Anti freeze for TAB 400

Do I need a special type of anti freeze to winterize the TAB 400? I heard that I may need boiler anti freeze rather than standard anti freeze because of the Alde system.

Comments

• ecstaticecstatic Member Posts: 65
    edited October 2019
    In the drivers side compartment that the Alde is in there is a bypass lever you can set so that no anti freeze goes into the Alde.  You can use whatever anti freeze is recommended for your climate/area.
    2020 T@B 400 BDL    2019 Silverado 5.3L V8
    Chili, NY
  • falcon1970falcon1970 Member Posts: 754
    The Alde system uses "Transfer Fluid" which is typically referred to as "Glycol" around here.  You do not need to do anything to protect the Alde lines.  While antifreeze, such as you would use in your automobiles, is also glycol, you should be aware that there are two distinct types of antifreeze glycol--Polyethylene Glycol and Ethylene Glycol.  DO NOT, repeat DO NOT, use ETHYLENE Glycol in your TAB.  It is highly toxic!!  Polyethylene glycol is used in laxatives, coke, and many other ingestible products.  In small doses it is not toxic.  You want to use a POLYETHYLENE Glycol antifreeze in your water lines and anywhere else used for potable water.
  • Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,461
    You need to empty your Alde water tank, too.  You do not need to use AF in the Alde water tank.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • TNOutbackTNOutback Member Posts: 633
    Typical RV antifreeze will be sufficient for your water lines, drain traps, and toilet bowl. No need to add antifreeze to your Alde tank unless you really feel compelled to do so; just make sure it is drained. The Alde glycol does need to be replaced every couple of years to ensure freshness; otherwise it can break down and mold. 
  • Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,461
    @greenjacket, if you plan to heat your cabin while you have AF in the Alde, you must find an AF that is stable with the maximum temperatures that the Alde reaches (as well as one that can be used in a potable water system).  If you don’t plan to use your 400 while winterized, you don’t need to worry about the maximum temperature, only the minimum temperature.  
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • TabberJohnTabberJohn Member Posts: 588
    The Alde system uses "Transfer Fluid" which is typically referred to as "Glycol" around here.  You do not need to do anything to protect the Alde lines.  While antifreeze, such as you would use in your automobiles, is also glycol, you should be aware that there are two distinct types of antifreeze glycol--Polyethylene Glycol and Ethylene Glycol.  DO NOT, repeat DO NOT, use ETHYLENE Glycol in your TAB.  It is highly toxic!!  Polyethylene glycol is used in laxatives, coke, and many other ingestible products.  In small doses it is not toxic.  You want to use a POLYETHYLENE Glycol antifreeze in your water lines and anywhere else used for potable water.
    Yes, I use polyethylene glycol when I need help flushing things out. :s 
    Doesn't RV antifreeze contain propylene glycol instead?

2015 T@B Max S (White/Silver) -> 2014 Ford Escape 2.0L (turbo, AWD, factory tow)
  • ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,396
    Yes, I use polyethylene glycol when I need help flushing things out. :s 
    Doesn't RV antifreeze contain propylene glycol instead?
    Yes, propylene glycol is the chemical base for the Alde recommended Century Transfer Fluid (as well as other "low-tox" antifreezes).
    It does beg the question as to whether a flush with polyethelene glycol might help to clean out the Alde prior to installing fresh antifreeze...  ;-)
    2015 T@B S