Options

Upgraded to 400, now upgraded TV

maddmikemaddmike Member Posts: 137
edited July 2018 in Trailer & Towing
We purchased our '16 CX-9 Signature new as our previous X5 diesel could pull stumps out of the ground but once it went out of warranty it seems like something broke that cost $1,500-$2,000 every month. I sold my race car and trailer so I no longer needed the ability to tow 7,500lbs. The CX-9 is rated for 3,500lbs which was enough for our needs when we  purchased it.

The Mazda was a great driver and the signature was close to the quality of the Germans--but not quite. After almost two years with it the interior was showing a little bit more wear than its German counterparts.

We used it to tow our 400, baby and baby stuff, three large dogs, food tents and supplies up into the mountains of NC. While it did what it was told, it was not optimal and I would not want to do longer trips as there was a couple white knuckle moments. I also have a boat that with fuel and the trailer, probably weighs about 3,000lbs. Add whatever water is in the transom and passengers...

Needless to say, I started looking for something that is comfortable, reliable, has all the bells and whistles that we are used to (lane departure, blind spot, radar adaptive cruise, AWD for beach trips and winter, etc.) I looked at trucks like the GMC Yukon but new with features/creature comforts that we wanted was more than we are willing to spend. Used, the interiors don't seem to hold up too well and start to look pretty plasticy and have a few nagging issues. Also, a bit too big for my wife as a DD. I always wanted a Land Cruiser--just because. I was unable to score a deal on a late model and it is probably also a bit too big. Toyota 4Runner: new ones are ugly as sin and used hold their value well but are a little more down-market than I was looking for. Jeep brand has left a bad taste in my mouth. Mercedes has reliability issues and Porsche has huge service bills (I had one till the baby came along).

I finally decided on the Lexus GX 460 Luxury as it has the self-leveling suspension and anti sway control and comes loaded with the stuff I was looking for and can tow 6,500lbs. Toyota reliability with the 4WD system on the Land Cruiser. I was able to score a pretty decent trade-in and deal on a '16 CPO with my local Lexus dealer. This thing is a beast and I need to get used to driving a body on frame truck again. Yes, it drinks gas but we have E15 available locally which it actually runs better on (reportedly). Interior is beautiful and heated and cooled seats are a boon for long trips. I will miss the sportiness of the Mazda but I still have a Golf R and a couple motorcycles to scratch that itch.

Anyway, pretty happy with my purchase. Sorry for the long post. Just happy to solve my TV issue and have some peace of mind when towing.

Comments

• Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    Wow!  That’s some trip to get a new tow vehicle. I’m not familiar with that line of Toyota, but I’ve had good luck with my Tacoma.  Good luck with with your travels. 

Oh yeah....NPDH.....no pictures didn’t happen ;)
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    Verna said:
    Wow!  That’s some trip to get a new tow vehicle. I’m not familiar with that line of Toyota, but I’ve had good luck with my Tacoma.  Good luck with with your travels. 

Oh yeah....NPDH.....no pictures didn’t happen ;)
    You are right, will get some pictures tomorrow.

So the GX 460 is on the same chassis as your Tacoma except with a V8 and better interior but similar off-road capabilities.
  • Options
    4ncar4ncar Member Posts: 1,072
    @maddmike I went through a similar gyration last fall and ended up with a ‘14 Jeep GC summit diesel.  All the bells & whistles, and as you know, pull like a team of Clydesdales. I “hear” of these reliability issues with jeeps, and maybe I’m just lucky, but knock on wood...I’m clear. I have 2: ‘09 4 door rubicon, and the GC. Both with over 100,000 miles. 

I’m glad you found your perfect truck.

btw...I’m jealous of your R, I had a ‘16 GTI which I loved, and am sad I sold it. I too have a race car, it’s for sale, wanna buy another? ;)
    TV- '16 Chevy Colorado LT Crew Cab-DuraMax
    2018 320S Outback
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    4ncar said:
    @maddmike I went through a similar gyration last fall and ended up with a ‘14 Jeep GC summit diesel.  All the bells & whistles, and as you know, pull like a team of Clydesdales. I “hear” of these reliability issues with jeeps, and maybe I’m just lucky, but knock on wood...I’m clear. I have 2: ‘09 4 door rubicon, and the GC. Both with over 100,000 miles. 

I’m glad you found your perfect truck.

btw...I’m jealous of your R, I had a ‘16 GTI which I loved, and am sad I sold it. I too have a race car, it’s for sale, wanna buy another? ;)
    No money left for race cars. I have a baby now. I keep the motorcycles for the track. I do love the R and I did do a stage 1 APR upgrade to wake it up. Mine is also a '16. I sold my 911 when the baby was born as I needed four doors. I know, not much of a trade but it is a manual. My wife drives it to work on occasion and get props that she knows how to drive a manual. I actually get more conversations started with the R then the 911 as kids always want to talk to me about it.

Jeep made me angry when they had a mandatory recall and had to keep my vehicle for three days. When I asked where my loaner was, they sent me to Enterprise to rent a car. I had other issues too but that was actually the first new car I ever bought and I traded it in for an Infinity after less than a year. Let's see how the Wrangler pickup come out. I did briefly look at a Summit but the dealership did not want to play ball. Off-road ability is important to me and Jeep and Toyota are the top of the hill right now in that regard.

I love talking cars and motorcycles. I know this is the wrong forum.
  • Options
    HomebodyatheartHomebodyatheart Member Posts: 2,496
    @maddmike check out the Idle Chit Chat thread, or ask @Verna to make one for motorcycle and race car chatter.  :)
    2017 T@B 320 Max S silver and cherry red, L@dybug ("Bug" aka my esc@pe pod), TV 2015 Toyota Highlander aka Big Red
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    After weeks of “repairing” the contents of these categories, please no more additional categories!
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    @maddmike I feel your elation at finding the "right" feeling vehicle for you and able to adeptly handle all the things you'll encounter. You sound like you hold onto good vehicles for a long time. Just like me. I did the exact same thing at the end of April. I bought a 2018 black crew cab F150 Lariat. Never been happier. I put a chrome grill guard on him and a black leer tonneau cover. I have to go get pictures when he's clean!!! I think it's a "he". The camper and the bike is a she. I was going to call him "Reboot" or "R3B007" (for the geeks) or "Restart". Something similar. My camper's (toy hauler) name is "Afire". I have no name for my '16 Fatboy Special (black). I wanted something that matched "Afire". Sorry for the ramble!

Anyway congrats on your new TV!! I show pictures too. I swear, a bath is in order for it today. Then pictures. Those stupid tiny evergreen needles are falling everywhere!
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    Test fitted today. Tried a 3.5” drop but that was a bit too much. I think the 2” is pretty level. 

I tried to to take a video as when you pull the dolly wheel up you hear the air pump go and you see it lifting the trailer. I have to admit that I thought it was pretty cool, no more sagging in the rear affecting handling. I guess I’m easily amused. 

• Options
    My attempt at filming the self-leveling suspension. 

https://youtu.be/fm9bVgzlW_Q
  • Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    VERY NICE!!! w000h00!
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    dvgibsondvgibson Member Posts: 33
    Nice, we have now had two Lexus RX350's and love them but felt it was not up to the T@B 400 so got a new Tacoma TRD Sport and all that.  Its nice driving and nice interior but that GX 460 does look nice. 
    T@B 400 2018 Tacoma TRD SR5
  • Options
    DougHDougH Member Posts: 1,110
    That matches your 400 beautifully!

2021 Jeep Gladiator, 2021 tiny toy hauler, Austin TX
    Former steward of a 2017 T@B S Max

• Options
    DougH said:
    That matches your 400 beautifully!

Funny how that worked out. Not intentional. 
  • Options

dvgibson said:
    Nice, we have now had two Lexus RX350's and love them but felt it was not up to the T@B 400 so got a new Tacoma TRD Sport and all that.  Its nice driving and nice interior but that GX 460 does look nice. 
    I do love the Tacoma and they hold their value well and have great off-road abilities. I do wish they made a V8 version. However, I do need a SUV for my four-legged family. 

