Options

New Owner - - early modifications

MuttonChopsMuttonChops Member Posts: 1,594
edited March 2018 in Modifications & Upgrades

New 320S Owner - - early modifications/additions before the Shakedown Trip.

1. Mounted a Hopkins 09715 Hitch Level in front of the Jack post.
2. Added a small width angle iron to rear edge of Tub Lid so plastic does not sag.
3. Installed 10W Solar Panel on Tub Lid with a 20W controller on bottom side for battery trickle charging.
    Mainly for when T@B is at the RV Storage lot.
4. Mounted Spare at Jack post. {no Outback rear rack on my custom build unit}
    Front spare mounting increased the tongue weight by ~ 45 pounds. {15-inch outback style wheel/tire}
5. 12V in-line switch pigtail to turn off television blue light on order.
6.  (forgot one) . . . before T@B arrived added a 12V Relay to TV 12VDC-to-Trailer circuit.
      So T@B won't draw down my TV starting battery at long roadside stops.

Not a bad start . . . will be Shakedown Trip ready soon.
Forum has been a wonderful place for ideas and project how-to's.
Thanks to everyone.

White Tire Cover on Order.
Cable or Chain Lock to be Added

'18 320 Spitched axle, 3020HE; PNW based
TV: '17 Colorado V6 Z71 4x4, Tow Package, GM Brake Controller
Adventures:  51   Nights:  322  Towing Miles 41,200+

Comments

• Options
    hymiehymie Member Posts: 150
     Congratulations and looks like you are off to a great start! "modelling"... Are you using SolidWorks?
    James & Jacquie     Almonte, Ontario
    2016 Jeep Cherokee & 2017 T@B Outback
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    Great start!

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    hymie said:
     ... Are you using SolidWorks?
    Do wish I was using SolidWorks.  Used it at two different jobs.  As a Manufacturing Engineer not a mechanical design engineer my drafting/modelling skill was down in the 1-2 range on a scale of 5.

No way as a retiree could I afford Solidworks at home.
    Am using a free version of PTC Creo Element.  It's interface is Solidworks like.  Free version has some modelling limitations of course and limits each project to 60 part models.  Not a big deal for what iff'ing small boat, home, car, RV garage projects.
  • Options
    2Cougs2Cougs Member Posts: 905
    @MuttonChops - Another Washington State T@bber!  Welcome!  May our paths cross soon :)
    2016 T@B CS-S silver with white trim and WSU themed
    Pulled by a silver 2017 Chevy Silverado
    Leaves on T@bventures from Spokane, WA

• Options
    Is your 10w panel permanently installed? If so, could you post a photo? I have been thinking of how to permanently install my 10w. Flat is not ideal, but it really needs to be able to fold flat.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    jkjenn said:
    Is your 10w panel permanently installed?
    Yes, this is a permanent installation.  Solar Panel can lay down flat for travel or even high noon.

Installation was easy.  Just two WARNING points.

One.  Be sure panel is forward on the Tub Lid so when the panel is flat and you open the Tub, the Tub lid will fully open to 90-degrees.  If panel is too far back on the Tub lid it will hit the T@B front wall.

Two.  Be careful not to drill your solar panel screw holes into the solar panel material.

I have not highway tested this installation.  Seems to work well (stay flat for travel) around town including over speed bumps.

Set-up

Installed

• Options
    Thanks!

• Options
    RogerLRogerL Member Posts: 24
    Looks great!  What size u-bolts did you use and what is the red padding on them?
    2018 T@B 320CS-S, 2018 GMC Canyon SLT
    Urbana, MD
  • Options
    RogerL said:
    . . . What size u-bolts did you use and what is the red padding on them?

Standard hardware store U-bolt, believe they were 3.5 inch.  Measured Spare Tire Mount hole space before going to store.

Red Padding is about 6-inch length (each U-bolt) of 3/8 I.D. Air Hose. Was a pain to twist onto the 3/8 bolt but doable.  Used the Air Hose because of the red color, also considered marine fuel hose and clear tubing.  Just picked 'the one I liked most' from the selection at my local hardware store.

• Options
    gbellgbell Member Posts: 88
    Were did you purchase the attached 10 watt solar and 20w controller? Did the cable to the battery come with it?  
  • Options

gbell said:
    Were did you purchase the attached 10 watt solar and 20w controller? Did the cable to the battery come with it?  

Both items are from Amazon, other sources have similar products.

ACOPOWER HY010-12M Mono Solar Panel

Anself 20A 12V/24V Solar Charge Controller

Note:  Controller is Not waterproof.
              I mounted it on the bottom side of the tub lid
             hoping to keep it dry.

Only wire that was included was a two conductor wire about 3-feet long connected to the solar panel.  I purchased/made the controller to battery wire connections.

• Options
    MarcelineMarceline Member Posts: 1,502
    I use this Coleman 10w panel to keep my battery topped up. It doesn't require a separate controller and so far (5-6 months) it seems to be working fine.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006FW3G2G/
    San Francisco Bay Area
    2013 CS-S us@gi
    Battered but trusty 3.5l V6 Hyundai Santa Fe
    2015 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner Double Cab
  • Options
    edited November 2019
    While still a Newbie, am getting more experience with towing, camp site set-up, and 'my routine' for living in a T@B 320 S.  Have towed a little over 830 miles and as my signature says slowly adding trips/nights.

