Options

Couple Murdered while camping on the Gulf Coast

jpi68jpi68 Member Posts: 80
edited November 2019 in Camping & Travel
Has anybody read the recent story about the couple that was murdered while camping on the gulf coast near Corpus Christi Texas. I heard a mention of it on Fox News, and then a short story on network news. Does anyone have any more details?  I saw a post on the YouTube site for ”Grand Adventures”, where they didn’t feel comfortable dry camping on a portion of South Padre Island.

Comments

• Options
    ChrisFixChrisFix Member Posts: 725
    After two years of looking and considering...finally the proud owner of a 2021 T@B 400 Boondock!
    2023 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E with Redarc Trailer Brake Controller
  • Options
    lkc001lkc001 Member Posts: 734
    That's just horrible--I just saw the short article about it.
    2016 Nissan Frontier SV V6 4x4
    Finally!  New Owner of a 2017 Tab 320S! 
    Woohoo!
  • Options
    N7SHG_HamN7SHG_Ham Member Posts: 1,261
    I read about this. Horrible!

It does make me pause and think about camping in remote areas, of course if something seems off, I don't stop, but you know, what do you do a day or two in and some unsavory characters show up? I think time to start packing a gun for situations like this, I don't really know what else you could do. Obviously you aren't going to have time to break camp and make a run for it, I don't know, what would you do?
    2019 T@B 400 Boondock Lite
  • Options
    jpi68jpi68 Member Posts: 80
    Makes me think... When we first bought our T@B a year ago my 89-year-old Mother who had RV’d for years asked us if we had a gun. Just shocked me that my mother would say something like that. But now, I think I understand what she was saying.
  • Options
    CbusguyCbusguy Member Posts: 771
    I saw the grand adventure story as well.   The location they were looking to boondocks  was just a crossed a waist deep River from Mexico.  You can say what you want but a lot of bad things happen a long the border. 

They made the correct decision by staying in a nearby RV park.  I would have never boondocked at that spot either,. It was too close to the border and too secluded.

There is a risk boondocking remote secluded spots.....you need to trust your Spidey senses and get the heck out of there if something doesn't seem right.     

A fire arm is not the answer for most folks.  Unless your prepared to carry it everywhere you go chances are you won't have it when you need it

2009 GMC Canyon,   3.7 liter 
    2020 320s Boondock lite, With Lots of mods
  • Options
    VermontSueVermontSue Member Posts: 4
    Looks like they were in Padre island, not South Padre Island.  I watched the Grand Adventure episode also in which they opted for a paid site but that was South Padre Island.  In any case, this is so very sad and tragic.  That said, it is also an unusual event.  I remember years ago when I was doing a lot of backpacking and a couple of women were murdered on the Appalachian Trail.  I kept backpacking, solo, as I'd rather do the things I am passionate about than live in fear.  Of course, we all need to listen to our gut when something seems off. 

• Options
    faithfaith Member Posts: 7
    I'm not up on the most recent handgun laws, but I know they can vary by state.  In order to carry a firearm in your vehicle/rv, all the states you pass through would have to honor your concealed carry permit, right?  

What other self-defense measures are available?  Mace.  Taser/stun gun.  Knife.  

Even with a firearm, you'd have to be pretty handy and level-headed to use it well in an unexpected emergency.

• Options
    DougHDougH Member Posts: 1,110
    2021 Jeep Gladiator, 2021 tiny toy hauler, Austin TX
    Former steward of a 2017 T@B S Max

• Options
    GatorEggGatorEgg Member Posts: 452
    No on concealed permit.  Some states don’t recognized my states(Florida) permit.  But they do allow to transport in a vehicle while following the particular states rules.
    If you plan to carry a weapon, be it a handgun, mace etc, you are expected to get training.
    2022 TAB 400 Boondock, 2019 Toyota Tacoma Sport 4x4
    2018 TAB 320 Boondock (previous)
    Odessa, Fl.  

• Options
    Tabaz Tabaz Member Posts: 2,357
    For those who do not carry a firearm, the Kimber Pepper Blaster might be a viable alternative:
    https://www.kimberamerica.com/pepper-blaster

$34 on Amazon.  Can be left in a hot vehicle and is not considered a "firearm."
    2016 Outback 320 with a 2010 Ford Expedition.
  • Options
    tabiphiletabiphile Member Posts: 426
    Tabaz said:
    For those who do not carry a firearm, the Kimber Pepper Blaster might be a viable alternative:

