Options

2.5 weeks old and she's already leaking???

GidgetGidget Member Posts: 64
I cannot fully express how annoyed I am at the fact my a/c is already dripping onto the bed. I absolutely detest this very low quality unit doesn't even have an auto mode! 

I'm in Chattanooga on business and brought Gizmo up to the office to stay whilst working. Come to find out after three days of continual a/c use that it's leaking onto the bed. It never clicks off so I'm SURE it's because of the high usage. I'm at my wits end. 

Has anyone replaced this unit for something of quality and features??? A/C unit with a digital thermostat and a "dry" mode. If so, can you please tell me what make/model you bought and approx the price? Thank you so much!

Look out open road, here we come!!! Me, my Gracie May, a 2YO Beaweenie; half Beagle, half Dachshund, Dash, the 2015 Kia Sorento LX V6, Gidget, the 2018 nüCamp 320s!

Places Visited Map

Comments

• Options
    4ncar4ncar Member Posts: 1,072
    It is the condensation.  It is normal, as an air conditioner is also a dehumidifier.  There is a drip pan under the ac unit with a proper drain to the ground.  I have found that a slight downward (tongue down)tilt will insure that it drains proper, as long as you are level side to side.

im sorry for your frustration; we all go through it with one thing or another’s, but it is part of the learning curve to a new way of life ;)
    TV- '16 Chevy Colorado LT Crew Cab-DuraMax
    2018 320S Outback
  • Options
    GidgetGidget Member Posts: 64
    Thanks @4ncar ... it IS frustrating. I just can't believe all these problems in just two and a half weeks of ownership. I wonder why they can make a car that doesn't have leak problems for years (if ever) but they can't do the same for an RV....  it's truly baffling. 

Frustration aside, thank you so much for the simple tip. THAT I can do.

Look out open road, here we come!!! Me, my Gracie May, a 2YO Beaweenie; half Beagle, half Dachshund, Dash, the 2015 Kia Sorento LX V6, Gidget, the 2018 nüCamp 320s!

Places Visited Map
  • Options
    4ncar4ncar Member Posts: 1,072
    @Gizmo nucamp makes a fine product, relative to the majority of RV manufacturers. Keep in mind this is a rolling house, that will be susceptible to not only the greatout doors, but the rigors of rolling down the hwy.  You WILL experiance failures of systems; it’s the nature of the beast.  Most will be simple fixes. This forum is an excellent resource, so pray for cell service while on the road! ;)
    TV- '16 Chevy Colorado LT Crew Cab-DuraMax
    2018 320S Outback
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,489
    @Gizmo, what other problems have you had with your Tab?  As 4ncar noted, properly leveling your Tab will take care of the condensation.  Using the air deflectors on the outside of the AC vent will help prevent the AC from recirculating hot air and let it run more efficiently.  You may see water run out from under the Tab.  That is the condensation running down and exiting the tube. You may want to do a search on the AC as owners have replaced it with another unit.  Do you have the Danby?  
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    tabiphiletabiphile Member Posts: 426
    The AC on your vehicle also drips condensation from the AC...by design condensation is a byproduct of AC cooling and more prevalent with high humidity/wet bulb. With your car the same thing happens but you probably are not as aware of it because the moisture wicks away as you drive. If you stop for a while and keep the AC running you will notice a wet puddle under the car. Take a look next time you go out for a spin.
    Even of you install alternative AC you'll still be dealing with the condensation...so the advice to make sure that your AC is properly venting it is spot on.
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    edited June 2018
    Gizmo said:
    Thanks @4ncar ... it IS frustrating. I just can't believe all these problems in just two and a half weeks of ownership. 
    Welcone! Sorry to hear your first outing was a little frustrating for you. I remember when I had my first a/c leak. I really did not understand window a/c's but have since learned that they are giant dehumidifiers and that moisture has to go somewhere. In the T@b, you will find being level and slightly down towards the fron driver side will allow your drip pan to drain properly. It really isn't a leak going on, it is your drip pan overflowing.

What else is going on? You will find this forum more than happy to point you in the right direction!

By the way, a dealer walkthrough tends to overwhelm people with information when done properly. It might be helpful to read through the manual for the T@b and the appliance manuals now that you have had the T@b and are a little more familiar with it.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014