Options

Awning screen panel reviews?

ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,421
Has anybody here purchased (and used) the new PahaQue screen panel for the front of their T@b awning. If so, what do you think of it?

The black flies were pretty fierce on my recent trip (little buggers even figured out how to crawl past the screen door frame when I tried to hide inside...). I'm sure the panel would have helped, but with so much open space under the trailer, I wonder if it would help enough to justify its stiff price.

On a related note, I've pondered combining the panel with a homemade screen skirt that could slide into the T@b's lower keder rail. Any thoughts or ideas are most welcome! 
2015 T@B S

Comments

• Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    I guess if it solves your black fly problem it is well worth the investment as they are definitely biting, irritating little insects.  One other idea or thought might be to incorporate Velcro into the skirt screen along the underside of the frame.  Maybe that might simplify the process with a few strategically placed pieces of Velcro and sewn into some screen material?  Just a thought....  
    Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
  • Options
    Good thinking. Velcro would be simpler, at least for a prototype to see if the skirting is effective. You'll never get a fully sealed enclosure, but I figure if they're smart enough to crawl around the screens, they're probably smart enough to fly under the trailer!
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    edited June 2016
    Scott, we have the Thermarest tent which has the skirt at the bottom keder-rail. The difficult area to close up is on the sides near the Tab handles, between the upper and lower keder-rails. That area might be able to be sealed with stick on Velcro tape. The tent has so much tension there that it would be tough. We'll use paper towel wads there sometimes.

The other area that's not very well sealed is around the fender.

Otherwise, the skirt works well and the tent keeps the bugs out.
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    ChanW said:
    Scott, we have the Thermarest tent which has the skirt at the bottom keder-rail. The difficult area to close up is on the sides near the Tab handles, between the upper and lower keder-rails. That area might be able to be sealed with stick on Velcro tape. The tent has so much tension there that it would be tough. We'll use paper towel wads there sometimes.

The other area that's not very well sealed is around the fender.

Otherwise, the skirt works well and the tent keeps the bugs out.
    Chan, does the Thermarest tent have a floor like (I think) the PahaQue tent does?
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    TerryV6TerryV6 Member Posts: 1,092
    We have the screen for the awning and it's easy to put on.   It adds a layer of privacy,  but we found that if the bugs are out in force,  they will still get in and the screen kind of keeps them in then.    They end up buzzing around the ceiling... 
    Terry & Jody...  2016 Dodge Ram 1500
    2016 NuCamp 320 T@B Max S
    T@bbey  Road   
    Appleton,  WI

• Options
    PhotomomPhotomom Member Posts: 2,217
    If you happen to have electricity at your site, you can run a fan inside your awning. We did this Memorial Day weekend and the breeze kept the bugs away.
    John and Henrietta, Late 2016 T@B S Max in Western New York
  • Options
    Thanks for the input and ideas. I may save this addition until next season when I have a better sense of the need. I don't always have AC power, but I did on this last trip and could have tried the fan trick. I notice the beasts get "trapped" under the awning even without a screen panel!
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    @ScottG, it's a bug conspiracy! They are really tapping Morse Code to call others in for reinforcements! Those bugs are the "Red Shirts" of Star Trek. They will go to any length to get the message out that there are humans around to pester. BEWARE!!!! :bee:

2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    I knew it! They seemed far too clever and well organized to be just a random natural event (particularly when they figured out how to walk under the screen door frame to get inside)!  
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    Yes ScottG, the Thermarest has a clip-in floor, it clips at the four corners. It overlays a 'skirt' that comes down from the walls. The floor is optional, with the skirt lying on the ground, which is about 8" wide on the ground.
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    TerryV6 said:
    We have the screen for the awning and it's easy to put on.   It adds a layer of privacy,  but we found that if the bugs are out in force,  they will still get in and the screen kind of keeps them in then.    They end up buzzing around the ceiling... 
    I’m quoting myself....  is that even possible?  My head is going to explode....