Actually pepper spray is proven more effective than sidearms for emergency protection. A sidearm requires practice and skill to serve it's purpose. Pepper spray can be used effectively without significant practice.
    Accuracy is not necessary with spray.
    That said, a P220 displayed appropriately can be an effective disincentive.
  • Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    The problem with pepper spray is that it can only be used outside, and you'd better not be downwind. You'll still get some in your face. BTW, it's against the law to use bear spray on a human. That'll buy you a few seconds, but you may also be compromised. A stun device (skin contact needed) also only gives you a few seconds, but lithium battery technology has allowed more than one zap (up to 10 at 35 million volts). In order to use a gun, it has to be loaded and accessible. To do this, conceal and carry permits in one state may not be recognized in other states. DC does not recognize any state's permits and it's near impossible to get one unless you work in their police dept (exceptions are made, e.g. military police/ret. military police of certain ranks).
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    edited November 2019
    Honestly, if I am in an area I feel the need to carry.....regardless of any carry rules, I am going to carry.  

Just use some common sense

@Ratkity if I am pulling a weapon in defense it will get used regardless of where I am.    

If you hesitate you fail
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    I discussed the topic with my brother, who served as a Marine. He told me that unless I was 100% sure ai was prepared to use deadly force, I shouldn't get one.

A can personally attest to the efficacy of bear spray. But, again, not for a small enclosed space.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,427
    edited November 2019
    Not only does one state not necessarily honor a weapons permit from another state, firearm laws in general are complex and can vary widely from place to place. Every state has their own specific definitions regarding transport, ownership (an overnight stop at KOA may no longer be transport but possession), concealed and open carry, restricted locations (even with a carry permit), use of deadly force, and allowable legal action (both criminal and civil) after a deadly force incident.
    In short, tossing a gun in your glove box and tooling around the country is not something to be done impulsively. I'm not campaigning one way or the other, but weighed against the infinitesimally small probability of being the victim of random violence--not to mention the probablility you're going to use your gun effectively in such a circumstance--you may decide the exposure to so much additional responsibility and liability are not really worth it.
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    A cheap and legal alternative to all the above could be a large can of hornet spray that shoots out 20-30’.   As RV owners and fellow travelers you need to be alert, leave yourself an out and do whatever works best for you.  Remote camping and boondocking is fun, but also places you in areas where obtaining help from law enforcement and medical assistance is minimal.   I go with my gut feeling and have moved camp several times for this reason.   

The above story is heartbreaking and is a reminder that things don’t always go as planned, that we need to keep our guard up, stay alert and protect ourselves and our loved ones.  I recall a similar event where a couple was murdered, their RV was set on fire and that the perpetrators were escaped convicts.   When I travel I do have a means of protecting myself and my family.  

Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
  • Options
    monamona Member Posts: 241
    Your best defense is listening to your gut, and being aware of your surroundings. I am a 65 year old, solo woman camper. I camp year round. I’ve never felt unsafe, yet. That said, camping in season at a campground, at a rally, or with a group of friends is one thing. Camping in the winter in a deserted campground where I am the only camper around for days isn’t any different than boondocking, and is a whole different ball game, and I “pack” accordingly. Plus, a 50 pound Aussie, that isn’t too fond of intruders coming on the camp site, unless he’s been introduced off site first. The one thing about a gun for defense, you better be prepared and willing to use it, or it will be used on you. Personally, I’d rather have it and not need it, than not have it and wish I did. 

Jeannie

2015 T@b S Max  white with silver trim. 2018 GC Trailhawk. 
  • Options
    jgram2jgram2 Member Posts: 1,522
    While camping at a KOA in Nebraska this summer, my DH noticed a fellow camper was wearing a holstered gun; we were chatting about our dogs and I was oblivious to the gun. So much for my powers of observation. When DH asked the campground manager about the posted rules prohibiting firearms, he replied he hadn’t noticed and suggested the camper was a lawman who are allowed to carry, even when retired. I was neither comforted nor worried by the gun, but interested in the invisible “fine print” of the campground rules. I didn’t bother looking at the gun laws in Nebraska.
    John, Judi, Guinness & OD in PDX
    T@Bit@t 2015 S Max Outback, ‘18 V6 4Runner 

• Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,427
    @jgram2, rules applied by private entities on private property likely don't carry the same force of law. If you disobey, you may be asked to leave--either by the owner or by the police at the owner's request. Again, I expect this varies from state to state as well, and is another element of the law that gunslingers may want be knowledgeable of.
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    edited November 2019
    More food for thought. . . . I work for a public transportation agency and we have our own private security force, most of whom are ex-military and/or police officers.  They deal with a great number of homeless, drug addicts, mental issues, etc in Downtown Denver---they tell stories of not only their pepper spray not working at times, but also a stun gun not working if that person is on a particular kind of drug.  So those two items may or may not help you.

