Options

Keeping T@B 320S From Getting So Hot from Sun

Just now it was 103.5F in my trailer while it is 82F outside (all buttoned up).   I have seen the temperature in there over 115F when opening up the trailer after being in storage.  What do you others do to help keep it from getting so hot in there and potentially damaging electronics and such? 

Do you keep something cracked open a bit to prevent the really high temperatures?  I also noticed this last weekend with the AC on full the temperature got down to like 76F due to the solar heat on the roof.

Anyone find a solar powered fan to help push some outside air in?

Anyone experiment with solar reflecting bubble wrap? 

Interested in your comments.

CincyKid
Cincinnati, OH

Comments

• Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    If you put a vent cover on your Fantastic Fan, you can leave the Fantastic Fan open all the time (search for Aero Flo on the forum).  Natural convection will allow the hot air to escape, although it will still be warm inside. I think my highest temp inside last summer here in Indianapolis was 101*.  

It would help to put a battery operated fan blowing from the floor to the roof.  
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    ColleenD2ColleenD2 Member Posts: 411
    Wow! I never thought of this. Verna, even when you store it with a cover?
    2019 Custom T@B 320 U Boondock Lite-ish
    We slept in 34 states, 2 countries & counting.

• Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    Yes, @ColleenD2, your cover is breathable so it will allow air to escape. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    CincyKid said:
    Just now it was 103.5F in my trailer while it is 82F outside (all buttoned up).   I have seen the temperature in there over 115F when opening up the trailer after being in storage.  What do you others do to help keep it from getting so hot in there and potentially damaging electronics and such? 

Do you keep something cracked open a bit to prevent the really high temperatures?  I also noticed this last weekend with the AC on full the temperature got down to like 76F due to the solar heat on the roof.

Anyone find a solar powered fan to help push some outside air in?

Anyone experiment with solar reflecting bubble wrap? 

Interested in your comments.
    Interesting that you bring this up. I picked up some of the mylar bubble wrap (Reflectix) and plan to make inserts for the windows for storage and maybe on the road. I am also in the process of getting the Dale Helman windiw guard together and may add reflectix ro tge underside of the corrugated plastic for extra cushion and sun protection. I spend a lot of days driving due west and the mid afternoon sun really beats down.

I have also thought about using either a Kelty Noah tarp for shade or even buying an aluminet breathable sunshade tarp for extra protection.

Window awnings and using some type of sunshade in the keder also provides some extra shade and cooling when you are camping, but I have wondered if the front is getting full sun in aluminet covering the front could help. Someone in the FB group says she swears by them for dog shows.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,489
    @jkjenn, you were reading my mind.  Just yesterday I searched aluminet!  More for draping the driver side of the TaB using the keder rail, cord and stakes.  I have some heavily insulated fabric that I used on old house windows that I plan to use for the TaB window covers.

Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    edited June 2019
    Here is our 90% shade cloth tarp.  DH made the classic Tarp Trackers using 1 inch aluminum spacers, 1/8th inch braided nylon cording, and 1/4 inch washers.  The binder clips placed on the inside edge of both end grommets keeps the cloth from creeping towards the middle.  No problems with ventilation, AC runs without problem.

I think if you had a big enough piece of shade cloth, you could attach it using the keder rail on the door side and throw it over the TaB with the fan vent open, like a Tab comb over!  If you use the keder rail on the door side, you could just tie it to the handles.  I’ll bet it would help keep the TaB cooler and reduce the work of the AC.

• Options
    BrianZBrianZ Member Posts: 1,763
    I do what Verna said, plus now that we have the infinitely variable fan speed control mod, I leave the vent fan on a very low speed setting in hot weather, with the windows latched slightly open, regardless of whether the cover is on or off.

