Acopower 120W Portable Solar Suitcase

Anyone familiar with Acopower? Sells on Amazon for $319.  Twenty-one 5 star reviews.  VERY lightweight!  Is there a great difference between a 10A and 20A charge controller?  Debating between this one and, of course, the Renogy.  Weight is a big factor for me... I can barely lift my generator onto the Outback platform.
2017 white/black trim T@B Outback; 2017 white Subaru Outback; Seattle

Comments

• pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,604
    edited July 2018
    The 10 amp controller seems fine with that setup. Keep in mind you can find flexible panels that weigh only 5 pounds, but that Acopower looks like a nice simple kit. 

Here is the Acopower spec sheet (check to make sure I found the same one as you are looking at!)  The "short circuit current" is on page 6.

Step 2 – Current capacity

Select a charge controller that can handle the maximum output current of the solar panel (or solar array). The maximum possible current that a PV panel can generate is the “short circuit current,” indicated as Isc in the panel’s label or specs sheet.

It’s recommended to include a safety factor for isolated events as well. For example, a solar panel with a LSC of 7.89 amp could potentially produce an extra 25% on a sunny day with very clear snow pack. (additional light reflected off the snow). This results in a possible maximum of 9.86 amp (7.89 x 1.25 = 9.86 amp). In this case, a 10 amp charge controller would be recommended.

2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
  • HomebodyatheartHomebodyatheart Member Posts: 2,491
    @Seaduster I tagged the same one, 120w right? I really want to have solar available but wouldn’t use
    it much of the time unless I’m dry camping. I really want it more for back up for the Tab at home
    if we have an extended power outage again. They don’t happen often, but last time it was nine days mid-November 2015 with no electricity. Maybe it will be on sale Monday on Prime day?
    2017 T@B 320 Max S silver and cherry red, L@dybug ("Bug" aka my esc@pe pod), TV 2015 Toyota Highlander aka Big Red
  • SeadusterSeaduster Member Posts: 147
    Hi, Becky... yes, 120W.  I'll be watching Prime, too.  Id like to extend my 3 day no-hookup trips a wee bit longer.  72 hours is the max my battery/propane will power the fridge.  I like the fact I could hang this solar panel from the Yakima rack.
  • rfuss928rfuss928 Member Posts: 908
    edited July 2018
    I purchased an AllPowers 80 watt portable solar panel to supplement the 136w fixed to SUNT@B's roof.  It folds up to a package about the size of a small cereal box is very light.   They now are available in 100w for ~$200.
    Some nice built in features like USB and laptop charging ports. 

Have fun!
    Bob

• DougHDougH Member Posts: 1,110
    We have a couple GioSolar panels VHB mounted on top, and with all the hail storms we may have picked up the delamination / moisture intrusion issue.  After a rain I won't get back up to 20-30V for two or three days.  Looked at some other Amazon offerings on flex solar panels in anticipation of Prime day.  One said weather resistant for "tender rains".  :) That's one of the many ways the suitcase panels are better than permanent mountings... they don't have to be out in the less than tender rain and hail. 
    2021 Jeep Gladiator, 2021 tiny toy hauler, Austin TX
    Former steward of a 2017 T@B S Max

• dvgibsondvgibson Member Posts: 33
     I just purchased the Acopower 120W Portable Solar Suitcase and have been playing with it for a week and like it. For one is "new technology", monocrystaline silicon which is the highest efficiency solar cell right now, and very light. Only 8 lbs for the 1/4 square meter panel. I put the controller in a plastic storage box with a 7 blade trailer socket on the side and so I can just plug the T@B 400 in. I found that on sunny days, peak from 10:00 to 3:00 in my yard it keeps up with the fridge and the Jenson phantom draw. 
    T@B 400 2018 Tacoma TRD SR5
    @dvgibson. Thank you... so glad it's working for you.  I'm going to call Acopower tomorrow and confirm that I can use an adapter to plug into the Zamp port on my 2017 T@B.  Don't see any reason it shouldn't work like the Renogy and others.
    @Homebodyatheart.  I called Acopower this morning.  Their solar system will not be included in Amazon Prime.  They will provide their own adapter from the solar system to the Zamp port free if you ask for it.  They have a YouTube video showing how to attach the adapter...  http://youtu.be/L7RhTmR14Uc.
    @dvgibson how long is the cord that comes with it, and do you feel the need for a longer cord?
    2017 T@B 320 Max S silver and cherry red, L@dybug ("Bug" aka my esc@pe pod), TV 2015 Toyota Highlander aka Big Red
    I think she said they came in 5, 10 and 15 foot.  I asked for 15'.
    Thanks @Seaduster! I ordered the 15’ cord. I think plug-n-play will be my friend! 
  • ericnlizericnliz Member Posts: 4,437
    @Homebodyatheart, OMG, OMG, she FINALLY took the solar dive! :rofl: You'll love it! I just did 4 days on solar & never have regretted getting my panels, but I boondock more often than you.  =)
    2016 T@B MAX S-aka: WolfT@B
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.
    Eric aka: Lone Wolf  

• ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,391
    edited July 2018
    Always go longer if possible. Cables can be coiled, but they sure can't be stretched!  ;-)

I've been in places where I had to set my panel almost in the road (nearly 40') to get it out from under the trees.
    2015 T@B S
    Thanks @ScottG. My plan as of the moment is to try it with the 15' and see how that works. 

@ericnliz...wonders will never cease, will they? :rofl: This was the big ticket item on my list for this year. Last year was the trailer and all the doo-dads. Now to book some more trips SOON! 
    @dvgibson would you be able to post pics of your cover box and new outlet, including pics showing how you attached the adapter? Thanks!
    @Seaduster I’ve got the 15’ cord fixed and wired into the controller and everything works! Thanks!