6 AWD w/5000lb tow capacity. Dave S. married to Jen aka SanDiegoGal We pull a Tab but live in a 2014 Airstream International Signature 27 FBQ...Talk about embracing a trailer lifestyle.
  • Options
    I am hoping it doesn't end like it did in 2013 stationary front dumping buckets of rain over the front range and ravaging Lyons, Big Thompson ,Cayon. Ward, Nederland, etc...

Praying for rain.

• Options
    Smullis7Smullis7 Member Posts: 221

Hoping the best for you DurangoTaB.  Like ColoradoJon, I witnessed the Waldo Canyon fire and Black Forest fires here.  Phantom Canyon already had a fire and our ranch in Cotopaxi is dry as a tinderbox.  Miller Creek, which flows thru our property has already dried up just south of us!  We need rain BAD!  And as I say that, Colorado Springs was hit by another killer hail storm like the one that turned my brand new, 30-hour old T@B into a golf ball two years ago!!

Sheila and the Mullis Pups (Winston, Morgan, Leroy & Dakota)
    M@bel M@y, my 2017 T@B Outback Max S (silver w/black trim), towed by Maude Myrtle, my 2016 Jeep Rubicon Hardrock.

• Options
    Sheila...so sorry to hear your stories!  Sadly, too many can relate.  My wife lived through the Hayman Fire like Jon :-(. Let’s hope Bud brings some relief to all of us.  Not much encouraging news here...fire is still spreading, and the focus is keeping control so it doesn’t reach Durango.  🤞🙏

J.D. & Sue

• Options
    cbarnhillcbarnhill Member Posts: 330
    Cindy...happy camping at beautiful Pagosa Springs!  Where are you staying?  One of the RV parks along 160, or one of the FS campgrounds (Williams Creek, West/East Fork)?
    We’re staying at one of the ones on 160. We’re just glad to find something-it’s so hard to find campground reservations. We had booked cayton CG back in March. 
    Cindy with my 2015 MaxS (Puppy) and my 2015 Subaru Outback (Boo)
  • Options
    I didn’t realize until after I sent that note that the FS campgrounds in/around Pagosa were affected by the San Juan shutdown...Willams Creek (a great spot), East/West Fork campgrounds, and anything off-road.  Safe travels Cindy!

The poor West...

J.D. & Sue

• Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    Wow, just wow! Careful everyone!!! You're important. <3
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    Wish we could reroute some of the moisture received here in Michigan to the western slope!  
    Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
  • Options
    Wish we could reroute some of the moisture received here in Michigan to the western slope!  
    Ditto.. for Western PA. 

• Options
    rtolanrtolan Member Posts: 23
    Yes, all forest service campgrounds around Pagosa are closed - all still within the San Juan National forest. If you go east on highway 160 over Wolf Creek Pass you will enter the Rio Grande national forest and it is still open. Fire danger is extreme so no campfires allowed. Be safe and very careful!