-Brian in Chester, Virginia
    TV: 2005 Toyota Sienna LE (3.3L V6)
    RV: 2018 T@B 320S, >100 mods 
  • Options
    HomebodyatheartHomebodyatheart Member Posts: 2,494
    Another option... 
    This cg didn’t allow stakes of any kind so I used ball bungees and towels wrapped around legs and attached to the back side of the Tab. This kept it from taking flight and did cool it down some. Any 10x10 awning works. 
    2017 T@B 320 Max S silver and cherry red, L@dybug ("Bug" aka my esc@pe pod), TV 2015 Toyota Highlander aka Big Red
  • Options
    VikingsVikings Member Posts: 147
    When not in use we leave our T@B top vent open a couple of inches, plus we leave all 3 windows open but locked in first slot out from travel position.  So we get air in the windows (though still locked) and air out the top vent.   Shades pulled up almost to top but about 1-2 inches of screen exposed to again allow for air flow. 
    this seems to work in 90 degree weather.  We also leave it this way when winter storage tarp covers the whole thing.  
    Kim & Mary Kay,  2016 CS-S,  Spokane, WA

Map of Provinces I Visited

• Options
    edited July 2019
    Just wanted to report on the results of our recent attempts to control temperature.  We traveled to Assateague on the Maryland shore and I placed Reflectix in all 3 TaB windows on the way there.  The TaB inside temperature equalled ambient.  I removed the Reflectix on the return with the same result - so, it did nothing for us.  I guess the roof and walls are a major heat sink.  

In the blazing sun of Assateague State Park Campground.  We covered the TaB with our 10 x 10 canopy and secured 90% shade cloth to the canopy on both the drivers and passenger sides.  We covered the galley with our sun shelter.  The shade cloth provided a welcome relief to the sun and felt cooler, but the inside of the TaB again equalled ambient - high 80s to 90s.  Thankfully it cooled down at night and with a couple of little 12 v fans we had comfortable nights in the mid to high 70s.

I think a canopy with a more reflective material may be beneficial.  The ARB was able to keep a frozen jug of water for 7 days and used very little amps to maintain.  We used some closed cell foam layered just under the ARB lid.  Lined the Coleman cooler with Reflectix, too.  No surprise that the solar kept up easily!

• Options
    TerryV6TerryV6 Member Posts: 1,092
    Very interesting testing idea!  Thanks!
    Terry & Jody...  2016 Dodge Ram 1500
    2016 NuCamp 320 T@B Max S
    T@bbey  Road   
    Appleton,  WI

• Options
    ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    I've looked into shade cloth a bit, thinking it would be nice to put over the back of my pickup for the dog, while I'm in a store shopping (to keep the dog police at bay). 

@Sharon_is_SAM, isn't there a lighter colored cloth, that will reflect the heat/sun better? It looks like your example is very dark. Thoughts?
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    Ours is a 90% black.  There are a lot of variables besides color that factor into the results of the fabric.  I can tell you that it felt 10 degrees cooler under the shade cloth.  It sounds like air movement factors into heat dissipation.  Sounds like aluminet may work best, but at 4 x the cost.  Here are a few resources - tough to get a nice, succinct answer.

https://eplaya.burningman.org/viewtopic.php?t=68620

https://www.cheaprvliving.com/blog/using-shade-cloth-desert/
  • Options
    mrlynch1953mrlynch1953 Member Posts: 40
    i initially had trouble keeping mine cool.  I'm in DE, MD, FL and everywhere in between so it can get pretty hot.  I started off but cutting a car window reflective shade to fit in the front window of my 2016max-S.  Its really cute; first I had minion eyes but that one broke down over time in the baking hot sun.  Seal the edges with tape where you cut or when it falls apart pieces fall out and go everywhere.  The front has such a big window that I've found this little mod really helps keep it from baking when the sun bears down on that front.  Also, I wasn't able to cool down below 82 until i started running a fan inside.  I always run the fan from the front kitchen counter.  I've experimented and this is what works.  Now I can get it down to 70 and even less.  But I'm mindful of RV techs telling me that a RV AC can only take down 10-15 degrees from the outside temp.  In some of my RVs I seem to have a good one bc I can get to 72 when it is 92, but I've been in others (like, forget getting cool in a 5th wheel with only one rear roof AC!) that just couldn't cut it. With these two simple tricks, it works for me in the TAB.  Oh, and the FIRST thing I did when i got this one was to have a ceiling shrowd/fan installed.  When I'm not running the AC i keep that open ALL of the time to vent the RV.  Even in the winter when it is covered.  I thought it would help with moisture and mold to keep fresh air/ventilated, and so far it's in good shape, even after the winter!  I also have my PahaQue tent on the front so that helps with bright sun on that side.