Construction details

GeetarzGeetarz Member Posts: 18
edited February 2023 in Trailer & Towing
Hi, I joined the group today, nice to meet you. hope I’ve not started a conversation that exists, but I could not find one. We are picking up our new Tab 400 in two days. I was wondering, as I’ve been told two different things, if the side panels have a plywood core and are also coated with Azdel or if they are free of wood completely. I am hoping that NüCamp has done something to avoid the fiberglass over wood delamination issues of other manufacturers. One dealer told me the outer layer of the side walls was fiberglass, and the roof was Azdel, but some sources imply the entire exterior is Azdel. Thanks in advance!
T@B 400 2020

Comments

• GeetarzGeetarz Member Posts: 18
    It is a 2020, BTW
    T@B 400 2020
  • atlasbatlasb Member Posts: 583
    https://azdelonboard.com/ The side walls and now also (i believe) the floors are Azdel.  The roof is a single piece of aluminum stretched on.  There is an alum inner structure in the construction.  Only plywood is Marine grade in the interior panels and structure. 

2018 T@B 400, 2017 Nissan Titan Crew cab
  • Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,460
    edited November 2019
    Walls and floor construction are wood free.  Aluminum grid floor with foam core sandwiched with a combination of composite floor, Azdel and vapor barrier.  I think the walls are a thin veneer of fiberglass over Azdel, foam core, more Azdel, then the inside finish.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
    edited November 2019
    This is great news, thank you both. The dealer told me the roof was Azdel as well, but being one piece, it did not make sense to me. So is the aluminum stretched over from front to back is simply painted, or coated with something stronger? I was so impressed with the build quality, efficiency of space, component quality and design. As a ship’s Master in the Merchant Marines, I can tell you that it would be admiral’s quarters to have something like this on a ship. We can’t wait to put her to use. Nice meeting you, and thanks again. I’m sure my newbieness will give me more reasons in the spring to learn from you, as it is our first trailer. A winter cover is on the way, as VT has some tough, long winters.
    T@B 400 2020
  • Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,460
    edited November 2019
    The thin aluminum cover is clear coated - no paint.  The only recent TaB that I know of that was painted was the Sofitel models.  

Also, the floors have 2 layers of Azdel - one above the foam core and one below.  
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • dragonsdoflydragonsdofly Member Posts: 1,916
    @Geetarz, welcome and congrats on your trailer!  Many adventures await. Happy t@bbing!
    2017 t@b sofitel(Dr@gonsFly)TV 2015 Silverado 2500hd(Behemoth). Wyandotte, Michigan.
    Draco dormiens numquam titilandus.
  • atlasbatlasb Member Posts: 583
    There are a couple videos of tour of the 400 under construction on the  line at NU Camp.  Think there is one with Paul the airforce guy on you tube. maybe some one on here knows where to find them.
    2018 T@B 400, 2017 Nissan Titan Crew cab
  • BaylissBayliss Member Posts: 1,299
    edited November 2019
    Here's the January 2019 factory video of the T@B 400:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yAqjQGHSDb8

February 2019 (T@B 400) - - may be the same, or very similar, to the above video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LRTITJw0QiI

June 2018 (T@B 400):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lBDgzCYjxZM

June 2018 (T@B 320):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=goJTMwQXVLU

Factory Tour (January 2019):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WVUkSDVYcwM
    2019 T@B 320 S Boondock Lite2007 Toyota Tundra 4x4
    (Alde: 3020; Refrig: Isotherm Cruise 65 Eleg; Battery: BB 100Ah LiFePo4; Solar: Renogy 100Ah Suitcase; Victron BMV-712; Pwr Cntr: PD-4135KW2B; EMS: PI-HW30C)
    Greg & Marlene (Tucson, AZ)

I was not sure where to ask this... but, since my new 400 which I brought home today did not have a manual or a flash drive, and the Nucamp site only has a 2017 manual, I am stumped about a bunch of things. One small one... where do you guys stow the center cushion when it is dinette mode? Having that cushion flopping around with nowhere to stow it seems odd. Thanks!
    T@B 400 2020
  • VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    I press it into place on top of the mattress and under the wooden board that have the lights for the bed on it. It’s like a soft headboard. I am 5’4”, so this may or may not work for you depending on your height. 

I have also left it at home when I knew I wasn’t going to need the sofa or bed configuration. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
    thanks, that may work for us. Too bad there is no storage under the bed! We’ll figure something out. I wanted to make sure I simply was not noticing a special place where it was meant to be stowed.
    T@B 400 2020
  • RFraerRFraer Member Posts: 87

I got the flash drive when I purchased the 400 six week age but it looks like the   same 2017 manual that is online.

