Options

First Winter With my Tab and I Have A Few "Blow Out Method" Questions

I've read everything that I could find on winterizing and since I'm in a location where the winters are pretty mild (Texas) I'm going for the "blow out method" to winterize. I understand how to do it, but still have a few questions.  

What kind of anti-freeze are you using?. I understand that I should look for "pink RV antifreeze" non- toxic, but the only one on Amazon that specifically says non-toxic is around $75.  

What are you using for blowing out the lines?  a 6 volt bicycle pump? or an air compressor, and if its a compressor your using, which brand and size? 

In the Tab manual, and also in the PDF for winterizing here, it says to "pressurize by turning on pump, but I thought that you should not turn on pump when the water tank is empty, so why would I turn it on? Is this really necessary? 

The PDF on winterizing says to "blow out the toilet flush valve" where is this valve?

Do I need to blow out the pump? or just drain

I've seen pictures of the Alde with the levers in "Winterizing Mode" Do I need to do this? 

Thank you 
North Texas
2020 T@B 320 S Boondock Lite, 2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 4wd, V6, Crew Cab, tow package 

Comments

• Options
    OneWurldGurl1OneWurldGurl1 Member Posts: 21
    I understand about where to put the antifreeze, drains, but what do you use to blow out? that's my question. thanks
    North Texas
    2020 T@B 320 S Boondock Lite, 2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 4wd, V6, Crew Cab, tow package 
  • Options
    VictoriaPVictoriaP Member Posts: 1,494
    I used a cheap Harbor Freight 3 gallon “pancake” compressor. A tire inflator could work, but as they’re less powerful I imagine it would take longer to fully pressurize the lines. Bought South/Win propylene glycol based RV antifreeze from Home Depot because it doesn’t have alcohol in it, which I’ve heard can dry out the seals in your toilet and sewer gate valves. 

Be aware that the type of adapter you screw into the city water outlet to pressurize may differ if you are using an inflator versus a compressor. A compressor typically takes a quick disconnect, while the inflator adapter resembles the inflation valve stem on your tires.

Setting the winterizing bypass for the Alde is only necessary if you are adding antifreeze to the water lines...the point of the bypass is to keep RV antifreeze out of the Alde hot water tank. If all you are doing is blowing out the lines, no reason to bypass.

The toilet flush valve referenced is the flush lever you use to, well, flush! 😁 With the system pressurized, pull the lever towards you until no water comes out.
    2019 320s BD Lite, white with blue (“Haven”)
    2015 Subaru Outback 3.6r (unsafe 200lb tongue weight limit until 2020 models)
    2020 Subaru Outback XT
    Pacific NW
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,528
    @OneWurldGurl1, we purchased the Viair 70P 12 v compressor for tire inflation on the road and for winterizing.  It can achieve 100 PSI and has a gauge to keep it under 50 PSI for our TaBs.

Get your pink, non-toxic antifreeze at Walmart or other discount store.  Get one with propylene glycol as the other one will dry out your rubber toilet seals.  

If you gave any water available to your pump, it will pressurize.  You should not run your pump for a long time dry - that will burn out a motor.  The purpose of pressurizing the system is to enhance emptying the Alde water tank.  It has been observed by multiple members that it drains better after you pressurize.  

You can’t blow out the pump due to a check valve.  Just unscrew both lines on either side of the pump and empty them and unscrew the filter and empty that and replace.  Some members add antifreeze to their pump as a precaution.

Just leave your valves in camping mode for your winterization process if you only add antifreeze to your drains, etc.  If you use bleach to sanitize, in the spring, you will want to bypass your Alde to avoid getting bleach into the stainless tank.  So we don’t forget to do this, we put our valves into this position over the winter and place a reminder message where we will see it.

Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    OneWurldGurl1OneWurldGurl1 Member Posts: 21
    Thank you VictoriaP and Sharon-is-Sam, your replies were very helpful. I now feel that I have enough info to winterize! yay!
    North Texas
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,528
    Yeah!  It’s not so hard.  Since you only do it once a year, it takes a couple times to remember all the details.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio