CS-S two way Norcold

Before I start this thread, I need to point out that we LOVE our T@b... We LOVE that it is a clamshell... But we find it very difficult to find information specific to clamshells.  Even the "owner's manuals" do not address clamshells.  And although there are many extemely helpful threads, sometimes we need to compare apples to apples.

Our fridge quit cooling last month.  The light is on when we open the door, but the temperature never changes.  Usually when we are plugged in to shore power we can hear the fridge cycle on and off... But not now.  Looking at the two-way on line manual for NR740BB it says there are no fuses.  Should we assume it is the compressor?
2016 T@B CS-S silver with white trim and WSU themed
Pulled by a silver 2017 Chevy Silverado
Leaves on T@bventures from Spokane, WA

Comments

• hobbithousehobbithouse Member Posts: 25
    2Cougs, it is fused. Check the electrical distribution panel, driver side, below the bench seat just above the floor. (push the top of the door to open) It should be a 10 amp fuse. Look at the labeling for the correct position, top to bottom. Mine is the 2nd down from the top. Easy to replace. Hope this helps.
    2015 TAB CS-S
    2019 TAB400 2018 Toyota Tacoma 4dr trd off road
  • rfuss928rfuss928 Member Posts: 908
    edited June 2018
    If the light is on, the main fuse is OK.  I do not know any fuses internal to the fridge.

• broderiusbroderius Member Posts: 32
    Does anybody know a great non Norcold brand that would fit in place for the cs-s? There are so many fridges that keep going bad. 
  • maddmikemaddmike Member Posts: 137
    edited June 2018
    It won't fit in the spot of the current fridge but I just bought a Domestic CFX40W as I have heard good things.

It is about the size of a cooler and is AC/DC. My tab actually came without a fridge I I appreciate the right side storage space as my pantry and I use the left side for dishes. I was using a cooler but since I am camping so often, I figured it was time to upgrade. Since you have the CS like I do, the earth is your oyster as you don't have to worry about space since your kitchen size is almost infinite.

I you want to use the space provided, I would look at the Domestic product line. I saw a T@G at a campground and he had a Domestic pull-out fridge which seemed quite spacious. I don't know the model number though.

• 2Cougs2Cougs Member Posts: 904
    Thanks for all the comments so far.  If we do have a "dead" fridge, not so sure we will replace it.  It isn't that big anyway.  Agree with @maddmike- our kitchen size is endless.  Maybe we just make it a pantry and buy a dorm size fridge for about $100 and just plug it in to the side plug ;)

• mannymanny Member Posts: 108
    @2Cougs You said nothing now ..  Try giving the thermostat knob a gentle whack and see if it starts.  might be bad thermo. Was appl. tech for 38 yrs.  seen a lot of weird stuff..  good luck Manny
    2017  T@B CS-S Max ...  2020 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E
    Here is how the T@B CS looks without a built-in fridge by the way. Another drawer and cabinet that actually fits all my dry goods and cooking utensils.

I'll let you know how the fridge that I posted above works out. Plan is to travel with it inside the door on DC power (I ordered this to set that up: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B075KF1K84/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1).

Once I arrive, the fridge/cooler comes out and gets placed where needed--either as a drink table or back by the kitchen--running on either AC or DC depending on hookup conditions.

@maddmike- Wow!  Thanks for the pic!  That really shows the possibility.  Keep us posted on how that works.

• RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    @madmike Let me know too! That wire is only 16 gauge. I think for the length, it should be 12-14.

I just had a 3 block 12V outlet put in the back of the truck bed (weather resistant, but have tonneau cover). I want to use it for the ARB cooler. That fused wire that goes to the battery is 12g. 

Just watch how hot the tip of the 12V plug is getting or how warm the wiring is getting. 

Hope all is well and nothing goes awry, and happy camping ensues!!!! <3
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    The 15’ optional extension cable for the ARB fridge freezer is 10 gauge. I tried a 10 gauge 25’ cable once, using marine flexible cable, and it made the compressor “chatter”. I’ll stick to the recommended cable. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • BettyDBettyD Member Posts: 4
    Our fridge was replaced once already. It never worked when it was delivered. The new fridge worked on a trip 2 weeks ago but not this trip. Light is on not cold. Called our dealer to get it replaced or come up with a new option. Like the cupboard space and ac/dc  option. 
  • dragonsdoflydragonsdofly Member Posts: 1,916
    @BettyD, welcome to the forum, the t@b family and congratulations on your trailer !
    2017 t@b sofitel(Dr@gonsFly)TV 2015 Silverado 2500hd(Behemoth). Wyandotte, Michigan.
    Draco dormiens numquam titilandus.
    edited June 2018
    Ratkity said:
    @madmike Let me know too! That wire is only 16 gauge. I think for the length, it should be 12-14.

I just had a 3 block 12V outlet put in the back of the truck bed (weather resistant, but have tonneau cover). I want to use it for the ARB cooler. That fused wire that goes to the battery is 12g. 

Just watch how hot the tip of the 12V plug is getting or how warm the wiring is getting. 

Hope all is well and nothing goes awry, and happy camping ensues!!!! <3
    You know, I did not even pay attention to that when ordering. Let me see what comes with the fridge as if the cable is long enough, I can run it from the outside cigarette lighter to the inside and just return this one. I'll also see what gauge comes with the fridge.

Another advantage of not having a fridge in the back is weight distribution. Really not the best place to put weight in a trailer. Inside you can put it over the axle or towards the front.
  • RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    It took me a long time to find an extension cord for my mini compressor that was 14g, but I know it's out there on Amazon. I only used it for the mini air compressor and it still got hot! Now, I'm in love with the Ryobi wireless air compressor. The long cord has come in handy for other things, but I do watch how hot it gets.
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • crampshawcrampshaw Member Posts: 16
    This Engel SR48 fridge was an easy replacement for our Norcold when it failed. https://www.engelcoolers.com/sr48f-u1.html If I remember right, our Norcold failed the same way as yours. I got some troubleshooting charts somewhere and with my voltmeter I tracked the failure to “bad compressor”. The Engel we installed has been quieter and more efficient. 
    @crampshaw, if I’m not mistaken, RZRBUG (a.k.a. Larry) had an Engle like, or similar, to your installed one and it made a world of difference to him in his T@B 320,  also.
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • crampshawcrampshaw Member Posts: 16
    That’s right, Verna. He bought an Engel after it worked so good for us. 
    @crampshaw- do you have a model number that fits?  Still don’t know status of ours... repair place wants us to bring in the plug.  There is no plug... it is hard wired ;)

Repair place called.... It is the thermostat.  Fixable.  Yay!

• ericnlizericnliz Member Posts: 4,437
    YIPEEEEEE! Glad it was an easy fix for you! :)
    2016 T@B MAX S-aka: WolfT@B
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.
    Eric aka: Lone Wolf  

Worried a little when they asked us to bring in the power cord... had to tell them there was no pronged plug... it is hard wired  :|

Or did the mean the 30 amp power cord for the T@B, @2Cougs?
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    Nope... we have T@b at home, they have fridge (what they wanted us to do since they have had it 3 weeks)