Options

Security Accessories - recommendations

What would everyone recommend regarding security of the trailer whether parked on camping site, on driveway, or storage. - such as Coupler (Ball) lock, Latch lock, Receiver lock, Tire clamp boot. I think the combination of all is good - but what is the best, at a reasonable price? (lets not break the bank) I have been doing a little research online, but would like some thoughts - knowing that nothing is 100% fail safe. Please point me in the right direction for each...Thanks in advance.
SueBC
British Columbia, Canada

Comments

• Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,489
    Ours Tabs are easy to put a chain through the front frame and tow away.  A free deterrent is to always put your stabilizers down when parked (free).  Keep in mind that bolt cutters, sledge hammers and pipes are used to dismantle most of the easy, affordable devices that owners use, so sometimes you just hope to slow them down.  

Thieves that carry a big enough wrench can also unscrew the nut that holds the ball, so there are devices to cover/lock the screw/nut of the ball.  (RJ Lock)

I think an affordable minimum is

1.  a 5/8 inch receiver lock with a rubber cover over the key hole (check out the Silent Hitch Pin  https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ZYpLw4T1o8I  - acts to silence the hitch and locks the receiver and requires a thief to carry a small wrench)

2.  a tight tongue lock (can use a good pad lock for this)

3.   a wheel lock (Trimax is a popular brand)

4.  Locking lug nuts so they can’t remove the wheel with the wheel lock in place.

5.  Motion activated security lights if you park it at home is a smart deterrent.

6.  Good insurance when all else fails.

A more expensive option is the Brahma lock.

Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    4ncar4ncar Member Posts: 1,072
    I have a wheel claw with locking lug nut. If they really want the trailer that badly to get through that/those...insurance claim...
    TV- '16 Chevy Colorado LT Crew Cab-DuraMax
    2018 320S Outback
  • Options
    dragonsdoflydragonsdofly Member Posts: 1,925
    @SueBC, wouldn't expect you to break the bank, but if you're going to pay the price of a t@b, why not spend a reasonable amount to protect that investment. We have the brahma lock (wheel lock). It is a Canadian product and the manufacturer claims that no trailer with a brahma lock has ever been stolen. Those yellow or orange claw or clamp types will grind off or break if thieves can drag the trailer only a few feet. A sledgehammer defeats them with one whack. We also use a hitch and a coupler lock as theft deterrent back-ups. At home, the trailer is about 10/12 feet from my bedroom window and is behind a 6' high solid wood fence. You may not feel the need where you're located,  but we live in a very suburban environment, and are only 5/6 miles from the southern border of Detroit. There are videos posted here on the forum about the security of coupler, hitch and wheel locks. Good luck with all of your research. It's all part of the adventure. -Denise
    2017 t@b sofitel(Dr@gonsFly)TV 2015 Silverado 2500hd(Behemoth). Wyandotte, Michigan.
    Draco dormiens numquam titilandus.
  • Options
    maddmikemaddmike Member Posts: 137
    edited July 2018
    I honestly don't lock mine up. If someone really wants it they are going to take it anyway. I also ride motorcycles and can tell you plenty of stories of every type of security device and a bike still getting stolen.

I agree with Sam that stabilizers down is an easy deterrent and free (with purchase). Mine came with a wheel lock that is a pain to put on and take off.

I simply carry replacement coverage plus $5k for personal items.
  • Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,419
    edited July 2018
    This was a popular topic a while back--do a search and you will probably find several threads. IIRC, the ultimate proposal was a heavy chain with a heavy lock wrapped through both wheels and around the axle.

No, I don't do that. I have loking hitch pin that could probably be broken with a swift kick. I do deploy the stabilizers when parked in the yard, as much for stability as security. However, my level of risk--and risk aversion--are both pretty low. YMMV.
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    tabiphiletabiphile Member Posts: 426
    edited July 2018
    If someone wants it, they will take it...all security does is slow down the process and possibly discourage a thief by making the theft a nuisance.
    A word of caution about locking lug nuts..at face value they seem like a great idea but in reality they are prone to sticking and notoriously hard to remove even with the correct key. It would be a real bummer to have a flat and find out that you can't get your wheel off to change it because the locking nut is stuck or stripped ...as they very typically are.

One of the simplest things to do to protect yourself while towing is to remove the jack and jack wheel if you have one. If you stop and leave your trailer hooked to the TV, the chances of anyone taking off with the TV are really low unless you leave it running. On the other hand, with the jack wheel in place it takes next to nothing to use a die grinder to defeat your safety/anti-theft locks, lift the T@B off the ball and using your jack wheel, roll it behind another TV and take off.... without the jack and wheel in place it's next to impossible for one person and very hard for two people to roll the trailer away. If you have one of the removable jacks, removing the entire assembly is easy to do and makes it really hard to take off with your rig....
  • Options
    HomebodyatheartHomebodyatheart Member Posts: 2,494
    @SueBC I use a padlock on the hitch, have a tire Maxx lock I almost never use, but carry. I recently installed an RVLock replacing the stock door lock, but it could probably be pried out if someone was inclined. My favorite security item is the Spot Tracker Trace model, a GPS tracking system. It does have an annual fee, but when the trailer is moved I get a text and email. It has an app you can download. You can set it for different intervals of contact and it works. DH can follow my path when I camp with my gal friends. For me it's peace of mind for a big ticket purchase. Plus insurance, of course! Good luck!
    2017 T@B 320 Max S silver and cherry red, L@dybug ("Bug" aka my esc@pe pod), TV 2015 Toyota Highlander aka Big Red
  • Options
    SueBCSueBC Member Posts: 70
    SAM said:

Thieves that carry a big enough wrench can also unscrew the nut that holds the ball, so there are devices to cover/lock the screw/nut of the ball.  (RJ Lock)

Thanks for pointing that out - I was so impressed with the RJ Lock after looking it up last night, I have ordered one!.

Also thanks for the list - its great. I know nothing is safe, but I think adding a few deterrents goes a long way. Especially when spending this kind of money on a trailer. People will steal anything - I just like making it a little harder. 
    SueBC
    British Columbia, Canada
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,489
    edited July 2018
    Welcome.  We have the RJ lock and the Brahma plus receiver lock, tongue lock and lots of lights!
    Much of what you choose to use will depend on where you keep your trailer.  We live in an area of rising crime and do everything we can to prevent theft of our Tab and vehicles.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    HomebodyatheartHomebodyatheart Member Posts: 2,494
    RVLock has a sale right now: 20% off all locks and a second key fob for models with fobs.
    2017 T@B 320 Max S silver and cherry red, L@dybug ("Bug" aka my esc@pe pod), TV 2015 Toyota Highlander aka Big Red
  • Options
    dinzzydinzzy Member Posts: 180
    I use the Proven Industries tongue lock.  Heavy...I feel very secure!  I also have a wheel lock for added measure.  I really don’t trust people these days.  All kinds of knuckle heads are walking through RV parks and campgrounds.  
    Tow with a 2016 Tacoma TRD Sport, 2016 T@B CS-S Max