Options

Couple Murdered while camping on the Gulf Coast

2»

Comments

• Options
    TampakayakerTampakayaker Member Posts: 554
    Cbusguy said:
    @tabnero I am aware of that,  but there are a lot of bad folks crossing that border in both directions for a variety of reasons.    For that reason alone I wouldn't camp there.     

Dirt bags come in all the colors of the rainbow.    

@Tampakayaker if you start a brush fire with the flare,  you are responsible for the cost fighting it and damages.   
    Well wouldn't the guy on fire that you hit be responsible? :-)
    2006 RAM 1500 4 door, 2016 T@B 320 MAX S 
    Tampa FL
  • Options
    DougHDougH Member Posts: 1,110
    There's also a lot of good people crossing the border too.  Personal knowledge of plenty folks who have to cross for affordable health care. Sadness. 
    2021 Jeep Gladiator, 2021 tiny toy hauler, Austin TX
    Former steward of a 2017 T@B S Max

• Options
    ObiruObiru Member Posts: 25
    Looks like they were in Padre island, not South Padre Island.  I watched the Grand Adventure episode also in which they opted for a paid site but that was South Padre Island.  In any case, this is so very sad and tragic.  That said, it is also an unusual event.  I remember years ago when I was doing a lot of backpacking and a couple of women were murdered on the Appalachian Trail.  I kept backpacking, solo, as I'd rather do the things I am passionate about than live in fear.  Of course, we all need to listen to our gut when something seems off. 

Yes they were in North Padre Island which is close to Corpus Christi. I’m from this area and it’s normally very safe.
  • Options
    ObiruObiru Member Posts: 25
    mona said:
    Your best defense is listening to your gut, and being aware of your surroundings. I am a 65 year old, solo woman camper. I camp year round. I’ve never felt unsafe, yet. That said, camping in season at a campground, at a rally, or with a group of friends is one thing. Camping in the winter in a deserted campground where I am the only camper around for days isn’t any different than boondocking, and is a whole different ball game, and I “pack” accordingly. Plus, a 50 pound Aussie, that isn’t too fond of intruders coming on the camp site, unless he’s been introduced off site first. The one thing about a gun for defense, you better be prepared and willing to use it, or it will be used on you. Personally, I’d rather have it and not need it, than not have it and wish I did. 

Jeannie

I think this is the right attitude. This kind of thing is nothing new.  It’s just that nowadays, they get more publicity. Especially when it’s anywhere near the border certain news outlets will play it up.  If you’re camping by yourself, man or woman, you should have protection and be prepared to use it.  I think your 50lb Aussie will stop anything from happening but it’s nice to know you have backup. Chances are minimal that you’ll ever have an issue.
  • Options
    CbusguyCbusguy Member Posts: 771
    @DougH I know some canadians of means heading south because the dont want to wait for the canadian health system to take care of their needs.

Funny because I run to canada to buy my sons insulin.     $30 a vial vs $360 here.   cheaper than my 80/20 copay.....
    2009 GMC Canyon,   3.7 liter 
    2020 320s Boondock lite, With Lots of mods