Woohoo!
  • Options
    MarcelineMarceline Member Posts: 1,503
    lkc001 said:
    More food for thought. . . . I work for a public transportation agency and we have our own private security force, most of whom are ex-military and/or police officers.  They deal with a great number of homeless, drug addicts, mental issues, etc in Downtown Denver---they tell stories of not only their pepper spray not working at times, but also a stun gun not working if that person is on a particular kind of drug.  So those two items may or may not help you.

I don’t think that it’s a good idea to extrapolate from the experiences of those in law enforcement. First, by definition they are dealing with all sorts of criminals way more often than any of us in the general population. Second, I don’t know about your private security officers, but my friend in federal law enforcement is required to regularly practice his firearm skills. 
    If you’re staying at campgrounds that are so skanky that they’re attracting hopped up meth heads who can walk through pepper spray, the solution isn’t to get a gun, the solution is to get the heck out and don’t stay at those kinds of campgrounds. 
    San Francisco Bay Area
    2013 CS-S us@gi
    Battered but trusty 3.5l V6 Hyundai Santa Fe
    2015 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner Double Cab
  • Options
    TabneroTabnero Member Posts: 221
    @Cbusguy, I dont see this as a border issue. This suspect is a white guy, many miles from border. The remote location is not that remote, you can just drive down the beech to it. I think it points to being aware of your surroundings and be prepared to defend yourself anywhere you go.
  • Options
    monamona Member Posts: 241
    Oh my, in my response, I think I gave the impression that I have a gun on me all the time. What I should have said, is that I pack the T@B the differently by taking a gun with me. Where I camp, I’m not breaking any laws. My T@B is my domicile, just as my home is, and I am legally allowed to defend it. I don’t have have a permit to carry. I can’t legally have it on my person. The gun is in the T@B, loaded. 

Not it a gun slinger jeannie
    2015 T@b S Max  white with silver trim. 2018 GC Trailhawk. 
  • Options
    @Marceline. My comments were not extrapolating— my comment was about the effectiveness of those defense items & chances are if you run across someone intent on harm they probably are hopped up on something 
    Woohoo!
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    In my travels, I have found 99.9% of all people are good, decent and law abiding citizens. Most wouldn’t hesitate to help out in a time of need. 

I do believe the murder of the couple in Texas was an isolated incident that just happened. The incident will not stop me from traveling and enjoying myself. Of course I will still be aware of my surroundings and those who enter into my surroundings. 

I always listen to my gut and if it says go, then I go. There’s other places to camp, even if it is a rest park or a truck stop or a more expensive RV park. 

We will always find ways to defend ourselves from any unforeseen obstacles, my favorite being a purpleheart walking stick (heavy, extremely dense wood) that is close by. Whatever you choose, be sure to keep it close if your “gut” says so, And just camp happily on. 

As RZRBUG used to say, “Happy Trails, y’all!”. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    TampakayakerTampakayaker Member Posts: 554
    While you wouldn't want to use it inside, one of those orange Orion flare guns would be a deterrent, and seems like they are legal in most states. Just make sure you aim for the largest part of the attackers body.
    2006 RAM 1500 4 door, 2016 T@B 320 MAX S 
    Tampa FL
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    While you wouldn't want to use it inside, one of those orange Orion flare guns would be a deterrent, and seems like they are legal in most states. Just make sure you aim for the largest part of the attackers body.
    Please do not use a flare gun for your safety in a fire ban....starting a forest fire would certainly be dangerous for more people. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    gspdxgspdx Member Posts: 208
    The reality is bad things can happen while camping, going to the grocery, or in your home.  It doesn't depend on whether you live in an urban environment or are out boondocking somewhere.

With that said I am not trying to downplay this horrible situation.  I am just saying we shouldn't feel too safe no matter where we are.  As was stated earlier you do need to be aware of what is going on around you and that should include your neighborhood.  

Here is an article from an incident that happened in a state park here in Oregon.  Nobody staying in the campground was hurt, but this shows that being in a "controlled" campground doesn't ensure everything will be OK.  https://www.kgw.com/article/news/crime/man-with-three-guns-arrested-at-beverly-beach-state-park/283-e46ec39c-70e5-4e8d-80a0-2a9b05c14263

We all need to be aware of our surroundings and take the kinds of steps we feel necessary to improve our safety.  Nobody can ever be 100% safe.  And no one method will protect you from every possible event. 

So be aware, do what you are comfortable with to improve your security, and get out there and enjoy life!

2019 T@B 400 BDL
    2018 Ford F-150 2.7L Ecoboost with tow package
    PNW
  • Options
    edited November 2019
    @tabnero I am aware of that,  but there are a lot of bad folks crossing that border in both directions for a variety of reasons.    For that reason alone I wouldn't camp there.     

Dirt bags come in all the colors of the rainbow.    

@Tampakayaker if you start a brush fire with the flare,  you are responsible for the cost fighting it and damages.