I’ll call Nucamp and see what’s available. I’ve never had a trailer before, and something showing the whole system and where things are located, what they are, etc... would be very helpful. The pile of manuals for each system are fine, but it does not really show how they integrate and work within the design of the trailer. Thanks!
    T@B 400 2020
  • PamandJohnUpNorth2PamandJohnUpNorth2 Member Posts: 141
    @Geetarz @RFraer You'll find a couple user-written manuals with more expansive information on the T@B400 at the link that follows:         https://tab-rv.vanillacommunity.com/discussion/6371/t-b-owners-manuals#latest
    Pam and John
    Champlin, Minnesota
    2018 T@B400 and a 2018 Ridgeline 

• N7SHG_HamN7SHG_Ham Member Posts: 1,261
    @Geetarz Good luck but I think you will find documentation isn't a high priority, the original 2017 doc for the 400 is it.

The user written manual is a good resource and I would get that and from the two you will have about all the written documentation.
    2019 T@B 400 Boondock Lite
    I spoke to the folks at Nucamp and they are currently working on updating all manuals. Thanks for the replies!
    T@B 400 2020
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 92
    edited November 2019
    Anyone know know how thick the foam core in between the Azdel is? In the NuCamp factory tour videos, what are the slats on the roof that are then covered with aluminum made of?
  • dragonsdoflydragonsdofly Member Posts: 1,916
    @Missstsomewhere, except for the cabinetry, and a luan piece or two to cover the alde hoses/fins in the far back, I don't think there is any wood used during the construction of a t@b. The cabin part of the t@b has an aluminum frame, front to back, both sides and floor is made of an azdel kind of sandwich.

Will one of our resident experts post a pic of this azdel sandwich for @l@missstsomewhere? Thanks in advance.
    2017 t@b sofitel(Dr@gonsFly)TV 2015 Silverado 2500hd(Behemoth). Wyandotte, Michigan.
    Draco dormiens numquam titilandus.
    edited November 2019
    Thank you!  I actually know what it looks like, I was wondering a) how thick the foam is in between the Azdel? b) what is the material used on the roof under the aluminum? 
  • dCliffhangerdCliffhanger Member Posts: 120
    Thank you!  I actually know what it looks like, I was wondering a) how thick the foam is in between the Azdel? b) what is the material used on the roof under the aluminum? 
    I've heard, and also measured at the factory, 1 inch of styrofoam insulation throughout. I will note that this is between each of the square tubes the cage is made of. That means that, except for the thin adzel layer on the inside, there is no insulation where the tubes come across. In chilly weather you will find condensation actually dripping from the ceiling every 8 inches or so where each cold cage member comes across .  You will learn to open windows, and vent a crack to minimize this accumulation - even inside the cabinetry. Nucamp could, I think, address this with at least a thin layer of insulation either under the aluminum skin or the adzel. I found myself keeping a dish towel handy to wipe this condensation. My experience was at temp between 35-45 degrees. I imagine it will be worse in colder weather.
    Ron\ 2020 T@B 320-S Boondock Edge; Roof Solar, Firefly Grp31 Carbon Foam Battery; TV: 2019 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk 3.6l V6; Madison, Wi
    edited November 2019
    I was afraid if that. Coachman uses 2 inches of polypropylene insulation in the Azdel panels and others use 1.5. 1 inch is less than the industry standard and will do the minimum of insulating and soundproofing. As for condensation, I expect that anyway and crack the roof vent. 
  • dCliffhangerdCliffhanger Member Posts: 120
    I was afraid if that.
    I will say though, that I've been testing the Alde hydronic heating system and it's the cat's meow as far as I'm concerned. Makes NO noise as it, slowly, heats up your space. With whatever insulation there is, I've found it can maintain 70 degree temperature even with near zero outside temperatures. And, it can do it using only 0.7 amps of power burning propane meaning it can keep you warm off-grid forever with solar. Or, it can run on shore power or both at same time. The quiet is really nice with no noisy blower ever running. Once figured it out, we were able to minimize the condensation issue.
    Ron\ 2020 T@B 320-S Boondock Edge; Roof Solar, Firefly Grp31 Carbon Foam Battery; TV: 2019 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk 3.6l V6; Madison, Wi
    edited November 2019
    That’s awesome!  Can’t beat the Alde for heat. All in all good little campers. I’d like to see them double the polypropylene in the Azdel panels though.