A second round of minor modifications has been completed since my must do before shakedown modifications (original post of this thread).

Here they are:

And one more, almost forgot since it seems to be a natural part of the trailer.
    Have added one of @Dalehelman's  fishing rod holder for Flag Pole . . . still need to adjust/modify for holding my flag pole of course.

• Options
    BrianZBrianZ Member Posts: 1,763
    Nice mods, @MuttonChops!
    Will have to add some of these to my "to do" list.
    Now you've got me wondering if there is any reason not to permanently mount stabilizer pads & save all that backbending trying to position them.
    Thanks for sharing.

-Brian in Chester, Virginia
    TV: 2005 Toyota Sienna LE (3.3L V6)
    RV: 2018 T@B 320S, >100 mods 
  • Options
    4ncar4ncar Member Posts: 1,072
    BrianZ said:
    Nice mods, @MuttonChops!
    Will have to add some of these to my "to do" list.
    Now you've got me wondering if there is any reason not to permanently mount stabilizer pads & save all that backbending trying to position them.
    Thanks for sharing.

...except for the need on uneven terrain...
    TV- '16 Chevy Colorado LT Crew Cab-DuraMax
    2018 320S Outback
  • Options
    HomebodyatheartHomebodyatheart Member Posts: 2,496
    edited June 2018
    @MuttonChops I’m copying your washer hook extender for the tv bungee! That’s a simple fix for a problem issue. I’m also glad you are having so much fun with your Tab! 
    2017 T@B 320 Max S silver and cherry red, L@dybug ("Bug" aka my esc@pe pod), TV 2015 Toyota Highlander aka Big Red
  • Options
    edited November 2019
    Minor Modifications -- Set 3

As my adventures and nights have increased many of the recent modifications have more to do with comfort . . . which is a good thing.

Best add has been the two Teak Grab Bars in/near the bathroom  Teak reminds me of my boating days while the bars themselves help one to forget the years are starting to add up, as in I can move about.

The 50% Shade Garden Screen has also been a plus on two recent 100+F days helping the little A/C keep up with the sun.

The small shelf added to the Driver Wheel Cabinet is currently only used as a temporary storage location, a place to get items like shoes off the floor while in the T@B.

Some Pictures:

See Note Below ** 1 **                                  

Note ** 1 **
    The aftermarket Solar Controller replacement should have been a simple 30-minute project.  Due to human error it became a 2-day ordeal.  If you're interested and missed the original thread on that one, try:
    https://tab-rv.vanillacommunity.com/discussion/7467/bad-day-mod-update-broke-dc-system#latest

• Options
    @MuttonChops I like the teak grab bars, but you might want to rethink the one inside the shower. I've been wanting to put one in, too, but after checking with NuCamp I found out that you have exactly a half inch from the left corner on the mirror wall to the right of 2x4 stud. Unless you found actual studs where you installed the handle, you have it screwed into a very thin wall that will not support weight when used. I used a long handled lighted mirror to look up between that wall and the wall the TV is on (from the bench seat side), and I didn't see any sturdy wood to attach an inside handle too, which is why I called the factory. The wall behind your outside handle is all 2x4 stud, ceiling to floor, so that's good. If I missed a good spot in the shower I'd sure like to know! Thanks!
    2017 T@B 320 Max S silver and cherry red, L@dybug ("Bug" aka my esc@pe pod), TV 2015 Toyota Highlander aka Big Red
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    @Homebodyatheart, there is a vertical 2x4 to the right of the mirror, as that is where I put my grab bar, but placed below the mirror. As you did before, look under the driver’s side bench for the location of this stud. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    edited August 2018
    @Verna I saw that, but it looked like a 1x3 (maybe). Is that inch enough to hold a grab bar securely? That's why I was trying to get someone to take a pic at the factory during UCamp of the inside of that wall. I also discovered that the bathroom mirror is not only held on with the 4 brackets, but also glue of some type. I wasn't brave enough to slice behind the mirror to remove it with glue involved. Thought about it, though!
  • Options
    @Homebodyatheart, mine was a 2x4. Take a look again on yours....I don’t have mine to verify ;)
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options

Am not sure there is any real 2x4 lumber in a model 320.  The 'Studs' and support lumber seem to be 1x2, 1x3 soft (light) wood.

Would assume the 'Stud' in the bathroom wall NuCamp is referencing is the 1x? that can bee seen in the Shower Plumbing Access space.  Picture below.

To mount the inside of Bathroom Grab Bar I removed the Tel-V to better inspect the wall construction and found there are 3/4 inch thick boards placed between the 'studs' to handle the Tele-V Mounting system & Tele-V weight.

Bathroom Grab Rail is screwed into those boards, which are behind the thin shower wall paneling.  Believe that will provide the strength needed.  Plus that Grab Bar is more for balance control while moving than dead weight lifting.

• Options
    @MuttonChops, mine was a 2014,and it did have 2x4’s in the bathroom wall. nüCamp made major changes in the 2016 and newer T@B’s with less and less natural wood in the T@B.
    Verna, Columbus, IN