Options

Dometic 2 burner won't stay lit

So we're on our third outing (like right now) at Sugar Pine Point campground at Lake Tahoe.  Have only had success getting the Norcold 3way fridge running on gas one time at home using all the tips I picked up here. So after we set up camp tried to get the 3way going on gas. Tried to light the Dometic burner - held down the knob in the lightening bolt position, burner started burned normally for about 5 seconds then went out. No gas was coming out when pushing on the knob. Propane tank full. Disconnected/reconnected the gauge at the lp tank. The burner fired right up, but again died after about 5 seconds of healthy flame (no yellow flickers), but died again.

I've done some searching and haven't found discussions about this behavior. I do recall something about altitude, but can't locate it right now.

Anything I should be trying "in the field"?
2016 T@B S - TV 2004 Toyota Sienna

Comments

• Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,500
    That sounds like an LP regulator pigtail problem.  I was just reading a thread I saved regarding traveling with an extra pigtail.

Here is the quote from Oct. 2016

“PXL has a good idea!  I have had a no-gas situation 3 times in our 2006 CS due to the pig-tail from the tank to the regulator going bad.  There is a high-flow safety valve in the pigtail for safety purposes that sometimes goes bad.  I now keep a spare pig-tail in my tool kit for such situations.

Good.  If the cook top works it is not the high flow safety valve in the pigtail.  I should have added that the high flow safety valve is inside the rubber pig-tail and is not visible from the outside - it is on the end that connects to the tank, not the regulator.  I don't understand how it works but when it goes bad, speaking from experience, you will not have any gas from the tank to anything.  I was told it was to prevent a release of gas in case the hose gets cut or otherwise damaged.”

@rajamar  Does your Alde work on propane?

Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    Wait.. the stovetop isn't staying lit? You'll have to have a long match or a gas BBQ long lighter. Keep your knob in the lighting position with the match or propane lighter. Wait to see if it stays lit. Count until 15 to be sure. Turn the knob to the high position. If I recall, you don't want the knob to pop all the way when you turn it to high. The stovetop needs to heat up a bit to stay lit. It only takes an air bubble to cut it off. Once you get one lit, make sure you get the other one lit. Wait until you don't see any flickers.

Does this help?
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    rajamarrajamar Member Posts: 112
    @SAM thanks - does indeed sound like a pigtail issue. But is there also some sort of safety shutoff in the main valve itself - like if you disconnect the guage with the valve open?

Never done any gas work, but if I locate a pigtail at a boat or rv type shop here in Tahoe is it just a matter of soap bubble testing the brass fitting?

Re: Alde - haven't used our tried it at all yet.
    However, I'm pretty sure no gas (beyond the first momentary support) is going anywhere. Out of curiosity I tried to light the Norcold 3 way on propane. When the mode knob is set to lp and the temp knob to Start all I hear is the tick, tick, ticking of the igniter. When O.j. press the red button the is no gentle "whoosh" of the gas flame - just continued ticking.

@Ratkity - we've used the cooktop on both of our previous camping trips to the coast using the method you describe - right down to the long lighter. This misbehavior is not just the flame blowing itself out. I can usually hear a slight hiss of gas - now it's just slight hiss, flame for a few seconds then out. Then no more hiss, no more nothing until I disconnect/reconnect the pressure guage.

Thanks to you both for the help.

• Options
     Gotta love auto correct: support = spurt
  • Options
    Can you take off the LP gauge?  Is it one with the pigtail?  Maybe there is a safety device in the tank that has failed.  I would take off the gauge first, then get a new pigtail, thenif no luck, exchange for a new tank.
  • Options
    Thanks - sounds like a plan. 
    Will let you know how it works out.

• Options
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    Before you replace the pigtail, trying this, that seems to help people at altitude:

1. Close the propane tank.
    2. Disconnect the fitting from the tank.
    3. Wait about 60 seconds.
    4. Reconnect the fitting to the tank.
    5. Slowly...barely opening at all, gradually opening the tank wee bits at a time. 

The link@SAM posted indicates to do essentially those same steps. They recommend dropping the tank. I have never seen that recommended before

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    skwheeskwhee Member Posts: 246
    edited June 2018
    @rajamar
    We agree with @jkjenn and wouldn't rush out to get a pigtail before running through a bit more troubleshooting. If the stove stayed lit for only fifteen seconds then went out and there are no sounds of propane flow you may be experiencing the effects of a safety feature on the tank. We, too, have experienced failure of propane flow a time or two when we opened the valve too quickly. Tanks manufactured in the last few years are equipped with a safety mechanism designed to distinguish between the user opening the valve and a valve failure. Thus the need to open the valve slowly.
    Hope this helps get your adventure back on track! Happy trails!
    Steve and Karen Cullowhee, North Carolina 2008 Ford F150 --2018 T@B 400
  • Options
    I've got gas! And a bad pressure valve.😁 Took it off - burners now OK. Still can't keep 3 way lit though. Will play with levelling later today. Thanks again.
  • Options
    @rajamar, bad pressure valve in the tank, stove, the gauge?
  • Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    Did you take that gauge off between your pigtail and the tank? Those cause more problems than not. It really doesn't work well because it's measuring pressure. That changes during the heat of summer and other temperature variations. 
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    skwheeskwhee Member Posts: 246
    edited June 2018
    @rajamar @Ratkity
    The best way that we have found to monitor our propane level is the Mopeka Tank Check. It uses ultrasonic technology to continuously monitor the propane level and communicates via Bluetooth to a smartphone. The magnetic attachment to the bottom of our propane tank has proven secure over thousands of miles and many a bumpy ride. We ordered ours from Amazon. 
    https://mopeka.com/
    Steve and Karen Cullowhee, North Carolina 2008 Ford F150 --2018 T@B 400
  • Options
    @SAM - very useful article. 
    @SAM,@Ratkity - removed the Camco pressure guage, attached pigtail to tank - burners started normally.
    @skwhee - thankfully my first troubleshooting step resolved the problem.
    The Mopeka tank guage sounds pretty useful - will add to our list of "necessities" for the T@b. The Bluetooth monitoring capability is very nice.
    Thanks again to you all - such a great community resource.