Classic Accessories Covers - 2.5 year review

db_cooperdb_cooper Member Posts: 726
edited July 2018 in Products and Accessories
We've had our T@b Outback for 2.5 years and in that time we've used two covers,  both from Classic Accessories. The first was the Polypro 3 product to fit a small Rpod.  It fit well over the rear rack, and I could get it all the way over the tongue for great coverage.  It lasted 11 months, and didn't make it through an entire winter.  All I can figure is that the constant rain/sunshine combo we get in the PNW just rotted the fabric.  I liked the cover, it didn't scratch the T@b, but it was very heavy.

I replaced it with the PermaPro version which claims better UV resistance as it is ripstop nylon.  I had high hopes for this one,  hoping to get 3 years out of it.  It is now 17 months old, and has started to rip in multiple places, and has formed lines that are easy to rip.  Pros for this cover are that it is much lighter, and did last longer, but factoring in cost per month, the difference isn't much, since it's a bit more expensive.  It did do a good job of protecting the camper.

Classic Accessories now make a more fitted version for T@bs in both materials.  I just installed the PermaPro one , it will fit an Outback model, but it is very snug.  It will cover the rear rack and propane tub, but not the coupler.  Since it fits snugger and will flap less in the wind, maybe it will last longer.   However, it is snug enough to probably get tears in some stress points. 

In any event, I'm averaging $100 a year to keep a cover on it, and I'm sure that's cheaper than paying for storage, and the protection is worth it. 

2015 Max S Outback | 2010 Xterra

Comments

• jgram2jgram2 Member Posts: 1,522
    @db_cooper It’s great to have real life comparisons, thanks
    John, Judi, Guinness & OD in PDX
    T@Bit@t 2015 S Max Outback, ‘18 V6 4Runner 

• hymiehymie Member Posts: 150
    @db_cooper Thank you! I was actually looking at this cover today and wondering about the fit on our Outback. Question answered without ever having to ask. Cheers!
    James & Jacquie     Almonte, Ontario
    2016 Jeep Cherokee & 2017 T@B Outback
  • db_cooperdb_cooper Member Posts: 726
    I hope others get more time out of them, but I thought it would be good to help set expectations.  They do have warranties, but they do not apply to normal wear and tear, just manufacturing defects.

• DougHDougH Member Posts: 1,110
    Every time we have a bad hail storm and our baby is in storage, the Classic cover gets some tears in it.  I don't know if that speaks to the strength of material, or to Texas hail.
    2021 Jeep Gladiator, 2021 tiny toy hauler, Austin TX
    Former steward of a 2017 T@B S Max

• robptrobpt Member Posts: 90
    I got the PermaPro version recently off of Amazon Warehouse Deals for $80. It came as if brand new and fits my 400 like a glove. It is one of the easiest covers to put on: just roll it up from back to front and toss it over the camper and unfold it down the sides. It claims to have a 4 year warranty, but I doubt that. So far, it seems to be giving the protection I need. I'll see how long it holds up.....
    North Florida T@B 400 towed by a 2014 Nissan Frontier
  • rfuss928rfuss928 Member Posts: 909
    I have the PaHaQue cover.  It seemed very expensive (~$500) when purchased.  It is about 7 years old now and shows no signs deterioration.  It is made of a very heavy waterproof cordura like nylon.   I do park under a roof because of the deep snow accumulation and weight it would subject the T@B to, but otherwise it is outside.  No doubt, less UV and wetness because of the roof.
    Not a directly comparable use but maybe the cost was justified.

• db_cooperdb_cooper Member Posts: 726
    I've been tempted by the PaHaQue, but I'm afraid it would suffer the same fate since ours is totally exposed to the elements, although I would expect it to last longer.

• I will never buy another Pahaque cover. They only last three years max before literally falling apart. I'm on my second one and and starting in year two it starts to shed off powder which is actually the fabric deteriorating. They get thinner and thinner every year until it just rips apart. 
  • ontheroadontheroad Member Posts: 485
    We have purchased a classic poly pro since the pole barn didn't get built...shortage of building materials and very busy builders..next year..have seen numerous ways on FB to help with ventilation and snow build up...will try adding the pool noodles under the cover and a tarp on top of the cover...Our amount of snow varies every year...hoping for less ice too...
    Former 2017 T@G Max XL
    2021 T@B Boondock CS-S
    2018 Nissan Pathfinder
    Ontario, Canada
  • CrabTabCrabTab Member Posts: 457
    We are in our third year of use with the Classic Accessories cover that was designed for the T@B. We purchased the cover in Sept, 2018. It is used most of the year to protect from tree sap, birds and the like. We are not in a heavy snow area (southeastern Virginia).

The cover drapes across the light bar, vent cover and Yakima racks. It is mostly free of the roof. We keep the trailer on the leeward side of a building and the cover taught. After three hurricane seasons there are no tears or wear spots. Standing on a two step work platform we use a push broom to remove occasional snow.

For us the cover has proven to be a good investment.

2019 320 Boondock Edge
     - Sold Jan 2022
  • BrianZBrianZ Member Posts: 1,763
    We got the Classic Accessories Polypro3 cover in the fall of 2017 for $88, so starting our 4th year of use.  It is showing some wear, but nothing broken or torn yet, though may need to replace it next year.  We just winterized, so about to put it on for the winter.
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01IU4BE6G
    -Brian in Chester, Virginia
    TV: 2005 Toyota Sienna LE (3.3L V6)
    RV: 2018 T@B 320S, >100 mods 
  • Kren325Kren325 Member Posts: 3
    Just bought an All Pro...spent a lot but I also spent a lot on the trailer (brand new, picking up on Saturday), just didn't want to take a chance here with the NJ winters (though last year was very mild).
    2021 T@B 320s (p/u 11/14/2020)
    2021 Subaru Ascent Premier
    Freehold, New Jersey
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 834
    edited November 2020
    A cover, any cover is a must whether it lasts a long time or not. My only issue with the covers is it rubs scratches into contact points on windows and the trim, but I figure though thats far less damage than what the sun and tree debris will do over time. 
  • SlackersSlackers Member Posts: 410
    @TabbyShack you said it.  Our 2019 CS-S features sharp back corners.  One ripped our new Classic Accessories cover last winter.  We'll patch the hole and attempt to pad the corner with pipe insulation this year.
    2019 Tab 320 CSS, 2019 Ranger TV, OH