Anyway, we have liked our screen addition to the awning.  We noticed that there was additional loops on the inside and we were thinking of some easy inside half circle shaped privacy sheet, maybe with a door cut down the middle and buttoned up.  Wife said, zippers? No way!  
    This way if we get up at the same time and want to dress, one could dress outside.  Guess who that would be?  Any thoughts on this idea?
    T@bbey  Road   
    Appleton,  WI

• Options
    I believe PahaQue also makes a solid panel for the front of the awning, though I'm sure it's pricey for what it is. We (meaning DW) ended up making our own screen panel, so you (meaning DW) could probably do something similar using ripstop nylon or other suitable fabric. It wouldn't even have to fit all that perfectly as it would be more for privacy than for bug exclusion.
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    Thanks Scott, I'll pass that on to DW. 
    T@bbey  Road   
    Appleton,  WI

• Options
    MarcelineMarceline Member Posts: 1,502
    ScottG said:
    Thanks for the input and ideas. I may save this addition until next season when I have a better sense of the need. I don't always have AC power, but I did on this last trip and could have tried the fan trick. I notice the beasts get "trapped" under the awning even without a screen panel!
    There are some pretty decent 12v fans out there. 
    I used this one last summer when I was boondocking in 100F weather: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01HO6BA1A
    San Francisco Bay Area
    2013 CS-S us@gi
    Battered but trusty 3.5l V6 Hyundai Santa Fe
    2015 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner Double Cab
  • Options
    That's pretty slick--I might like it for use in my TV as well. Any idea how much power it draws from the T@B battery?
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    MarcelineMarceline Member Posts: 1,502
    ScottG said:
    That's pretty slick--I might like it for use in my TV as well. Any idea how much power it draws from the T@B battery?
    Sorry I don't know. But I don't think that it was too awful because I was able to keep up with the draw from the fan and my 2-way fridge with my 100w solar panel. 
    San Francisco Bay Area
    2013 CS-S us@gi
    Battered but trusty 3.5l V6 Hyundai Santa Fe
    2015 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner Double Cab
  • Options
    Well, DW didn’t want to make the awning door.  This summer the Teardrop shop had a sale and we bought it instead.  Finally had a chance to set it up today at a Minnesota campground.  So far, we like it.  Here are some pics.  I probably have have to spend some time on the setup and stakedowns ....

T@bbey  Road   
    Appleton,  WI

• Options
    atlasbatlasb Member Posts: 583
    Not the answer to your question, but we found that once the little buggers are in the T@B grab the Dirt Devil hand vac and suck em up!  our Vac has a small extendable snout that is perfect to get the little guys.  Can't say much for it to vacuum any thing else.  The battery has the storage capacity of some politicians!  We got tired of trying to swat them or mash them (makes such a mess on the ceiling) .  Finally found a good use for the vac!
    2018 T@B 400, 2017 Nissan Titan Crew cab
  • Options
    For those just tuning into this old thread (or the forum) in general, it's worth noting that earlier this year nuCamp offered a retrofit kit for the screens. It includes some "fuzz" that goes between the screens and the frame, and some foam that goes between the frame and the wall on the front window. (Turns out there were some sizeable gaps there as well.)
    Although I didn't camp in a real buggy are this year, the new upgrades do seem to help considerably.
    Those with newer T@Bs probably already have the fuzz and foam installed. If not, there are a couple discussions here that will provide more info.
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    Well, we spent the last week in a Lake Elmo Minn campsite. We weren’t there to camp so much as to do the camper hotel thing.  We only spent nights there.  I have to say that I was very happy with our solid panel addition to our awning.  It kept the rain out ( it rained all week) and I loved the extra privacy as well the added space.  I tried our Little Heater in there and the 1 pound cylinder lasted about three hours and kept it tolerable.  One night I tried the q1000 grill and had no troubles, though next time we will close the tab door... I set off the smoke alarm.  I’m sure in the hot summer this would be cooker of an area.  At Ucamp it got hot and that was with no front.  I’ll switch to the visor next time...
    T@bbey  Road   
    Appleton,  WI

• Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,489
    The awning and tent really are nice when it rains.  Gives you an ante-room to remove shoes and raincoat.  @TerryV6, does your awning collect water like our tent?
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    No Sharon, we had no rain problems.  All was dry inside and no water pooling on the roof.  Our ground cover worked pretty well, though walking without shoes resulted in wet socks.  When we got home sadly, we winterized.
    T@bbey  Road   
    Appleton,  WI