Options

400 inverter parasitic drain?

2»

Comments

• Options
    rh5555rh5555 Member Posts: 488
    There is a fuse for the fridge in the power center.  Have you checked if it is ok?  I assume you're getting power to lights, fan, etc.
    Roger and Sue Hill | 2020 T@B400 Boondock (Cryst@bel) | 2022 Land Rover Defender 110 - P400 | San Juan Island, WA
  • Options
    Tundra57Tundra57 Member Posts: 640
    @Denny16 I think we are talking at cross puposes. Yes when the inverter is off its not draining much. But if its on but nothing plugged in, it does have a parasitic drain of its own. So if you accidently keave it running it is a significant drain.
    Yes there is only sockets connected to the output which are powered by it. However, it has an internal transfer switch. So if you connected shore power to the inverter, it can use the transfer switch to drive any sockets connected to it with either battery power or inverter from battery.
    This is not how it is currently connected. Not sure when I gave you the impression I did not know the inverter has no connection to the inverter as wired.
    My plan for the future is to fit a higher power inverter and a transfer switch correctly rated. Then connect all sockets to it. Then It can run any socket or power from shore or inverter.
    I would not suggest to run the AC, but it would give me more power options. I already have 440Ah of battery, which could run my toaster or anything else at a pinch if only for a short while.
    Thanks for you input.
  • Options
    Dutch061Dutch061 Member Posts: 765
    edited March 2021
    Dutch061 said:
    rh5555 said:
    The reason the inverter is connected directly to the battery (not via the disconnect switch) is the magnitude of currents that flow when the inverter is being used.  For the 1200W inverter, the current can exceed 100 Amps, and the disconnect switch cannot manage that much.  Even if you put in a bigger switch, you'd still need massive wiring to and from it.

100% accurate, what could be done is route the wiring for the remote switch so that it is controlled as part of the "Master Perko" battery disconnect. That way, if you happen to leave the Inverter switched on by mistake but you shut the Perko off, it will also shut off the Inverter. I will look at my 2020 400 BDL over the weekend to investigate, but I think that can be easily done.

Brad

Sorry for the several months delay in responding to a method to eliminate this possibility. Unfortunately, the "control system" is not run through the Perko at all. In order to eliminate the possibility, you could use a solenoid designed for continuous use (not a starter solenoid) and use the Perko to activate the power to the solenoid which would control the power to the Invertor.

For my wife and I, I will just remember to turn it off.

Brad
    2020 400 BDL aka "Boonie"
    2022 Black Series HQ19 aka "Cricket"
    2021 F-250 Tremor with PSD aka "Big Blue"
    Concord, NC