Options

S Hook Safety Latch

tab17tab17 Member Posts: 14
While unhooking the chains I find the safety latch on the S hook extremely difficult to push back to remove the chains. Any suggestions to make it easier? Also, I acccidently pulled the emergency brake wire out. I pushed it back. It looks right and felt right going back in. I'm guessing if it's not right the T@B won't move?? Haven't moved Ch@rlee since then. Hitching is getting easier now that I have greased it (hitch). Thanks, for everyone's advise!

Comments

• Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    If your holes next to your receiver are like those on my Tacoma, move the clip up towards the bottom of your vehicle because the metal hole isn’t ‘t as wide and it’s easier to push the clip through. Practice, trust me, it gets easier. 

My hitch is is getting easier, too. 5 hrs to unhitch the first time to just 30 minutes last night. Trust me....that was a record!
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    HomebodyatheartHomebodyatheart Member Posts: 2,497
    A quick shot of silicone spray might help, but you want it fairly stiff.
    2017 T@B 320 Max S silver and cherry red, L@dybug ("Bug" aka my esc@pe pod), TV 2015 Toyota Highlander aka Big Red
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,497
    @tab17, if the brakeaway brake “key” is left out or inserted incorrectly, your electric brakes will be applied until your battery discharges to the point there is not enough juice to feed the brakes.  But, you are correct, you could not even roll the TaB manually if the brakes are engaged.  Our brakeaway brake key is very difficult to remove - DH has done it once.  We were assured this was typical, but it sure sounds like it should be easier to remove.  May need to test it.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    Verna... One time I  had to leave my TV in storage with my T@B when I couldn't  get it unhitched. How embarrassing. Daughter drove me home.  Getting better! How are your bumps and scraps? Better I  hope.
  • Options
     Verna, you crack me you!  :D
  • Options
    MuttonChopsMuttonChops Member Posts: 1,595
    Verna said:
    night I brought the 400 home, I spent 2.5 hrs trying to unhitch. After an additional 2.5 hrs the next day, . . . I ignored everyone driving by the house slowly....if I am their only entertainment,

Well it was the T@B 400 that had their attention.

While a few might have said, "Must have a special kind of hitch thingy to require that much effort" . . . but it's "still a Cute trailer."

'18 320 Spitched axle, 3020HE; PNW based
    TV: '17 Colorado V6 Z71 4x4, Tow Package, GM Brake Controller
    Adventures:  51   Nights:  322  Towing Miles 41,200+
  • Options
    @MuttonChops, after talking to one of my walking neighbors yesterday, my
    neighbors actually don’t realize I have a newer different camper!  Sure it’s obvious to we T@B owner’s it is a 400 Boondock Lite that is the newest and greatest, but to them it is a white and red camper, just like I’ve had for 3 years.  After giving dozens of tours last week at üCamp, I gave only my 3rd tour in my driveway yesterday.  
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    ericnlizericnliz Member Posts: 4,437
    @Verna, Sounds like your neighbors are easily entertained & need a lesson on T@Bology! ;)  Just an FYI, I still have issues with my hitch from time to time. I park in EXACTLY the same place in my driveway every time. Sometimes it hitches/unhitches like a dream, others...a nightmare.  :o Still haven't figured out why. @2Cougs have the same year trailer as do I. Even built the same month. Their's is a CSS, and they have the exact same issues as well. Lucky us, huh? :o:s;)
    2016 T@B MAX S-aka: WolfT@B
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.
    Eric aka: Lone Wolf  

• Options
    @ericnliz, it was a torrential downpour Saturday night and I had a scare. The jack wheel (which I hate) slipped in the wet grass and the driver side tire slid off the Legos. Whew!  No damage, except to that sinking feeling in my stomach. 

Two strong guys put their weight against the tongue as I raised the stabilizers, helped me hitch up and helped me move to the next campsite that didn’t have two angles to the campsite. The rear was stable, and the tongue jack was fully extended with the tire turned backwards on this site.  Much better. 

When I got home, I realized that if I put two Legos under the tongue jack, I could then use the “ foot”, instead of the wheel. Much better < sigh >, and safer for me. 

So, I just need more height to the bottom of the tongue jack, and the Legos are a great thing!  I’ll have to investigate that tongue length, and an adapter of sorts, or something to make that can stand up to all sorts of weather. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    ericnlizericnliz Member Posts: 4,437
    @Verna, I've only used the "foot" for the rare times I've need the extra height in the front. Glad everything came out unscathed. That would have scared the best of us, ESPECIALLY if you were INSIDE your T@B at the time! :o
    2016 T@B MAX S-aka: WolfT@B
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.
    Eric aka: Lone Wolf  

• Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    There is a donut thing you can put your jack wheel inside and it doesn't roll anywhere. Caveat is that you have to carry fairly thick wood blocks to raise the tongue higher if you need more than the jack can achieve. I never liked the wheel and stored it. I liked the foot. Guess there are feet peeps and wheel wanderers!
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    GibWGibW Member Posts: 95
    Ratkity...Agree, love the advantages of the foot. Can still move the tongue around if needed. 
    2017 T@B Max-S, silver & silver, towed by a Titanium Silver 2018 Kia Sorento AWD V-6, Twin Cities MN
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    Good invention, @SteveK!  I could have used that Saturday night!
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    GatorEggGatorEgg Member Posts: 451
    I managed a company which the employees pulled flat bed trailers with equipment on them.  Each morning before they left the shop all had to test the braking system by pulling out the actuator cable and try to move the trailer by hand to insure braking worked. 
    2022 TAB 400 Boondock, 2019 Toyota Tacoma Sport 4x4
    2018 TAB 320 Boondock (previous)
    Odessa, Fl.