Options

Question for Victron Bmv 700 owners.

We are getting ready to order the Victron 700 for our 400 T@B.  Read a review the other day that indicated they loved the product but did find an issues with it.  I think it was the 712 model but not sure.  We don't need to inter face with the smart phone etc, just the info on the battery condition and useage .  The reviewer found that the indicator gauge has some drain on the battery over time with non use and it depleted the battery. Apparently, this happened with the battery turned off. Has any one had this problem.  When we are not using the the T@B, it is stored in our shop with a battery maintainer on. 
2018 T@B 400, 2017 Nissan Titan Crew cab

Comments

• Options
    pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,642
    edited October 2019
    This is what the 712 manual says about current draw.  Note that it appears to be less than 1 amp per month, so that reviewer either stored his camper for quite a looooong time or has another issue.
    Very low current draw from the battery:  Current consumption: 0.7Ah per month (1mA) @12V and 0,6Ah per month (0,8mA) @ 24V
    Link to the 712 manual where I found this. 

2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
  • Options
    falcon1970falcon1970 Member Posts: 754
    @atlasb
    Unless the 700 is significantly cheaper than the 712 I suggest you reconsider not using the app.  The app not only provides the opportunity for more information but is easier to read all the data.
  • Options
    1968Healey1968Healey Member Posts: 64
    Yeah, I’d only consider the 712 at this point.

WRT to battery draw, the battery disconnect switch is meant to be wired after the BMV-712, so it wouldn’t get turned off/disconnected via the switch.  It needs to be directly connected to the battery to get a reliable reading.

2020 T@B 400
    2019 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off-Road
    Seattle, WA
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,484
    @atlasb, we have a 150 amp AGM battery and the Victron 700.  After fully charging the battery, we leave the battery turned off and store it for 6 months.  With the Victron still powered (it has a wire that runs directly to the battery to run the display), the battery will still be 99% charged when we pick up the TaB in the spring.  If you have the large, Harris AGM battery with 235 amps, I see no reason to pull the battery over the winter.  You can safely leave it in place - even with the Victron operating.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    atlasbatlasb Member Posts: 583
    Thanks for the info. Kinda of what I thought about the small current draw.  We changed out the Harris battery earlier this season as it went belly up!  Have a 200 Ahr Interstate in now.  There is some amount of cost difference in the 700 and the 712 so still considering the difference and our needs.
    2018 T@B 400, 2017 Nissan Titan Crew cab
  • Options
    DenisPDenisP Member Posts: 538
    I recently installed a BMV 712 and returned from a 6 day 1500 mile boondocking trip and absolutely love the ability to view the Battery status from my phone. I find the gauge less useful compared to the app information and access. 
    2018 T@b 400, 200ah Lithium with Solar
    2013 Tundra TRD 5.7L
    Massachusetts
  • Options
    CbusguyCbusguy Member Posts: 771
    edited October 2019
    I agree with dennis the gauge is pretty useless.     

There are less expensive alternatives to the victron available on amazon.     They provide the same data,  without the bluetooth connection and the data logging functionality of the app.

I have a different manufacture and model on my solar for my workshop and it has worked just fine for the last year and a half.   

Good video regarding less expensive monitor
    https://youtu.be/tObHbsSDWeQ

2009 GMC Canyon,   3.7 liter 
    2020 320s Boondock lite, With Lots of mods
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    What the inexpensive monitor does not give you is ability to fine tune your readings based on your specific battery setup or to network between your solar controller and battery monitor to optimize your solar charging.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    rh5555rh5555 Member Posts: 487
    Both Victron products have a relay built in which gets energized when the state of charge drops below 50% (or whatever value you set it to).  The BMV-712 uses a bistable relay (so a short pulse of power flips its state) whereas the BMV-702 uses a conventional relay.  As a result, the BMV-702 power consumption is 3mA when relay is off, and 15mA when it is on; the BMV-712 is 1mA regardless.  I went for the BMV-712 and do not regret the choice.  The bluetooth app is more useful than I thought it would be.
    Roger and Sue Hill | 2020 T@B400 Boondock (Cryst@bel) | 2022 Land Rover Defender 110 - P400 | San Juan Island, WA