Options

My Alde Just Clicks When I Try to Start it on Propane - Works on Electric (2015 Outback)

I started the stove, so no air in the line. Fuses are OK. Blew out some of the vents. Help please!
2015 Boondock

Comments

• Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,421
    What exactly happens when you turn on the propane? It is it a single click than nothing, or do you hear the fan come on followed by repeated clicks prior to the shutdown?
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    michaelroyymichaelroyy Member Posts: 30
    I am not sure if I have the manual slider set correctly. If I just want to run on LP, not shore power, what settings should I have it on? One-week old T@B owner learning. Loooove this forum.
    2015 Boondock
  • Options
    falcon1970falcon1970 Member Posts: 755
    @michaelroyy
    I have no experience with anything other than the TAB 400.  I would think that all of the Alde systems are very similar though.
    In mine I hear a single (very slight) click when the unit starts on propane.  After that it is very quiet.  That, however, differs from what several other users have reported.
    There are a couple of ways you can check to see if it is actually heating.  You can check to see if you have any warm (or maybe hot) exhaust air at the external exhaust port.  You can also check the glycol (actually more properly called "Heat Transfer Fluid") reservoir to see if there is any bubbling in the tank.  When the pump is cycling fluid through the lines it draws from the reservoir and there will be some fluid motion visible at the port.  Some people have mentioned that this bubbling is rather loud, but I have not experienced this.
    You will NOT feel a stream of warm air from the various vents in the trailer.  After a while in operation, if the system is in fact running, you will feel warmth from the vents but not a flow of air.
  • Options
    Thanks for this falcon. I am getting heat because I am feeling the black pipes and they are warm. What I don't know is if it is from my shore power or my propane. I am not sure how to set the manual slider for propane only.
    2015 Boondock
  • Options
    Tabaz Tabaz Member Posts: 2,356
    The middle slide is for propane.  This photo shows the propane in the OFF position.  The far left slider is for the electric heat.  Disregard the triple lighting bolts - those are for European models.  The far right slider controls the water heater boiler.

2016 Outback 320 with a 2010 Ford Expedition.
  • Options
    pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,642
    A manual Alde setting thread, including the page from the Alde manual that describes the different settings.

You do have a manual?  If not:

2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
  • Options

Thank you both for this feedback. I will the directions to set it on propane only to see if there is heat forthcoming. Love you all for helping me and others.
    2015 Boondock
  • Options
    I am not sure if I have the manual slider set correctly. If I just want to run on LP, not shore power, what settings should I have it on? One-week old T@B owner learning. Loooove this forum.
    To emphasize, you need to have BOTH the middle slider up to turn the propane on and have the right slider up to select the function (heat and hot water or just hot water).
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    edited November 2019
    Tabaz said:
    Disregard the triple lighting bolts - those are for European models. 
    The three lightning bolts is a real setting, even for North American Aldes.
    The one- and two-lightening-bolts each activate one of the two 950W electric heaters. To turn on both heaters (for a total of 1900W) you need to choose the three-lightening-bolt position.
    The European models work the same way, except one heater is larger than the other (1050W vs. 2100W). In effect, this allows for three truly different power level settings.
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    TabberJohnTabberJohn Member Posts: 588
    edited November 2019
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought the model was the same but the max wattage output differs due to 220 volts (EU) versus 110 volts (US).
    2015 T@B Max S (White/Silver) -> 2014 Ford Escape 2.0L (turbo, AWD, factory tow)
  • Options
    edited November 2019
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought the model was the same but the max wattage output differs due to 220 volts (EU) versus 110 volts (US).
    You are correct. The higher line voltage in Europe allows for a larger heater to be installed in the second position.
    I checked the numbers and corrected my statement above. 240V European models have a 1050W heater and a 2100W heater, with a combined heating output of 3150W. This would draw a maximum of ~13A.
    That much wattage would draw over 26A at 120V, so North American models are outfitted with two 950W heaters, with a combined output of 1900W (drawing a maximum of ~16A).
    Regardless, the analog (slider) control panel works the same way in both cases.
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    Tabaz Tabaz Member Posts: 2,356
    While my recollection of how to use the sliders is obviously flawed  =), at least I provided a photo of the darn thing.
    2016 Outback 320 with a 2010 Ford Expedition.
  • Options
    I have put the middle slider up and the right slider up on heat and water and it WORKS!!! Does this mean that I am running on propane because I don't have the first slider up at all? Thank you, thank you ScottG and others!!!
    2015 Boondock
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,489
    Correct - just on LPG.  You can use electric and LPG at the same time.  The LPG kicks on until you reach cabin temperature and kicks on again when the temp drops a few degrees below your thermostat setting.  I think the zero on the dial is 72 degrees.  
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    Yes, per @Sharon_is_SAM says.
    Also, when both electric and propane are used together, it heats up the Alde fluid more quickly, thus can bring the Tab (or the Tab's hot water) up to temperature faster.
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    NomadPilgrimNomadPilgrim Member Posts: 111
    There has to be some sort of power to start the Alde, whether battery or shore.
    2016 T@B Maxx CS-S  following a 2008 4Runner Ltd

Be brave. Take risks. Nothing can substitute experience.-
    Paulo Coelho
  • Options
    There has to be some sort of power to start the Alde, whether battery or shore.
    Agree. To elaborate, the Alde electronics specifically require 12V power (either from the converter or the battery)
    2015 T@B S