Headed out this Friday for a weekend getaway. I’ll let you know how it all works out and if the sway control lives up to its name. I will definitely have more peace of mind and less white-knuckle experiences. Also, with this understressed V8, I think my gas mileage will actually improve while towing. Highway driving with the CX-9 I was getting 12.6mpg while towing the 400. From Lexus forums, people towing car hauler box trailers are getting around 15mpg. We will see. 
  • Options
    rkj__rkj__ Member Posts: 641
    Nice choice.  It sounds like the best match to your requirements.

By the way, I loved the video where Motor Trend takes a Lexus on a rock crawling adventure.  For those who have not seen it.  Spoiler alert: it goes where pointed, but gets some battle scars.

2016 T@b 320 CS-S - 2018 GMC Sierra - St. Catharines, Ontario, Canada
  • Options
    Yup, it suffers from a low approach and exit angle. However, I have no rock crawling plans. More beach driving and rutted mountain roads and the occasional snow storm down here in the South. Should easily be able to handle that. Not much rock crawling to be had in NC.

Thing really is built like a tank with a wood and leather interior and a Mark Levinson sound system. I think my wife is a little afraid of it as she drove the Golf R to work yesterday but was forced to drive the Lexus today as her recent wrist surgery caused her pain shifting gears.

There is another video out there where they pit is against a LR4 and a Mercedes GL450 where they actually get it airborne. The Land Rover won that competition and the Mercedes was not competitive off-road. However, but the Land Rover costs 50% and has terrible reliability (albeit it is a cooler vehicle IMO). These things are way over engineered and go forever. Googling complaints about them brings up almost nothing and there are plenty of them out there with 250+ miles on them. Really, an old-school and heavy body on frame truck. I haven't towed with it yet but I'm pretty sure I will hardly feel the 400 back there. With the CX-9, it could wag and bounce the vehicle a bit.

In case of a zombie apocalypse, I will load the family into the GX and bring the 400 with me.
  • Options
    rkj__rkj__ Member Posts: 641
    maddmike said:
    Yup, it suffers from a low approach and exit angle. However, I have no rock crawling plans. More beach driving and rutted mountain roads and the occasional snow storm down here in the South. Should easily be able to handle that. Not much rock crawling to be had in NC.
    I think your usage is very much in line with the most a buyer would expect from a Lexus off road.  But, a buyer of a luxury vehicle often wants to have a level of comfort, from knowing that their vehicle can do more than they will ask of it.  Similar to towing actually.  It's more comfortable when you are below the vehicle's limits, not right at the max. 

I don't usually go rock crawling, but when I do, I make sure my skid plates get a workout!

2016 T@b 320 CS-S - 2018 GMC Sierra - St. Catharines, Ontario, Canada
  • Options
    rkj__ said:
    maddmike said:
    I think your usage is very much in line with the most a buyer would expect from a Lexus off road.  But, a buyer of a luxury vehicle often wants to have a level of comfort, from knowing that their vehicle can do more than they will ask of it.  Similar to towing actually.  It's more comfortable when you are below the vehicle's limits, not right at the max. 

I don't usually go rock crawling, but when I do, I make sure my skid plates get a workout!

Nice shot!

I do agree with you but everything is a compromise. I looked at quite a few different options and this one had the best combination of size, creature comforts, fit and finish, reliability, tow rating, off-road ability, etc. 
  • Options
    ADRawliADRawli Member Posts: 199
    We we just picked up our newest edition this past weekend and are already madly in love with the 400.  Like you, we didn’t really set out to “match”the T@B and TV, but we’re well pleased with the outcome anyway.  And the Trailhawk as a tow vehicle seems surprisingly capable. It may not be quite as refined as your Lexus, but it came very well appointed, especially given its chops as an off road vehicle, and should really suit our all around needs nicely. 
    Alan & Natalie       McKinney, TX
    nüCamp:  2019 T@B 400 Boondock Lite
    TV: 2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk 4x4    

Dream big... work hard... never give up.